Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/10/2018 9:13:28 PM EDT
Thinking about taking the local class to start.

Talk me in or out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on guns and ammo...
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Rode tons, raced road, dirt, and ice.

If you're middle aged, then skip it.
If you're young, take the class.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the class.

Pass the test.

Get the endorsement on your DL.

Then decide.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Take the class. Over 400k lifetime miles in 46 years of riding and I still take the occasional class to keep skills sharp.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Class is the best way to start out, a good low-investment way to try it out and see if you'd like to pursue it.

The usual pointers if you decide to continue:
Budget more than you think youll need for gear
Don't buy the bike you really want for your first bike, because you'll likely fuck it up
Everyone on the road will try to kill you and won't even care

You have to accept that fact that every time you get on the bike, there's a very real chance you won't be coming home.

Been riding for over 10 years, wouldn't give it up for the world.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Have fun, take the class then start shopping around.  Try to figure out the type of riding that you are interested in before laying down money on a bike.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Cut the muffler off, and whilst at red lights, quickly rev your engine every couple seconds.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't listen to this guy. Take the class. If it's through MSF it's a good class. You'll learn a lot and passing the class will get you a discount on motorcycle insurance.

FYI I didn't know how to ride. Took the class, almost passed with a perfect score. I was 30 when I took it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Do it
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
My advice?
Don't ride w a passenger on back

My wife is kinda BIG and everytime she rode with me I couldn't keep front wheel on the ground..
Hit a bump in the road one tima and bottomed it out and then bounced so hard the front tire didn't come down for a block and half..
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jesus.

Take the class no matter your age.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Rode for over 30 years. Got hit 3 times. Last time I ended up underneath a Buick driven by an old lady.

Had 7 bikes in the garage at one time. Last one was a BMW R100S take you could ride all day over 100mph and it would idle back to normal idle when you stopped.

I miss it, but I can still walk and after the last time I was hit wife asked me to quit.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have fun, take the class then start shopping around.  Try to figure out the type of riding that you are interested in before laying down money on a bike.
View Quote
The kind of riding I want to do has an easy answer. Half of my desire is just for something fun and laid back for Sunny day commuting/ cruising around town with nowhere to go. the other half is litterally "because I haven't tried it yet"
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Jesus.

View Quote
I wasn't telling him to skip training if he's middle aged, I was telling him to pass on the entire idea of riding.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jesus.

View Quote
I'm 52 and finally took the class. 2/3 of the people in my class had been riding forever and wanted to get legal.  I learned things.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]
MSF course is fun. I didn't start riding until I was 26. Go for it
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
The class i am looking at is from LSP (Louisiana State Police). 100 bucks with a bike included. exempt from the riding and written test when i apply for the endorsement
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The class i am looking at is from LSP (Louisiana State Police). 100 bucks with a bike included. exempt from the riding and written test when i apply for the endorsement
View Quote
It's a hundred well spent. Take the class, learn a ton, and see if you like it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My advice?
Don't ride w a passenger on back

My wife is kinda BIG and everytime she rode with me I couldn't keep front wheel on the ground..
Hit a bump in the road one tima and bottomed it out and then bounced so hard the front tire didn't come down for a block and half..
View Quote
Haha what. More stories please.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Class is the best way to start out, a good low-investment way to try it out and see if you'd like to pursue it.

Don't buy the bike you really want for your first bike, because you'll likely fuck it up

You have to accept that fact that every time you get on the bike, there's a very real chance you won't be coming home.

View Quote
Oh i figured..

What i WANT is an indian scout... what i am looking at is anything on craigs list that isn't a sport bike.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Stay focused and always pay attention to everything around you.

Assume you are invisible to everyone - because you are.

Stay as far away from other vehicles as possible, and don't stay beside large trucks. Either stay back or zip by them.

Never drink at all and ride.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Take the class.  I will be signing my son up for a class this spring as he wants to start riding with me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Classes are for pussies,so are license endorsements and helmets. Get a Harley,a Sons of Anarchy vest and become a road captain.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I never took a class.

But I started riding when I was 10.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#27]
If your going to ride take the class and get some good riding gear.

Live to ride, Ride to die

It's not if you'll go down it's when you'll go down.

If you have a family they will miss you when a car splatters you

I started riding when I was 12, I'm 56 now, sold my last bike about 5 years ago.
I've slid across pavement a couple times to many and had to many close calls.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stay focused and always pay attention to everything around you.

Assume you are invisible to everyone - because you are.

Stay as far away from other vehicles as possible, and don't stay beside large trucks. Either stay back or zip by them.

Never drink at all and ride.
View Quote
Good pointers for OP.

Take the class OP.  Enjoy yourself. Learn something new.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Have you been in a car accident where you were driving since you were 18?  If so, pass on the riding.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm 30 and this is my 4th riding season. I started out on a Grom 125cc in the local neighborhoods. Now I have a 250cc dirtbike (Kawi KLX250s) that I ride local and in trails and a 650cc dual sport (suzuki DR650) that I take on longer stretches of highway.

I like enduro bikes, they are generally pretty mellow in the throttle and acceleration department, good suspension travel soaks up poor road surfaces, and the tall seats and upright posture helps keep you visible, and gives you a nice perspective of the road around you. They are also built to be dropped without ruining the bodywork.

My friend's SV650 tipped over on it's side stand while stopped, busted one of his mirror's and signals clean off plus damaged a fairing piece. My KLX250 has flipped over itself energetically while absolutely yard-saling myself in gnarly single track trail riding and while it's scraped up a bunch all of the body panels are soundly attached and mostly undamaged.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Motorcycles are awesome.
Ride as though everyone is out to get you.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Take the class, assuming it's MSF.
Pay close attention to the defensive driving education, it WILL save your life.

Been a licenced rider for 46 years now, started riding 9 years prior to that (thanks Dad).
Had my share of scrapes and have ridden just about any type of motorcycle you can imagine.

Get the proper gear, it is also a life saver.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Oh i figured..

What i WANT is an indian scout... what i am looking at is anything on craigs list that isn't a sport bike.
View Quote
Check out a Honda vtx 1300.  Can pretty much steal them right now.  Great starter bike.  Rock solid reliable and you wont want to cry if you tip it over.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wasn't telling him to skip training if he's middle aged, I was telling him to pass on the entire idea of riding.
View Quote
Why?

What does age have to do with it?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#35]
If you want, you can start on dirt... it will make you a better rider. Then take the class.

I did it backwards:
I bought my first big bike at 30, and then took the class.  About 4 years later I bought a dirt bike, even after street riding for four years I became technically much better after a year on the dirt.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oh i figured..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh i figured..

If you want a scout, buy a scout.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm back on two wheels after a 29 year absence, and my bike is a '99 Harley Road King. I ride every day it's not raining, even when it was in the upper 30s here today. I've also been watching a lot of Jerry 'The Motorman' Paladino's videos on YouTube, as his specialties are low-speed maneuvering on big bikes.

I'm going to take the Advanced MSF course in a few months, though, mainly for the insurance discount.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm back on two wheels after a 29 year absence, and my bike is a '99 Harley Road King. I ride every day it's not raining, even when it was in the upper 30s here today. I've also been watching a lot of Jerry 'The Motorman' Paladino's videos on YouTube, as his specialties are low-speed maneuvering on big bikes.

I'm going to take the Advanced MSF course in a few months, though, mainly for the insurance discount.
View Quote
I just realized you are in Tennessee. What part? I am in Kingsport and Johnson City all the time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Motorcycles are awesome.
Ride as though everyone is out to get you.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
What's the question again?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Do it, but dont wear those sandals.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
... even when it was in the upper 30s here today.
View Quote
I was up in Clarksville today for my kid's taekwondo tournament. I can vouch for that.

Do it, OP... take the class.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I never took a class.

But I started riding when I was 10.
View Quote
The class allows you to take the written and riding test right then/there.

100 bucks to bypass the 87 hour wait at the DMV is worth every penny.

I did it that way, and I started riding when I was six.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Take the class, then keep on taking classes.  Bikes are fun, other car drivers are not.  The more you educate yourself on your bike and riding it the safer you will be.  I have been riding for 22 years at this point and I don't even want to start counting the miles I have put on bikes over the years.  I still take advanced riding classes from time to time and I spend quite a bit of time in school parking lots on weekends practicing low speed turns, u-turns etc.  It is just like shooting, if you don't practice you wont be good at it.  
With that said, go take the class, get a bike you can manage (light and low cc to start out with) then progress up to something more powerful and fun.  Don't get stupid and go buy a GSX-R as your first bike, piddle around on a nice little 250cc for a while and get used to riding.
As a post script, someone already mentioned getting the right gear.  Good helmet, good jacket, good riding pants, good gloves and a good set of boots go a long way when it comes to surviving an off, they also go a long way towards preventing minor injuries too if you come off in a minor way.  Plan on spending around $1000 on gear when you buy your bike.  Its a lot of money but it will be way cheaper than skin grafts.  You can also hop on a few motorcycle forums (advrider, twtex forums, etc) and have a look there for used riding gear.  I have been given half of my gear over the years from other riders who either outgrew, or lost weight.  You can get really well equipped for very little if you are smart.  Riding around like the land pirates do in their jeans and wife beaters is not the smart option.  To quote an overused (but valid) saying "dress for the slide not the ride".  You wont be sorry.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Take the class.

Pass the test.

Get the endorsement on your DL.

Then decide.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Good advise has already been given.  Do it but please take riding very seriously.  Buy decent gear.  You probably don't need a $1500 helmet but you shouldn't be spending $50 either.  There's never a reason to not wear full gear.  I don't care how hot it is, I wear everything.  If it's too hot to wear a coat and helmet, I'll just take my car and use a/c.  Be as visible as you can be and ride as if everyone isn't seeing you (they probably don't).  Never ride close to the car in front of you, that piece of road debris isn't a big deal to them, it'll ruin your day/week/month/year/life.  Constantly scan for other vehicles and think about lane positioning and having an escape route.

Most important, have fun and enjoy it.

ETA:  My first bike was a Ducati 748 and now I'm on an Indian RoadMaster after a 14 year absence.  The Scout would make a fine first bike.  If you want a Scout, find one and go for it. There's good deals to be had on used ones, especially since winter is beginning.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nonsense. Not everyone races, most guys just want to cruise on a bagger for 50 miles and go home. Gd makes everything seem worse than it is based on their one in a trillion experience with a big bad black motorcycle.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just realized you are in Tennessee. What part? I am in Kingsport and Johnson City all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just outside Nashville.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh i figured..

not as a first bike... i will wipe out.. everyone does.. if so, I want to wreck a $1000 bike.. not a $9000 one
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top