Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 10:41:47 AM EDT
So, I'm having some work done on our garage and I'm going to have the guy install a new motion sensor spotlight set up.  Any recommendations?  I want something wired (to replace the current unit), not solar.  I don't need "smart" so it looks like they're not too expensive.  Are any better than the others or is it all "six of one.."?  Regarding the "smart" options, will they still work traditionally even if I don't have any other "smart" shit on my house?  

I was looking at this...Probrite

On the cheaper end, I was looking at this...
Costco

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittleBigHorn] [#1]
Only Rab.  In comparison, everything else is complete junk.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
i got one from homo depot a few years back that has worked fine. double light, motion activated and i just pulled off the builder installed light and put it on.

cost maybe $50.

do consider the motion light w camera option if you have security cams!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I just installed a couple of these. They're bright, adjustable sensitivity, and work as designed. No idea on long term quality, everything electric is made in china so i'm betting they're all relatively the same.

Amazon Product
  • \u301065W POWERFUL FLOOD LIGHT\u3011This 65W outdoor flood light is powered by 112 LED beads, producing up to 6500lm high brightness output, equivalent to 450W incandescent bulbs, saving 85% of your electricity bill. 100% real power.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LittleBigHorn:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate motion sensor lights.  A neighbor has one that also declares, "Hello. You are being recorded." every time it activates.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:54:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#6]
Home Depot or Lowes sells them. They are easy to install - turn off power, remove the old one and install the new one. Make any timing and sensitivity adjustments that you want.

I have them around my house they work very well.  ETA: They've been running flawlessly for almost 15 years
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#7]
How bright do you want them? I bought some solar ones for the back yard for super cheap and I’m actually surprised by them. I bought them just to see and am going to buy a few more. They were 17 for 2. They are led and pretty bright.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a better version of the one below that died after 6 years, but I replaced it with one of these. I would ever go back to another style of light the even spread of light is awesome.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-MaxDetect-240-Degree-White-Motion-Activated-Wired-Outdoor-2-Head-Dusk-to-Dawn-LED-Security-Flood-Light-2000-Lumens-17000052/324293838
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought some of the screw in replacement flood lights with the Motion sensor built in from Lowes and they have been working perfectly for 3 years.  Less than $20 ea.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:00:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Z_0] [#10]
Originally Posted By LittleBigHorn:
View Quote

RAB is the best.

I used powerful (12,640 Lumen) LED lights with a RAB sensor above my garage.  It works perfectly.  Very bright and the sensor can be adjusted to be as sensitive as you want.

Not all sensors are compatible with all LED lights.  I contacted RAB to see which LED lights are compatible with their sensors and used their recommendation.

RAB is not sold at Home Depot or Lowe's.  RAB will not honor the warranty for items sold on Amazon (as of 2020).  They will honor warranty for items sold from an authorized dealer but you are unlikely to need that.

I buy mine from Prolighting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
I had a better version of the one below that died after 6 years, but I replaced it with one of these. I would ever go back to another style of light the even spread of light is awesome.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-MaxDetect-240-Degree-White-Motion-Activated-Wired-Outdoor-2-Head-Dusk-to-Dawn-LED-Security-Flood-Light-2000-Lumens-17000052/324293838
View Quote

So those don't have replaceable "bulbs"?  Once they go, the whole thing gets replaced?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Z_0:

RAB is the best.

I used powerful (12,640 Lumen) LED lights with a RAB sensor above my garage.  It works perfectly.  Very bright and the sensor can be adjusted to be as sensitive as you want.

Not all sensors are compatible with all LED lights.  I contacted RAB to see which LED lights are compatible with their sensors and used their recommendation.

RAB is not sold at Home Depot or Lowe's.  RAB will not honor the warranty for items sold on Amazon (as of 2020).  They will honor warranty for items sold from an authorized dealer but you are unlikely to need that.

I buy mine from Prolighting.
View Quote

Since it looks like all the RAB are rated for wet environments, is there really any benefit to getting the hooded lights (other than cosmetic)?  I'm looking at the STL-110 series
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
I hate motion sensor lights.  A neighbor has one that also declares, "Hello. You are being recorded." every time it activates.
View Quote

Yeah some dude has one down the street. Trashy IMHO
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
So, I'm having some work done on our garage and I'm going to have the guy install a new motion sensor spotlight set up.  Any recommendations?  I want something wired (to replace the current unit), not solar.  I don't need "smart" so it looks like they're not too expensive.  Are any better than the others or is it all "six of one.."?  Regarding the "smart" options, will they still work traditionally even if I don't have any other "smart" shit on my house?  

I was looking at this...Probrite

On the cheaper end, I was looking at this...
Costco

Recommendations?
View Quote
Currently have the Koda on our front porch.
Been on since late fall and gets shaken by the door a lot.

Only thing is is it does not like -30f and colder.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

Since it looks like all the RAB are rated for wet environments, is there really any benefit to getting the hooded lights (other than cosmetic)?  I'm looking at the STL-110 series
View Quote

I don’t know the answer to your question. But, I found that the RAB service department was very responsive and helpful.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the ring wired camera/security light, quite happy with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top