Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/6/2022 9:35:27 PM EDT
For a kid to learn? And at what age to start? How to find a good teacher?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Systema
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I would love to be able to kick like UFC fighters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Firearms
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrestling.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Wrestling.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
BJJ + Krav Maga
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Fa Kyu, it's a Scottish martial art, made up of mostly drunken head butts.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]
77 grains at 2500 fps.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#9]
There is none greater than Ameri-Do-Te

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Finding a good instructor of any martial art is 87% of the battle. Will require time, patience and trusting your instincts after observation and gauging responses to questions. Some people are good at martial arts but suck at teaching so be prepared to spend some time and do t be afraid to get up and leave rather than being polite if red flags pop up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#11]
This comes up alot here. I think the general consensus is a place where legit mma fighters train. Bjj and wrestling skills for the ground. Boxing,kickboxing standup.  If they just punch the air and do a dance rehearsal forget it. Some kids start young. I think early teens.  I don't know how I feel teach a young kid how to choke people out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Wrestling, Krav Maga, traditional boxing.  If available, Muay Thai is the way I would go.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I’d say Krav.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Gun Kata
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Everything I learned about martial arts I learned it from Steven Seagal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Jousting
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Think of martial arts like shoes. You do t wear ballinerina slippers on a football field and you do t wear cleats on a basketball court. All martial arts have potential but only if the person actually has mastered the basics and has performed each skill 1,000 times until it’s natural reflex. There’s is no supreme martial art regardless what GD will tell you. There’s martial arts and the individual’s mastery of it. 99% of people haven’t mastered basics so people can tell me they’re this or that. I don’t give a shit. Show me, don’t tell me. You’d be surprised at the amount of people who just went thru the motions and years later really aren’t what they think they are.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#18]
As a 5th degree black belt master Taekwondo instructor, I'm going to say Brazilian Jujitsu or Judo would be good choices.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Nothing wrong with boxing.  Physical conditioning, instills toughness and teaches correct punching.  I think boxing is definitely a good starting point.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Ching-pow

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#21]
MMA has shown many have their pluses, but not are the be all end all. Either study MMA or try to master these three separate disciplines.

Wrestling
Boxing
BJJ

Honorable mention to Muay Thai for the elbows and leg kicks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Okinawan Goju Ryu is one of the most practical, well rounded arts, and the dojos often offer classes in Judo, Aikido, and other martial arts as well. As said before, instructor selection is critical, especially for kids. Vet the Sensei and talk with the parents who have already been bringing their kids there for awhile. It's critical that the kids enjoy training, and have fun doing it.

Our Sensei was a total emotional basket case who lied a lot. But he was great with the kids. At first.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#23]
MMA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#24]
No one is winning mma matches with traditional martial arts.  Punching and kicking the air in a sequence is more dancing than combat.  There is a tool for different situations. The guy that has the same box of ammo for a decade are like guys that don't put on the gloves and try for a real submission
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Wrestling and Boxing
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#26]
aikido
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wrestling and Boxing
View Quote

Yup. Put the kid on the wrestling team.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Bjj
Wrestling

Muay Thai
Boxing

All good places to start.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I started with Taekwondo. My instructor went to bjj in 2003 and I followed. It was a full mix of styles. I later did Krav. Now I'm just fat.

For younger kids I'd say judo would be a good start to things. Also any generic martial arts studio, aside from Cobra Kai, is fine until they figure out exactly what they like.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Jousting
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Ballet (maybe gymnastics) and karate at 6, wrestling at 9.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#32]
If they're a teenager, an MMA gym is going to be the best option. There, they'll learn how to strike, fight in the clinch, and grapple in a limited ruleset environment in which someone is actually trying to hurt them. There's nothing better for real world unarmed self-defense, in spite of what people who have been conned by traditional martial arts think.

If they're younger, I'd recommend going with pure BJJ until they get older.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Wrestling is free at most K-12 schools.

Golden Gloves, Police Athletic League and AAU are usually free as well. If you can't learn defensive head and foot movement you are going to get decked.

Everyone should understand Karate, Judo and Brazilian Jujitsu at better than basic levels.

Fighters win because they train hard and have a fighter's heart. That's something you are born with. Don't limit yourself to one fighting style, incorporate techniques  that work for you. Practice them a lot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Rex Kwon Do
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Rex kwon do. Forget about it!
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#37]
IMHO, my sadly departed teacher's school.
R.A.T.. BJJ, boxing PMA, and anything else useful.
Lloyd embodied the Borg of martial arts.
If it worked, we worked it.
Really miss that guy.
I'll never forget when he said that at a certain point he was more scared of what he'd do in a fight than what he'd face.
He grew up in shit circumstances.
Really miss getting beat up by him...
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Gymkata.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Wrestling
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#40]
None if they don't have fight in them. It won't matter how trained you are if you don't have it in you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wrestling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrestling.

yes!
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As a 5th degree black belt master Taekwondo instructor, I'm going to say Brazilian Jujitsu or Judo would be good choices.
View Quote

Hmm, I'm going to defer to this guy.  What he said.  Seems to me, all fights end up in a tussel.  Judo or Jujitsu learning how to get superior position.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#44]
If the child was young, I would go with the below.

Judo - preferably a non-tournament style.  If they can get good at judo, they will have a core/center that is very hard to take down.
BJJ - Overlaps some with Judo, but has a lot of ground work that judo lacks.
Wrestling - Overlaps some with BJJ.

Once a bit older, then I would look into the striking arts.

Boxing
Muay Thai
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Grandmaster level:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#46]
MMA vs. Ameri-Do-Te | Master Ken
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Firearms.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Think of martial arts like shoes. You do t wear ballinerina slippers on a football field and you do t wear cleats on a basketball court. All martial arts have potential but only if the person actually has mastered the basics and has performed each skill 1,000 times until it’s natural reflex. There’s is no supreme martial art regardless what GD will tell you. There’s martial arts and the individual’s mastery of it. 99% of people haven’t mastered basics so people can tell me they’re this or that. I don’t give a shit. Show me, don’t tell me. You’d be surprised at the amount of people who just went thru the motions and years later really aren’t what they think they are.
View Quote

It can be especially bad with the McDojos.

To learn to fight, you have to fight.

I knew more than one Black Belt from a McDojo, who got their asses kicked when they actually fought for the first time, because they'd manage to earn their Black Belt without ever fighting.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Practical for what?

"for a kid to learn" is really broad.

How to find a good teacher:

Know what you want and what your goals are. If you don't, you can't find a good teacher. This is first and the cornerstone.

Avoid places that promise you will be at X level in Y time. Avoid places that allow students to advance when they have not mastered what they are currently being taught. Do not look for the person who is best at doing the style. Look for someone who is *competent or better than that* at doing the style who ALSO knows how to teach. Don't buy that stupid old saw that those who can't do, teach, it's wrong. Look for places that are comfortable allowing serious potential customers come in and observe classes (preferably unannounced is best, they should be ok with not being able to control what observers see to a certain extent - testing may be off limits though, that's sorta normalish, esp for the higher levels). Look for places trying to impart mastery. Things like keeping students at a level if they aren't ready or able to get over it.

Smaller class sizes mean more attention from the teacher, but the tradeoff is you have less people to learn with. Having a big sparring pool *is* useful. Larger classes, less attention, bigger pools of people to try yourself against.

If you find a class that teaches the style you think fits what you want best, but the teachers and classes are not good, ... and there's also another class, in a style that fits what you want but not as closely... AND has good teachers and classes? Go for the better teacher.

Narrow your options pretty quickly by seeing what is being taught around you that you can reasonably get to AND afford.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I started with Tae Kwon Do at 8 - not practical from a defense standpoint but a lot of fun for a kid to jump around and break boards in the air. That and karate were the gateway MAs in the 80s.

get them into wrestling when they're old enough at school.

if they're still into MA, i'd roll in BJJ - it's one of the most effective 1v1 arts out there, it's fun, and it's a workout. For striking - Muy Thai (they'll have to want to learn this as traditional training and sparing can be brutal).

blade systems -  Filipino martial arts - I like Sayac or Atienza Kali, you could throw Martial Blade Concepts (MBC) in there for defensive folder use.

gun systems - not even going to touch that one here
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top