Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2022 1:22:41 AM EDT
I’m looking to change out my modem and router.

Currently I have whatever Spectrum provided and gladly charged me $10/mo. to “rent”.

I’d like to buy my own, and save the monthly fee, but have no idea what is good or how to make sure it’s compatible with Spectrums service.

A modem/Wi-Fi router combo would be nice. But if it’s better to get a separate modem and router then that’s fine too.

We have a lot of devices connected to Wi-Fi at any given time. 3 laptops in the house(not always being used), 3 phones, an arlo base station with 3 cameras and doorbell cam, 3 Roku/fire stick devices, garage door opener, thermostat, robo vacuum, couple smart appliances, etc.

Needs to have 2.4Ghz and 5ghz bands as some of our things only work on 2.4 ghz.

Anybody have experience with this?  

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Docsis 3.1 capable modem. Spectrum uses OFDM which is more efficient and more robust but only if your device is compatible with it. I strongly recommend the Arris SB8200.

Router depends on some factors. Size of house and construction? If you have large brick fireplaces or appliances right in the middle of the house you'll probably want a mesh system. My home is only 1300 sq ft and my routers sit right in the middle, so I don't use mesh. My main wifi uses and TP-Link AX6000.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks! Didn’t even occur to me to check their website. I got too looking and it spreads the modem they supplied is a Docsis 3.1 modem. And looking at my bill seems they only charge for the router. So I’ll probably just keep their modem and swap my router.

Just have to decide if I want to go with a decent regular router, or a mesh system.

Router I have now pretty much covers my whole house (2100 s.f. Two story) but maybe mesh would be better. Going to look into that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ubiquiti-amplifi-dual-band-mesh-wi-fi-system-white/6382553.p?skuId=6382553

This is all you need.  Works like a champ, and possibly the best mesh wifi system (consumer grade) out there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep the spectrum modem.
Then get wireless router that is wifi 6 compliant. If you need more range get a range extender.
I use a Tp-link router and extender and we have a ton of stuff on wifi and hardwired network since i work from home.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Spectrum called me and offered an upgrade to 400mbps service and TV for the same price I’m paying.

I had an owner modem to avoid rent, but they sent me a new one. I called to give them crap and they told me they don’t charge rent anymore.

I have their modem now. It works fine but they block access to the admin interface on them, so no checking signal levels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top