Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2022 6:34:32 PM EDT
About 20 years ago I competed in PL, using the westside method. Did pretty good. I have started lifting again in the last couple years in my home gym, using SS 5X5, then switched to 531, using the app. Did pretty good on 531, but I found myself missing the westside conjugate method. I have mixed the two and have been enjoying it greatly Nd getting good strength gains. My schedule looks like this:
1. 531 Deadlift followed by lower body accessory work
2. 531 Bench followed by upper accessory work
3. Dynamic box squat with bands or chains, followed by dynamic deadlift 1x6
4. Dynamic bench followed by upper accessory.
5. 531 Squat followed by lower accessory
6. 531 OHP followed by upper accessory.
7. Dynamic box squat
8. Dynamic bench
Repeat.
Rest days are when I feel like I need it, usually after DL or dynamic box squat. Sometimes I will do the Boring But Big template if I want more volume.  The app has been very helpful in tracking progress and remembering what day I'm on. It also helps calculate the percentage for the dynamic bar weights.  Its essentially westside with 531 templates on the max effor days. Anyone get results from mixing two programs?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure.

I've been doing a program designed for the LSUS weightlifting team for years, off and on.  

It was made by an Olympic coach and used for some pretty descent USA lifters.  But when you break it down, it's really a combination of principles used in the majority of successful programs.  In essence, it's a 4 cycle "push/pull/legs," (more accurately, it's a presses/squats and pulls).  First cycle is focused on hypertrophy, high volume, low intensity, limited movements.  Next is "strength," lower volume, increased intensity with a few more variations of the movements.  Then the "power" phase, even lower volume, higher intensity and more direct focus on the prime movements.  Finally a peaking phase.

Once you've done it enough you realize it's just a template and can be tweaked to your goals, could even make it more "powerlifting" centric if that was your thing.  And if you want more summer season body, just repeat the first two phases over and over and watch your diet.  

Being a semi-old guy, I like it because how it breaks up the movements for recovery.  Most weightlifting programs are just fucking brutal for me.  Literally snatching, C&J and some squat variation every fucking session, after three weeks I always cash out and go back to LSUS, after I've taken too much time off and completely detrained myself.......
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually just heard the LSUS team mentioned in a dave tate podcast yesterday. Supposed to be effective. I'm currently on TRT so my recovery has been pretty good. I think my diet is holding me back though.  Trying to get that dialed in. I've added sled pulling recently and it's greatly improved my pulls. My deadlift is almost where it was when I was competing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually just heard the LSUS team mentioned in a dave tate podcast yesterday. Supposed to be effective. I'm currently on TRT so my recovery has been pretty good. I think my diet is holding me back though.  Trying to get that dialed in. I've added sled pulling recently and it's greatly improved my pulls. My deadlift is almost where it was when I was competing.
View Quote

It's interesting seeing the congugate type methods used in weightlifting, or attempted anyway.

Louie had some guys snatching with bands, chain work etc. at one time.  But there's examples way back to the Russians.  Like Alekseyev doing cleans in the Volga river.

Attachment Attached File

In exact opposition to that, along came Abadjiev, using strict specialization.  Of course this was weightlifting, not powerlifting and they were elite athletes all on uncle Ivan's cough medicine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
What a great pic! Conjugate really makes sense for weightlifter, because the Oly lifts require so much rapid force application.  Mabe even more than PL.  You'd think they'd be all over it, especially bands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top