Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/29/2020 11:14:32 AM EDT
I don’t exactly agree with the title.  Being drafted into a War would certainly suck more.  

However, it makes some interesting points regarding the macro economy.    There’s always gonna be winners and losers, but for the average Millennial and subsequent generations, I do believe it’s been harder to get established, build wealth, escape debt, own a home, etc.   Even for a frugal and well paid member of the GENX Master race, it’s been difficult to escape the gravity well of inflation.  

Decades of weak dollar policy, has made prices on big ticket items like houses and education shoot to the moon.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/27/millennial-recession-covid/
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
FWAPO
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWAPO
View Quote

Yeah, Obviously.  .   I only read it because it popped up on my Stock Market News.
It’s useful to read and understand the enemies propaganda, even you if you don’t agree with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Leave it to the MSM to make token acknowledgements 15 years after the story breaks, lol
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Meanwhile...us GenX'rs

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Inflation, a hostile environment for business and taxes will tend to do that
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I don’t disagree with you. The mid-Boomer blue collar males might beg to differ.

Millennials willing to work have (well, before the panic-demic) tons of opportunities to make money. Whether in the trades or worthwhile college degrees, there is/was opportunity.

Now, I think a lot are like my daughter who busts her ass all year, saves money and vacation, then takes a month off to travel. A lot of her friends are the same way. She is now looking at getting her own house after sharing a house with some college friends.

TC
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't buy it.   Millennials have more opportunities for vertical movement than any previous generation.   Most of them simply squander that opportunity in favor of YouTube videos and gaming.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't buy it.   Millennials have more opportunities for vertical movement than any previous generation.   Most of them simply squander that opportunity in favor of YouTube videos and gaming.
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget putting yourself in debt to the tune of tens or hundreds of thousands dollars to go to college and get a degree in useless bullshit.

Most of the millennials I know who feel that they're not getting a fair shake at life, are also the same people who make stupid decision after stupid decision and can't figure out why their dumbass though process is fucking them in their own ass.

For example, spending 15 dollars a day on coffee, a nightly bar tab, smokes, pot, new apple laptop every year, new iphone every 6 months, etc.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Millennials are a bunch of winey entitlement seeking little bitches. They need to grow up and stop thinking that life is a free lunch.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty much. I can't imagine many will agree you with you here though. Many statistics show US society is in decline, few show it is ascendant. The argument lies between those two facts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Millennials are a bunch of winey entitlement seeking little bitches. They need to grow up and stop thinking that life is a free lunch.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Boomers are a bunch of winey entitlement seeking little bitches. They need to grow up and stop thinking that Social Security stolen from my Millennial paycheck is a free lunch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#14]
This one graph says most of what needs to be said:

I'm entering my mid-30s, and the economy has been crap for most of my adult life. Even when things like unemployment numbers looked good, wages have been stagnant. The cost of most goods and services has been inflating while salaries have not.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't forget putting yourself in debt to the tune of tens or hundreds of thousands dollars to go to college and get a degree in useless bullshit.

Most of the millennials I know who feel that they're not getting a fair shake at life, are also the same people who make stupid decision after stupid decision and can't figure out why their dumbass though process is fucking them in their own ass.

For example, spending 15 dollars a day on coffee, a nightly bar tab, smokes, pot, new apple laptop every year, new iphone every 6 months, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost every job available today requires a degree. Even if it's just in useless bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don’t exactly agree with the title.  Being drafted into a War would certainly suck more.  

However, it makes some interesting points regarding the macro economy.    There’s always gonna be winners and losers, but for the average Millennial and subsequent generations, I do believe it’s been harder to get established, build wealth, escape debt, own a home, etc.   Even for a frugal and well paid member of the GENX Master race, it’s been difficult to escape the gravity well of inflation.  

Decades of weak dollar policy, has made prices on big ticket items like houses and education shoot to the moon.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/27/millennial-recession-covid/
View Quote

Understanding inflation one can use it to their benefit.  Leveraging cheap credit for business loans, building equity in a house etc. benefit from inflation.

A generation who are trying to play by rules that are 50 years out of date will fail economically.  No you cannot just get a job out of college and be magically financially secure, you need to understand the economy, you need to understand that the "capital" in capitalism takes many forms.  You need to see a job as a stepping stone to a real wealth building opportunity, not as the the creator of wealth.  

You also must see that everything you do, you do in competition with everyone else.  Wanna win the game of money, you have beat everyone else. Can't beat everyone else, then change the rules of the game.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck yeah let’s get this party started, we can find more reasons to irrationally hate other people for shit we think is true. Fuck you and pass the tribalism!

grow the fuck up

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#18]
In some ways us Millennials have it significantly worse but also significantly better than previous generations

Home ownership for instance is going to be comparatively down compared to previous generations if you account for population size, houses are just stupid expensive

But there is also now a whole ton of jobs that just simply didn't exist 10 to 15 years ago along with still all the old Legacy job that have existed forever
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't think a lot of the older folks understand how fucked the stagnant wages compared to rises in housing and education have really fucked everything in most areas.

But alas GD likes to paint with broad brushes and just some tough love pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting off the youtubes and Sega Dreamcasts is all the younger generation needs to be successful.

Also keep in mind if you think the younger generation is shit, then who were their parents (generations) that raised them????????
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh fucking waaaaaah.  Millennials (a group I may be considered part of depending on the source) are living in one of the most successful periods in American history.  There has never been a better time to be alive.  Period.  If you are miserable today, you are either extremely unfortunate or, more likely, a victim of your own mindset.  All these people I see bitching about how bad it is to be a millennial are living in nice neighborhoods with modern amenities.  They are well fed and have access to world-class healthcare.  

They aren't unlucky.  They are ungrateful.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Millenials spending too much has been great for me!

Though I did the same thing when I was younger.  The difference is the stupid decisions and stuff that I did had very little impact on my future.  I worked full time during the Summer and part time during college.  I paid for everything myself in regards to my diploma.  Something that simply isn't possible anymore.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/5IJKDSG4UFHADLHXKXTJUJG3KI.png&w=916

I'm entering my mid-30s, and the economy has been crap for most of my adult life. Even when things like unemployment numbers looked good, wages have been stagnant. The cost of most goods and services has been inflating while salaries have not.

View Quote

But cheap iphones and tvs!!1

How many US generations had to deal with a massively inflated residential housing market funded almost entirely by foreign speculative investment? Housing crash when most millenials would be buying in and then during recovery the majority of properties were scooped up by banks, the chinese, saudis, etc. That in itself is enough to crush a generation, even disregarding the manifold other factors.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Most of the people I know have good jobs out of college and are doing well.

There are pros and cons to our generation, but overall it's not bad. I think the worst part is that in the US the open hatred of white males is getting pretty blatant, and that sucks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

A lot of what they experience is self inflicted death by 1000 cuts.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Unlucky? If Millennials wanted to successful, they should have joined the military since (literally) their entire adult lives the country has been at war.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/5IJKDSG4UFHADLHXKXTJUJG3KI.png&w=916

View Quote

The boomer generation made that possible all in the name of free shit, the ultimate FSA.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Oh fucking waaaaaah.  Millennials (a group I may be considered part of depending on the source) are living in one of the most successful periods in American history.  There has never been a better time to be alive.  Period.  If you are miserable today, you are either extremely unfortunate or, more likely, a victim of your own mindset.  All these people I see bitching about how bad it is to be a millennial are living in nice neighborhoods with modern amenities.  They are well fed and have access to world-class healthcare.  

View Quote

Actually if you a woman or are black in the US, then I agree. I disagree if you are a white or Asian male.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#29]
In 2018 (according to NPR exit polling) millennials voted overwhelmingly (66%) for democrats so in their case "deserves" has everything to do with it. I'll have a Coke.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stagnant wages and inflation are not doing us any favors.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

This...

Just before the virus crap, the US was one of the hottest economies ever.  Since we are the richest nation on earth, that means millennials are hitting their professional stride in the the single most wealthiest time and place in all of human history.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In 2018 (according to NPR exit polling) millennials voted overwhelmingly (66%) for democrats so in their case "deserves" has everything to do with it. I'll have a Coke.
View Quote

LOL, now we believe what NPR says because millennials are bad
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How many US generations had to deal with a massively inflated residential housing market funded almost entirely by foreign speculative investment? Housing crash when most millenials would be buying in and then during recovery the majority of properties were scooped up by banks, the chinese, saudis, etc. That in itself is enough to crush a generation, even disregarding the manifold other factors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the creeping tentacles of government driving prices of things up via regulations. Building houses, especially in blue states like CA is expensive in a large part thanks to government. Cars are priced beyond inflation due to ever increasing heaps of mandates for safety and emissions.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Millennials also have avenues for extreme wealth generation that didn't exist just 15 years ago, and many don't even require them to leave their bedroom.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Unlucky? If Millennials wanted to successful, they should have joined the military since (literally) their entire adult lives the country has been at war.
View Quote

Yeah, great idea, that's one way to become wealthy

I have no issue with anyone who serves or served, I thank them but alot of people i know who are my age (millenial) did there time and then some and  have very little to show and have no real carreer based skills. They are working at dead end jobs and have mental/physical issues.

While they were overseas I was in the work force building a carreer and I am very stable. I have a house (mortgaged) on 8 acres and tons of paid for toys, I have never had a car payment either.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would argue that, without a doubt the most harmful thing for millenials and Gen Z is the absolute destruction of the family. It leads to almost every other problem in some way.

Debt is the money of slaves and many people today live beyond their means with it.

At the same time, huge increases in government agencies scope and regulation have made many opportunities much more difficult or impossible for people new to the environment.

Certainly today there is a lot of wealth and opportunity, but not in the same way.

Today one cannot go out and just start a business in the same way in many fields. There are literally miles of red tape, often costing thousands of dollars and maybe years of time.

One of the only ways to effectively seize power in a constitutional republic is through these agencies. They are unelected and have more power and produce more laws than congress.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Indeed

Most days I'm just simply thankful to even have a job
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Millennials also have avenues for extreme wealth generation that didn't exist just 15 years ago, and many don't even require them to leave their bedroom.

View Quote

In my opinion arguing that jobs today are different than jobs a few years ago is a non-argument. It has always been this way and always will be.

This is how the world goes. Jobs change.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#39]
The Covid-19 shutdown is going to be the stick that breaks a lot of millenials going forward.

Pre shutdown we had the lowest unemployment since the 60's and real wage growth that we had not seen prior to 2008.

For someone who is born in 1990 or prior, it can be daunting when you can't find a job for years, finally get a decent steady paycheck and then lose it.  

Couple that with student debt for a degree that you were told you had to have to be successful and its not hard to see why a lot of millenials are discouraged right now.

Took the first real shot a lot them had at normalcy and shut it down.

That being said, EVERY generation has its challenges that it needs to solve.  Its up to those kids to figure out how to navigate this new world.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look it up yourself.....It's one of the few things that both right and left leaning sites tend to agree on. Millennial women seem to be the main culprits. The men in that age group are pretty evenly split between red/blue but a lot of men are MIA and don't vote at all. Sucks but there it is.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I would argue that, without a doubt the most harmful thing for millenials and Gen Z is the absolute destruction of the family. It leads to almost every other problem in some way.

Debt is the money of slaves and many people today live beyond their means with it.

At the same time, huge increases in government agencies scope and regulation have made many opportunities much more difficult or impossible for people new to the environment.

Certainly today there is a lot of wealth and opportunity, but not in the same way.

Today one cannot go out and just start a business in the same way in many fields. There are literally miles of red tape, often costing thousands of dollars and maybe years of time.

One of the only ways to effectively seize power in a constitutional republic is through these agencies. They are unelected and have more power and produce more laws than congress.
View Quote

That's bullshit.  My millennial wife with a English degree has started several businesses from our kitchen table.  Her friends run a virtual clothing boutique and they make a very good living.  My wife is currently selling stickers... yes fucking stickers... to adults...  and she makes money everyday while taking care of our kids at home.  Social media has become a free platform to launch a business from, viral advertising is free.  It has never been easier to start a business.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Actually if you a woman or are black in the US, then I agree. I disagree if you are a white or Asian male.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a load of crap.  Aside from my chances of getting laid in college, having a penis has never been an obstacle.  Aside from limiting safe passage in parts of town I wouldn't want to visit anyways, my skin color has never been a problem.  I'll refer you to my prior assertion that miserable people are a victim of their own mindset.  If you think your sex or race is going to be a problem then you have all the excuses you need to fail and/or be miserable.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who told us we had to go get a useless degree from a 4 year institution? Our boomer parents.

Who told us it's okay to indulge in coffee, nights out, drugs, and new iphones so we can live our best lives? You guessed it.

With that being said, I have my own house and no other debt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Most of them simply squander that opportunity in favor of YouTube videos and gaming.
View Quote

Yeah, that's god's honest truth and totally not a low-IQ stereotype
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Almost every job available today requires a degree. Even if it's just in useless bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe to work in a cube farm.  Problem is that generation was told constantly from when they first stepped into kindergarten that they need to go to college if even to just get a liberal arts degree to make them a more rounded individual.  The problem with that mindset is that there are literally millions of skilled non degree jobs out there ie plumbers, pipe fitters, mechanics, welders and so on.  And those positions can pay quite well to very well as long as the person is willing to put in the work, also most of these jobs people will not go into crushing debt to get them.  I could start a job out of high school no debt and get to mid 50 to 60 k a year buy the time my fellow person in the same age range graduates with 100 k in debt and a 30 k a year job.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't think a lot of the older folks understand how fucked the stagnant wages compared to rises in housing and education have really fucked everything in most areas.

But alas GD likes to paint with broad brushes and just some tough love pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting off the youtubes and Sega Dreamcasts is all the younger generation needs to be successful.

Also keep in mind if you think the younger generation is shit, then who were their parents (generations) that raised them????????
View Quote

Hell my two year degree was over 35 Grand
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#47]
How many millennials have starved to death?  How many millennials have died in a war/ been conscripted?  

The US has a ridiculously high standard of living now, and we all are used to it.  50’s middle class life would be considered unacceptable today due to small homes, shared apartments, few expensive appliances.  Do millennials have it harder than boomers? Sure.  Worst ever?  Not even close.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of them simply squander that opportunity in favor of YouTube videos and gaming.

Ironically there's some of the outliers who are making a fuckton of money on Youtube or in gaming too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Weak dollar policy doesn't have much to do with the cost of education.  The main culprit is the endless fountain of Federal funny-money that can't be discharged via bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Who told us we had to go get a useless degree from a 4 year institution? Our boomer parents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were raised from children with every single adult in our lives telling us the only way to succeed was with a college degree in literally anything.

Any College Degree = Success
No College Degree = Living under a bridge sucking dick for coke
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top