Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2022 9:01:59 PM EDT
Do you and/or wife prefer location of the microwave above the range/stove or under the countertop (top of microwave would be about 35" ?

Yes, I know the CFM of over the range combos are next to useless.... I'll be moving in a few years for work, and this is a small house - I wouldn't get back many luxury kitchen upgrades.
There's not enough counter space to mount microwave above counter height elsewhere in kitchen.

Would be located on peninsula (but smaller kitchen than image)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I really dislike the under-counter location, way too low for me. I have an above-range one and it's fine. I prefer it on the countertop but my current house doesn't have room for it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Neither... put it INSIDE a cupboard.

Were you raised in a barn.... Sheesh

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Just stick it right on the counter like us real poors. Extra points for stacking your loaves of bread on top of it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I am one of the poors, by choice, and my microwave is on my oak-veneered plywood counter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I dont want to lean over a hot ass stove to pull something nuclear hot out the microwave mounted above said stove.

Lose some cabinet space if you dont want it in the peninsula or on the counter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just stick it right on the counter like us real poors. Extra points for stacking your loaves of bread on top of it.
View Quote

How it's done, and sugar & spices. Proves I'm a poor because I have a tiny kitchen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am one of the poors, by choice, and my microwave is on my oak-veneered plywood counter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't see any place in that kitchen except on the right of the sink on the counter top. P.S. Why no double sink?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#9]
On the folding table next to the hot plate. Make sure you shut the door so roaches don't get inside. Never clean it, just buy a new one every year on Black Friday. Throw the old one out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
We don't have a microwave.  After a kitchen remodel we didn't want the expensive drawer style, nor a large overhead unit, so we decided to stick a small one in a cabinet.

We've never bought one and we don't miss it.  However, we don't have children.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah I dont want to lean over a hot ass stove to pull something nuclear hot out the microwave mounted above said stove.

Lose some cabinet space if you dont want it in the peninsula or on the counter.
View Quote

Lol, if you are that short I’m sure you have a stool handy
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really dislike the under-counter location, way too low for me. I have an above-range one and it's fine. I prefer it on the countertop but my current house doesn't have room for it.
View Quote

A top loading microwave wouldn't be the worst, but I like over the stove.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Best place for a microwave is in the garbage.  They are the root of all evil in the culinary world.  

Thorazine microwaved turkey bacon for fucks sake!

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oak veneered?

Lucky!!

Mines painted. That shit don’t work well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you and/or wife prefer location of the microwave above the range/stove or under the countertop (top of microwave would be about 35" ?

Yes, I know the CFM of over the range combos are next to useless.... I'll be moving in a few years for work, and this is a small house - I wouldn't get back many luxury kitchen upgrades.
There's not enough counter space to mount microwave above counter height elsewhere in kitchen.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273720/island-peninsula-with-under-counter-micr-2296831.JPG

View Quote

Poll fail. Microwave cabinet FTW.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oak veneered?

Lucky!!

Mines painted. That shit don’t work well.
View Quote

When I bought the house, the previous owner had painted the shit counters with one of those even shittier Jackson Pollok/ ghetto Martha Stewart kits... FFS why bother.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine is in the island like your picture.  No problems and we use it all the time because kids.  A micro should never be in plain view if you can help it.  Do not put it behind a cabinet door, that's annoying if you use it a lot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Put it in the cupboard, or just get rid of it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Sharp microwave drawer below counter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Double oven with the top oven as a microwave/convection oven/broiler combo.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Neither... put it INSIDE a cupboard.

Were you raised in a barn.... Sheesh

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Double oven with the top oven as a microwave/convection oven/broiler combo.
View Quote

If I were staying in the house, I'd put in a double oven.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a oven/microwave combo installed into the cabinets. Looks like a double oven but it isn't. I bought it for ~3500 bucks but much prefer the height of both (has cabinets above it and drawers below it) since I don't have to bend over to put something in either.  Range, is a range top.

Hate the look of a microwave above the range. usually doesn't have a lot of clearance especially for people that cook with large stock pots.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273720/island-peninsula-with-under-counter-micr-2296831.JPG

View Quote
Under counter is a pain to use, takes away from cabinet space, and doesn't cool itself as well as an over counter.

Range hood needs to be cleaned more often.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Poors microwaves sit on the counter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Not a bad setup. Works for me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Why would y'all do that when the one at 7-11 works just fine?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#28]
My house didn't have one built in and the kitchen is small, so I didn't want to put it on the counter.  Ended up removing the garbage range hood and installed a low profile microwave in its place.  I think they are meant for kitchens that dont have the cabinet over the stove mounted high enough for a normal sized microwave.  I like it.  It's never been too small so far, and its not the huge ass box that they usually look like mounted above the stove.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Put it on a TV tray.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine is above the stove.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Functional, but I would lose sleep over the lack of symmetry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dang
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn, you really are poor.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Could just extend the cabinet fronts down and cover up the whole thing.  Then open the cabinet when you needed to use it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually stack mail on mine
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Not poors. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#38]
As a cabinet maker over the range has been on the out for me for a couple years most of the ones i do now are next to the fridge in a custom upper with a trim kit
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#39]

That makes my head hurt
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#40]
We'll never have a built in microwave again. Useless for the most part. A small on on the counter is fine. A big exhaust fan, tons of CFM and lighting gets used may more than a microwave.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Loaves of bread go in the microwave you heathen.

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Isn't above the range a 1980s innovation that didn't work for most people. Especially after most of us expanded our kitchens beyond the size of a bathroom.

ETA - I see you are in a kitchen that you aren't going to stay in.  Then who gives a shit. Put it on the damn counter until
you move. Okay
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice looking home, OP.

You'll regret the under-counter unless you are two feet tall.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#44]
My built in over the stove just died. I have one now on top of a small deal that's just about microwave sized. Stack my paper plates on it, till the new one comes in. The replacement one is one I had in the shop for heating up drinks and shit every so often, along with a dorm refrigerator. It has to be 25 years old and still going strong. The dorm refrigerator out there I bought new in 1989 and still going. Shit not made like it used to be.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

What in the 1984 Home and Garden issue is that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#46]
The hood/above the stove placement is lame and always has been lame unless you have a small kitchen (like you live in an apartment or one of those garden homes.) It is a great space saving idea when you have to save space, but it has carried over into homes that don’t need it, it’s a cop out for a builder who doesn’t want to spend the money to build it in. “Look the microwave is above the range, how modern, how trendy,” fuck that.

I also think it is a hassle, more so for someone vertically challenged, which I am not.  I will never own a home with the microwave above the range.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#47]
We have a drawer unit below the counter.  Not the most convenient location to be honest, but it does allow an actual vented range hood that is awesome.

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just like mine! The only time the little mini-micro gets used is for heating leftovers or a quick hot dog. Everything else gets cooked on the range, in the oven, on charcoal, or the toaster oven/air fryer gadget on the other side of the kitchen. If it wouldn't have been a housewarming gift 9 years ago I wouldn't even have one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, my OCD just went into panic mode!
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Our cook knows where the microwave is.

But if we were poors who had to use the kitchen ourselves, I like that low profile setup.

Commonly used or accessed items should be at eye level.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top