Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2021 1:52:33 PM EDT
I was in Best Buy and they were blowing out the Panasonic GX85 for $419 so I FO'd.  Now I am thinking I want to try to use some of my Nikon F mount lenses with the MFT body.

Anyone use an adapter for this?  And, how do DX lenses pair with MFT?

This is all new to me.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the crop factor of your camera. I use d series g series f mount lenses with my Panasonic GH5 with no issues.  Full frame lenses have no issues.  If you have sigma 18-35 you will want a speed booster.

Simple adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6NGF3H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_G1293MPM6TMPE6YWZBJS

Metabones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011LNQ7NS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BNY8N9TJHZ7PCG4DWD20

Happy to share more. Feel free to pm me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends on the crop factor of your camera. I use d series g series f mount lenses with my Panasonic GH5 with no issues.  Full frame lenses have no issues.  If you have sigma 18-35 you will want a speed booster.

Simple adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6NGF3H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_G1293MPM6TMPE6YWZBJS

Metabones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011LNQ7NS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BNY8N9TJHZ7PCG4DWD20

Happy to share more. Feel free to pm me.
View Quote

Wow.  massive price difference.  I never really thought about how important that tripod mount would be but now I see it.  Thank you
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wow.  massive price difference.  I never really thought about how important that tripod mount would be but now I see it.  Thank you
View Quote

It's not just the tripod mount. MFT has a crop factor of 2, so you're going to double the focal length of pretty much any lens you put on there. The Olympus line of MFT lenses have a focal length of 1/2 of 35mm full frame. So you pretty much get the same field of view as you would full frame 35mm; the 17.5mm=35mm, the 25mm=50mm etc.... Panasonic's MFT lenses are a little different focal length but you're still looking at a crop factor of 2.0.

The Metabones adapter reduces the crop factor down to .71 and adds 1 stop of light. So that 100mm F2.8 lens now becomes a 71mm F2.0 lens. That's why there's such a price difference between the two.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's not just the tripod mount. MFT has a crop factor of 2, so you're going to double the focal length of pretty much any lens you put on there. The Olympus line of MFT lenses have a focal length of 1/2 of 35mm full frame. So you pretty much get the same field of view as you would full frame 35mm; the 17.5mm=35mm, the 25mm=50mm etc.... Panasonic's MFT lenses are a little different focal length but you're still looking at a crop factor of 2.0.

The Metabones adapter reduces the crop factor down to .71 and adds 1 stop of light. So that 100mm F2.8 lens now becomes a 71mm F2.0 lens. That's why there's such a price difference between the two.
View Quote

Just how does that work?  INCREASING the effective aperture?!?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just how does that work?  INCREASING the effective aperture?!?
View Quote

To be honest I really don't know. I looked into getting a Canon EF to M4/3rds speed booster/adapter from them a couple of years ago for my BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera and it's list an increase in aperture of 1 2/3rds. Ultimately, I decided not to because the cost was pretty high. I think it has to do with reducing the crop factor and making better use of available light across the sensor but to be honest I'm just spitballing with that hypothesis.

I don't see it actually giving you additional stops on the lens because that would be limited by the hardware. Rather I think it has more to do with changing the amount of light and apparent DoF. Again, I'm just spitballing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top