Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2020 7:59:12 PM EDT
Born on election day last month, from the same parents of @Mudfoot pup Justice, I introduce to you Ms Melania Zahara de la Sierra, aka Zara for short, named after a town in southern Spain (Zahara de la Sierra in Andalusia), in the area my father’s roots are, you can figure out the Melania part of her name. She picked us on Christmas day and gets her ears done on Tuesday, then comes home on Wednesday.
Mudfoot had posted a pic of his gorgeous girl Liberty a while back, and as our Dobie was getting older, I asked who the breeder was. He was more than gracious and passed on the requested information. When our girl passed this past March, we contacted the breeder and had a very top notch experience with her throughout the whole process.  A huge thank you to Mudfoot!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Dobes are the best.  I also like GSD that was last big dog. Now I have 2 Morkies that think they are pitbulls. She looks great my buddy has a red one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! She is adorable. Will be thinking positive thoughts this week for her procedure. Holler if you need any tips with the ear posting procedures.

Glad you had a great experience with Debi.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Cannot thank you enough!

She has a 3 1/2 hour drive on Wednesday to come home.

Who knows, maybe one of these days our pups shall meet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dobes are the best.  I also like GSD that was last big dog. Now I have 2 Morkies that think they are pitbulls. She looks great my buddy has a red one.
View Quote

Thank you!  8 pups in the litter, 2 red males, 2 black males, 1 red female, 3 black females. After the breeder picked her black female (she was going back and forth between the same two we were going back and forth on based on pics and blogs from her) we had pick of the next 2. This one basically picked us from the get go, the way she acted sealed the deal for us. Turns out the third couple getting a black female had mentioned to our breeder they were interested in getting the third one, so it worked out for everyone.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
What a cutie.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Puppies are the best. Love em.

Good luck OP.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Cute pup.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Many thanks all. Picking her up tomorrow and bringing her home
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea!!!!
Glad to hear! Let me know if you need any ear taping assistance or tips. I’ve got it down solid.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#10]
@Mudfoot Justice looks awesome!!

Little Zaraha is turning out to be a very awesome pup. Stitches come out Monday then the posting. Thank you for the advice offer, probably take you up on it. Got the items Debi recommended, we have a good idea how to do it, but still, getting input from someone that has done it more than a few times is invaluable.

Yesterday out on the back porch, lawn guys were mowing and blowing, she was completely unfazed, very calmly sitting in my lap, me just scratching her sides..........

Attachment Attached File

3 days in, she is starting to pick up on doing her business outside, only a few inside incidents so far.  Pees every time we take her out, pooping is also coming around.  This pup is extremely intelligent, but she is a doberman after all!

Hanging out on dad’s lap

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Adorable! Nice to see the surgeon posted with zips rather than the cone. The edges heal much faster, and it helps lower the chances of ear canal funk.

Get her used to the sound of a dremel. She won’t even flinch when doing those nails.

I’ll PM you my number. We can talk about posting if you want.

Congrats @avmech !
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep on the dremel, going to run it close to her first so she gets used to the sound then gently so she gets to know the vibration.

Regarding the ears, Debi did that after cleaning them. The vet used popsicle sticks, but the same way. Also at Debi’s request no tape bridge. Ears were done Tuesday and she is holding them well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
With stiff enough zipties, no bridge is needed.
Add calcium tabs daily, chewables. Makes a huge difference. Do it all the way through completion of teething. This is what I’ve used for both Dobies.
https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/sure-grow-100?SKU=23265-174&a=PLA
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#14]
@Mudfoot thank you for the link, will def look into it.  Our little girl’s ears are doing well, no bridge from the get go.  Previous pup Daisy never had a bridge either, her ears were perfect too.

Edit:  ran the Dremel near her yesterday, no problem, today did it a for a very short time, she was fine with it, went ahead and was going to try it on one nail to see er reaction,,,,,,,did both front paws EZPZ.  Last dobie would run the other way when she saw a Dremel in our hands.........
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Love the pup!  Keep posting pics as she gets older
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

No posting for a couple of hours, then back to antenna ears. 10 weeks old this past Tuesday.  Growing like crazy, both physically and mentally.  She is going nuts with alligator mouth......
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Gorgeous!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gorgeous!!!
View Quote

Thanks to you!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#19]
@avmech - Need some new pics.
Btw, you have some of the best chew and fetch toys on the way to you tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Zonked out on the couch.........

@Mudfoot, you are awesome, many thanks!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Beautiful pup! Our dobie is getting up in years and the wife has already said it's just not going to be the same without a Doberman around. Once you've been indoctrinated by a dobe, there's no going back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
She is simply ravishing...

Good lookin Pups OP.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Thread of the year…by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Here’s my 17lbs of derp.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Beautiful pup! Our dobie is getting up in years and the wife has already said it's just not going to be the same without a Doberman around. Once you've been indoctrinated by a dobe, there's no going back.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Checking out the tree rats in the yard
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#27]
@avmech Awesome! She’s a cutie!
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks Mudfoot.  Yesterday took her to a vet that does cropping just to get his opinion on her ears and my post technique, he liked what he saw, gave me a few ways to make it easier and better (no more bridge, cotton ball to help make sure they do not tip in, her left ear was starting to tip in...).  He was actually surprised at how clean her ears were being her posts were in for a week.  Was a good day.  Today she goes in to our regular vet for the last of her shots.  She is learning to back off on the alligator mouth and is starting to listen/pay attention when we tell her something, potty training is almost complete, only one accident since Thursday last week (while we trained her to go outside, she has trained us to know when she has to go out), fully comfortable with her crate.  She loves to get in my lap.........can only imagine that when she is full size LOL.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Between postings yesterday.  Little one is around four times the size of when we brought her home.  Already losing (or loosing??......LOL) some of her baby teeth, hopefully alligator mouth will go away sooner than later!  She hardly bites me (guess I taste like crap), but my wife is the pin cushion (or should that be tooth cushion??). We are working on her also accepting my wife as an alpha.  Potty training keeps progressing, she is more active, laying with her with balls, frisbee, tether tug, etc.  to wear her out. She walks on a leash with me pretty well for her age,again, wife is another story....... Tomorrow is her first day away, spending it with other pups at our trainer’s place.  She needs more interaction with other dogs, especially bigger ones that will slap her silly and put her in her place. More after we see how tomorrow works out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm getting my new dobie in a week.
Been looking forward to it for a while.
She'll be 8 weeks on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Beautiful dog man.  I'm liking watching her grow up, and reading about your experiences with her.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Took her for her first ride with no crate (will be rigging up a lanyard for her just in case anything happens she does not launch through a window..) out on our back roads this AM. This pup loves to ride, looking out the window or laying down. She refused to get out when we got home LOL!

Attachment Attached File

42 pounds 9 ounces yesterday, she is growing and growing

@Mudfoot
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Between postings yesterday
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm getting my new dobie in a week.
Been looking forward to it for a while.
She'll be 8 weeks on Tuesday.
View Quote

Be sure to post pics!
@thumper_abn
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Awesome job so far @avmech.

Be sure you start trimming those nails soon, and often. Don’t want them to get long. It affects their walking.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep, they were done Saturday.  Agree the outside ones could be shorter. They will be done again Wednesday or Thursday
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

Happy Easter
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Beautiful dog! Before Covid-19, as one that would travel a lot with my Royal Standard Poogle, going to different schools (Pet Partner Dog Therapy), I bought two items that you might consider.  I read weekly in the Nextdoor app where a dog is injured in a car accident or when someone is frantically looking for their lost dog.

These two items can help you and your dog:

1) the Kurgo Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Dog Car Harness https://www.kurgo.com/dog-harnesses/enhanced-strength-dog-car-harness/.  It not only protects your dog from injury, but it also protects you from a dog flying like a projectile into the back of your head that could cause neck damage or death; and

2) The Whistle GO Explore https://www.whistle.com/products/whistle-go-explore-gps-pet-tracker-activity-monitor?variant=28982569697328 which is a GPS tracker that is very effective.  It also monitors health and fitness.  The cost is very reasonable when compared to the cost of a vet bill if your dog gets hit by a car.

I take my dog everywhere with me.  To the store, to work, just everywhere except hospitals, schools, and nursing homes.  At this point, with the potential of Covid-19 variants, I'm not going back to Pet Partners.  The risk is just not worth it to me.  Besides, nursing homes are so dangerous for dogs as patients at times drop their medication and the staff may not notice it.  So, there is an additional level threat for the dogs.

Back on track.  The above two items are a must for me and I hope you consider them.

Btw, thanks for the pictures!

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks CodeSection.  Already have a beefy harness (pretty sure it is the Kurgo Enhanced one you mention) for when she rides in the backseat of our vehicles.  Also on the back seat of each vehicle we have a "hammock" that basically prevents the pup from falling to the floor between the seats.

Regarding the second item, I will have a look, thanks!  She is chipped already, but every little bit helps.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks CodeSection.  Already have a beefy harness (pretty sure it is the Kurgo Enhanced one you mention) for when she rides in the backseat of our vehicles.  Also on the back seat of each vehicle we have a "hammock" that basically prevents the pup from falling to the floor between the seats.

Regarding the second item, I will have a look, thanks!  She is chipped already, but every little bit helps.
View Quote

I recommend that all dogs be chipped, but unfortunately, that doesn't help to locate them if they get out or wander away.  The key is to prevent a visit to the vet or pound due to an injury.  The Whistle GO Explore or similar GPS unit actually will locate them.....quickly!  Whistle's two-year monitor plan comes out at only $7.99 per when you pay for two years.  It comes to $8.25 per month when you pay upfront for one year.

I'm looking forward to viewing more pics!

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#41]
This coming Tuesday will be 24 weeks old, 15 since the ears getting cropped.  Her adult teeth are just about all in, will post for another 3/4 weeks or so.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top