Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2018 8:47:19 AM EDT
Any recommendations for an inexpensive reliable mechanical pistol lock box?   I see a bunch for $200-$300 but that seems excessive.

I would like to get 4 or 5 possibly.

I have a gun vault brand one with the electronic key pad.   It is good but not 100 percent reliable (sometimes i have to enter the code twice).

I also have a full size liberty 50 safe and a small key safe.  But I would like some small ones for the car and garage etc.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Amazon, just pick one they're all just a tin box with a lock
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Shotlock 200M

VLine Slide Away

Get something with simplex locks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for an inexpensive reliable mechanical pistol lock box?   I see a bunch for $200-$300 but that seems excessive.

I would like to get 4 or 5 possibly.

I have a gun vault brand one with the electronic key pad.   It is good but not 100 percent reliable (sometimes i have to enter the code twice).

I also have a full size liberty 50 safe and a small key safe.  But I would like some small ones for the car and garage etc.
View Quote
I assume you want quick access (no key). The reason they are in that price range are that the proven design "Simplex" lock alone costs the manufacturers more than the Chinese build the whole electronic safe for. Keep in mind what the box is constructed of as well. The mechanical safes are built from 14GA being on the weaker side all the way up to 7GA which is the thickest at 3/16" plate. You can't just stamp 7GA steel into shape, it takes some welding and fabrication which also adds to the overall cost. Of course this also gives you a much stronger box if theft is a concern if you always have a gun stored in them when you are away.

Also, keep in mind the old "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy. The "Simplex" lock has a 60+ year proven track record of speed, reliability, and durability that can certainly last a lifetime. All the electronic safes are throw-aways. Even if you buy the latest, greatest gizmos that do everything from charging your phone to having GPS tracking and cost $300 +. They have no replacement parts available for when one of those fancy features fails.

With the "Simplex" lock I'm sure it is possible that you could wear one out over many years or have a very rare mechanical failure, but if that happens you just buy a replacement lock. I do understand that it gets expensive when buying several, but over the years it will probably cost you less than buying something unreliable every few years when it starts acting up. Not to mention Mr. Murphy tends to show up at the worse times and that could be serious when it comes to your defensive weapons.

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would like some small ones for the car and garage etc.
View Quote
Car and garage both sound like you're after theft prevention when you're not around? If so, don't go cheap.  Most of the electronic locks are easily bypassed via the "backup" key or the simple solenoid which actually "locks" them.

If you just want something to keep small fingers off when you look away for a moment, then the el-cheapo's are probably fine.  If small fingers will have access to the boxes without adult oversight then you'd better look at some youtube videos...cuz those boxes are opening!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry every day.   And most times when I am home or at least have it nearby.    All the rest of the firearms stay in the safe.    We don't have kids but I would like to have a lock box on every floor of the house in case of home invasion or an emergency.    But if we are out during the day or have guests I don't want to worry about loaded firearms laying around on every floor.

I have a lock box in my work truck for if I need to remove it for entry into a secure facility or government building etc..    I would also like another for the car.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assume you want quick access (no key). The reason they are in that price range are that the proven design "Simplex" lock alone costs the manufacturers more than the Chinese build the whole electronic safe for. Keep in mind what the box is constructed of as well. The mechanical safes are built from 14GA being on the weaker side all the way up to 7GA which is the thickest at 3/16" plate. You can't just stamp 7GA steel into shape, it takes some welding and fabrication which also adds to the overall cost. Of course this also gives you a much stronger box if theft is a concern if you always have a gun stored in them when you are away.

Also, keep in mind the old "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy. The "Simplex" lock has a 60+ year proven track record of speed, reliability, and durability that can certainly last a lifetime. All the electronic safes are throw-aways. Even if you buy the latest, greatest gizmos that do everything from charging your phone to having GPS tracking and cost $300 +. They have no replacement parts available for when one of those fancy features fails.

With the "Simplex" lock I'm sure it is possible that you could wear one out over many years or have a very rare mechanical failure, but if that happens you just buy a replacement lock. I do understand that it gets expensive when buying several, but over the years it will probably cost you less than buying something unreliable every few years when it starts acting up. Not to mention Mr. Murphy tends to show up at the worse times and that could be serious when it comes to your defensive weapons.

http://i-h1.pinimg.com/564x/d8/57/eb/d857ebb6bb2a55b3d66e76e84c355827.jpg
View Quote
Love my FAS1, as does my Sister and BIL, especially the piston assist open, size and holster choices.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Love my FAS1, as does my Sister and BIL, especially the piston assist open, size and holster choices.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I carry every day.   And most times when I am home or at least have it nearby.    All the rest of the firearms stay in the safe.    We don't have kids but I would like to have a lock box on every floor of the house in case of home invasion or an emergency.    But if we are out during the day or have guests I don't want to worry about loaded firearms laying around on every floor.

I have a lock box in my work truck for if I need to remove it for entry into a secure facility or government building etc..    I would also like another for the car.
View Quote
Buy once, cry once... Personally I recommend one lock box for by the bed night/carry gun, all the rest in a safe (or at least an RSC) and 100% home carry.  Leaving firearms around in rooms rather than on one's person just doesn't make sense to me.  If I were to do that, I'd want good solid boxes because I doubt anyone is going to unload the boxes at night or every time they leave the house, so those boxes better be stout.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just wish @FAS1 made one that opened along the long edge like the old HanDGun "Console Caddy" does/did.

ETA:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070126212727/http://www.handgunsafe.com/4106s.htm
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Those safes gave me a lot of inspiration when I designed mine 10 years ago. They were a little crude on the finish, but 1/4" Steel! ??????

Why side opening? If you want something for a console have you looked at the FAS1-Compact? It's only slightly larger and since the door opens 90 degrees it works very nicely in something like a F150 Console when the hinge end is mounted forward. I have been considering a slightly smaller version for subcompact guns that most people are carrying and it would fit in an even smaller space.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
$200-300 seems excessive until you lose your gun by theft.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those safes gave me a lot of inspiration when I designed mine 10 years ago. They were a little crude on the finish, but 1/4" Steel! ??????

Why side opening? If you want something for a console have you looked at the FAS1-Compact? It's only slightly larger and since the door opens 90 degrees it works very nicely in something like a F150 Console when the hinge end is mounted forward. I have been considering a slightly smaller version for subcompact guns that most people are carrying and it would fit in an even smaller space.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mine lays flat in a headboard - flip down the headboard door, punch in code, door pops upwards, reach hand in, grab gun...

Yours all seem like they're made to stand on end, I use it laying "flat"... not sure I'm describing it well.

Yeah, the "Dear UPS man, I will break your foot if you drop me on it!" sticker from the HanDGun box adorned my toolbox for years

I still like the recessed door and the solid construction better than anything else I've found since. Wish I'd bought more of them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
$200-300 seems excessive until you lose are looking at the muzzle of your gun by theft when you come home one day.
View Quote
FIFY... or when you hear your stolen gun was used in a heinous crime...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, gotcha.

One thing with the gas spring I use to open the door and hold it open to present the holstered gun, it will function in any orientation, even standing on end. Lots of people mount them horizontally and I try to put the photos up on my website showing some of the different ways people mount them.

Here's a an example:

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Fort Knox makes some really solid ones.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks, gotcha.

One thing with the gas spring I use to open the door and hold it open to present the holstered gun, it will function in any orientation, even standing on end. Lots of people mount them horizontally and I try to put the photos up on my website showing some of the different ways people mount them.

Here's a an example:

https://i-h1.pinimg.com/564x/13/03/18/1303188c99b0d648a41d611096733fc6.jpg
View Quote
Yep, that's what I'm talking about, but try that with a long-edge opening door vs the huge forward sweep of that thing...  Mine only needs the 4.5" sweep of the door going upwards vs that ~10-12" sweep forwards.  Other crap lives in that space beyond just the box, so while I *could* use the short-edge-opening style I'd *REALLY* prefer the long-edge.

All that might change if I tried to go to a pistol + can bedside, since my HanDGun won't fit the combo, but ZOMG thinking of the door sweep then
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Buy once, cry once... Personally I recommend one lock box for by the bed night/carry gun, all the rest in a safe (or at least an RSC) and 100% home carry.  Leaving firearms around in rooms rather than on one's person just doesn't make sense to me.  If I were to do that, I'd want good solid boxes because I doubt anyone is going to unload the boxes at night or every time they leave the house, so those boxes better be stout.
View Quote
The house is alarmed and has cameras.   And the majority of everything would be in the big safe.   So I'm not worried about them when i leave the house.    But when I am moving about the house I would like to have a firearm on each floor.   And leave them there regardless of whether we have guests or not.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Not all safes are built the same.

Most are complete junk.

https://www.handgunsaferesearch.com/
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The house is alarmed and has cameras.   And the majority of everything would be in the big safe.   So I'm not worried about them when i leave the house.    But when I am moving about the house I would like to have a firearm on each floor.   And leave them there regardless of whether we have guests or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alarms and cameras help catch thieves after they're gone, they don't prevent your guns falling into the hands of thieves.  So my point is mainly that you should consider how much effort you're going to put into putting guns into and taking them out of these boxes.  I maintain that human nature is going to lead to the boxes having guns in them when you're not home, and therefore those boxes should be very secure.  If you're going to be religious about taking guns out of the boxes and putting them into the safe, then I won't argue (much) with your plan of el cheapo boxes since they'll only be holding guns when you're in the house.

In any case, I fear I'm derailing your thread and I think we just disagree, so I'll leave it at this.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Alarms and cameras help catch thieves after they're gone, they don't prevent your guns falling into the hands of thieves.  So my point is mainly that you should consider how much effort you're going to put into putting guns into and taking them out of these boxes.  I maintain that human nature is going to lead to the boxes having guns in them when you're not home, and therefore those boxes should be very secure.  If you're going to be religious about taking guns out of the boxes and putting them into the safe, then I won't argue (much) with your plan of el cheapo boxes since they'll only be holding guns when you're in the house.

In any case, I fear I'm derailing your thread and I think we just disagree, so I'll leave it at this.
View Quote
Yeah I don't disagree with you but I think we are getting side tracked.    My whole point is for additional security to be added so let's not quibble about that it's not enough.   If I'm getting out of the shower or having a dinner party or watching a movie with friends or family.    I don't necessarily want a gun on me at all times but I would like one within reach.    So I don't like the option of one laying on top of a bookshelf or something.   But if i could bolt a box down out of sight then I would be happier.

And even a cheaper box out of sight would still be an extra layer of security for some smash and grab thief.  And better than the "shotgun leaned against the wall near the door"
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't necessarily want a gun on me at all times but I would like one within reach.
View Quote
I'd suggest you look at different guns perhaps - this is a wallet and a Kahr PM9 Seecamp LWS-32...

Attachment Attached File

The Kahr goes in the box when showering or in bed, in a pocket the rest of the time.

ETA: Wrong picture above - it's a Seecamp not the Kahr, but the Kahr isn't much bigger and its pocket holster looks about the same...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#22]
For me, I do keep a home defense gun in my bed side safe all the time. I don't have other guns "stashed" around the home, but if you do at least you want to secure them as well. That's a good idea regardless of security.

I do always have a pocket gun on me at home and away. Away I usually have a larger gun on (G26) me as a primary. A pocket gun allows me to always be armed at home and other guns are nearby if needed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I do like the look of those Fas1 boxes.   I might buy one but I can't justify 4 of them.

I typically carry a performance center shield or an m&p 2.0 compact.   But if I'm going to stretch out on the couch, get comfortable,  or fool around with the missus I take it off.    Then every time I get up to use the bathroom or grab a snack etc.  I'm putting it on and off.   I like the idea of having one at the ready on all 3 levels of the house.

It's only to prevent a quick smash and grab and even a super high end one is going to be pried off the wall or bookshelf etc. if they want it.

Are there no boxes with simplex locks in the $150 range?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd suggest you look at different guns perhaps - this is a wallet and a Kahr PM9 Seecamp LWS-32...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/328408/B19A6627-D9E1-4E0F-9D75-795FEE887279-483963.JPG

The Kahr goes in the box when showering or in bed, in a pocket the rest of the time.

ETA: Wrong picture above - it's a Seecamp not the Kahr, but the Kahr isn't much bigger and its pocket holster looks about the same...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/328408/9F88D12C-408D-44CD-8F85-DCE5A30EDF5B-436614.JPG
View Quote
I have a handful of pocket guns.   That isn't the point.    I carry keys and a knife always too.   But when I really want to get comfortable I empty my pockets and stretch out on the couch.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are there no boxes with simplex locks in the $150 range?
View Quote
V-Line would probably be the closest to that price with a Simplex lock. Maybe on sale for Black Friday you can get there.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
The old Palmer Security drawer safe I have, is 12" deep, 8 3/4" wide and 3 1/4" tall, Simplex lock with the dual end tabs.  Not sure what gauge steel, but its heavy for its size, and black powder coated.  The drawer can be removed and flipped, to accomodate over or under mounting.  It came with a mounting plate, that the box locks to when the drawer is closed.  Has a handle on the back if needing to carry easily.

Used to have the plate bolted to the floor of a car under the front passenger seat, with the drawer opening to the rear.  As the driver, just had to reach back to enter the combo and open.  It currently resides bolted under the bed.

Would live for someone to release something new around this size again (wink wink, hint hint). @FAS1

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just wish @FAS1 made one that opened along the long edge like the old HanDGun "Console Caddy" does/did.
View Quote
Yeah, those safes made by R&D Enterprises in the early 1990s were tanks.  I bought one after reading good reviews on Gun Tests and rec.guns (anyone remember USENET?).  Hands down the best fast-access safe available at the time and perhaps even today.  I still have mine and wish I had bought more after I heard they went out of business.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The old Palmer Security drawer safe I have, is 12" deep, 8 3/4" wide and 3 1/4" tall, Simplex lock with the dual end tabs.  Not sure what gauge steel, but its heavy for its size, and black powder coated.  The drawer can be removed and flipped, to accomodate over or under mounting.  It came with a mounting plate, that the box locks to when the drawer is closed.  Has a handle on the back if needing to carry easily.

Used to have the plate bolted to the floor of a car under the front passenger seat, with the drawer opening to the rear.  As the driver, just had to reach back to enter the combo and open.  It currently resides bolted under the bed.

Would live for someone to release something new around this size again (wink wink, hint hint). @FAS1
View Quote
I wouldn’t mind having a drawer type in the FAS1 lineup.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah, those safes made by R&D Enterprises in the early 1990s were tanks.  I bought one after reading good reviews on Gun Tests and rec.guns (anyone remember USENET?).  Hands down the best fast-access safe available at the time and perhaps even today.  I still have mine and wish I had bought more after I heard they went out of business.  
View Quote
If you think about the cost back then they were on the high end and unfortunately not enough people appreciated the 1/4” steel.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those R&D Enterprises units were the best I have ever seen.  Too bad they quit making them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t mind having a drawer type in the FAS1 lineup.
View Quote
This.

Though I did find this simplex box over the weekend.  Not a drawer style, but at least it opens on the side, like a FAS1.  https://www.titanvault.com/  Now if FAS1 could come out with a box of about the same dimensions to fit under a car seat...
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a check deposit box bolted down in my truck, I got it for free, it's 1/4 steel with a 1/2 door. You will be cutting out my floor before you get my gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.

Though I did find this simplex box over the weekend.  Not a drawer style, but at least it opens on the side, like a FAS1.  https://www.titanvault.com/  Now if FAS1 could come out with a box of about the same dimensions to fit under a car seat...
View Quote
I did make a FAS1-Traveler lock box a couple years ago that was available with a mounting bracket and a heavy duty cable. It only was meant for vehicle storage and not quick access so I only used our same key as the In&Out Lock option on that safe to keep cost down. We didn't sell enough to continue producing them. There is a fine line between price and security that we apparently missed with that one, although everyone that purchased them was very happy and several people that own one have wanted to buy more.

Top Top