Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2019 6:47:15 PM EDT
Launches tomorrow (yay!)
Exclusive to Epic Store for 1 year (boo!)
My computer is borderline on the min specs to run the game (boo!)

I really want to play, but I'm probably going to have to hold off until I get a new computer...that'll give the game time to come down in price and be available on Steam.
I guess I'll stick to Battletech for now.

MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Launch Trailer
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested, but not Epic interested.

Modern PC gaming is virtuous patience.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I was interested until I learned that it's nothing but a that MWO used to build assets for.

No Multiplayer, not the main concern of the company = no buy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm enjoying it so far. In previous mechwarrior games vehicles to me felt like they were fleas but in the early missions in 5 there are enough of them with enough fire power they can fuck you up. The downside it takes about 3 missions before you encounter another enemy mech.  Regarding assets. I'm sure the base mechs and art direction came from MWO but I feel like they are more polished and detailed. I suspect its because they aren't trying to make it run on a potatoe like a f2p mmo should. In the mech bay you can actually stand at the foot of the mech and see the damage from the last mission before you repair it. Its cool that the story is less linear so far in the sense that like in Battletech you have access to the star map and can pick up contracts, buy mechs and components off the market and hire pilots as well as it takes time to repair your mech. But due to this my first impression is basically Hare brained's battletech but in a first person view. And I haven't decided if thats a good think or not.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there any other way to see contracts other then the little popups on planets in the starmap?

I did see a pop up for a 'rare mech' for sale on the map. It was a frigging Shadowhawk. Bought it anyways, my 3rd lancemate just can't stay alive in a light Mech. Dudes getting fired as soon as I find a replacement.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Played through it singleplayer and with friends. Boring story (revenge trope that is so thin you can see through it), dialogue is atrocious, a few good voice actors but otherwise horrible. There was nothing during play that made me feel anything other than boredom. If you've played MWO, the playstyle is similar for obvious reasons. If you have to have your fix, wait til it is on sale for ~$15.

PGI is holding back trying to decide whether to do a DLC that adds multiplayer, or to use the assets to bring out MWO2. Bad company is bad.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Are there non-campaign game modes with like an offline 5 vs 5?
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Played through it singleplayer and with friends. Boring story (revenge trope that is so thin you can see through it), dialogue is atrocious, a few good voice actors but otherwise horrible. There was nothing during play that made me feel anything other than boredom. If you've played MWO, the playstyle is similar for obvious reasons. If you have to have your fix, wait til it is on sale for ~$15.

PGI is holding back trying to decide whether to do a DLC that adds multiplayer, or to use the assets to bring out MWO2. Bad company is bad.
View Quote
They should do a Solaris DLC and leave MWO alone. Actually, Solaris (single and multiplayer) should have been in the original release. But they won't do that. MWO was such a shameless cash grab for a very slowly developed game.

I'm trying to like MW:5, but I just can't. The missions are all the same. The fucking enemy spawns are bullshit. You just cleared the objective, congrats. Here's 6 vehicles and 2 light mechs spawning in 20 feet behind you.

MW:5 is a shit product. It's MWO engine and gameplay with a copy of Harebraineds starmap/contract system.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I really wanted to like MW5..., but it's just shit. Before the game even came out my opinion of PGI was soured, I bought an early copy from their site and then the whole Epic Game Store exclusivity BS happened so I refunded. I could deal with the graphics and some of the more glaring bad items, but the thing that just kills it for me is the enemy spawns and difficulty. There's no sense at all to where enemies spawn on the map or why they keep respawning, and the missions are all the same. Get off dropship, rush in and wade (literally it seems like sometimes) through enemies, and then run to the dropship for pickup. If it's a defend mission then your map and radar is useless so you end up running around the base looking for all the enemies while your teammates run over all the buildings you're supposed to be defending. There's absolute zero tactics...you run around circling each other until one of you finally blows up. I went from optimistic for having another mechwarrior game to absolutely loathing the game. I honestly hope PGI gets the license for Mechwarrior yanked so the IP can go to somebody that can do an actual half decent job.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Played MWO consistently from 2012 until 2019 when I finally completely lost interest. I regretfully preordered MW5. May never install it. Done with PGI and their incompetence.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
MEHwarrior 5, cause PGI sucks.

The summation is the voice acting is poopy, the AI is horrendous, so they just send waves and waves of enemies.

And those that played MWO knew that PGI had showed us zero evidence or indication that they actually had the talent to create even decent AI, nevermind a balanced multiplayer game.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Very sorry to read this.

MW:2 Mercs was one of my favorite childhood games. Enjoyed MWO but couldn’t keep up with the clan stuff and lost interest a bit. Was hoping MW:5 would get me back into it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 2:29:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve been playing it.

The Deus Ex voice actor is pretty good, and the other voice actors are a very mixed bag.

I’m not sure how I feel about it. I was expecting it to complete fucking trash, but it’s not.

The missions are a bit repetitive.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I supported MWO when it first came out, but havent played it since ~2013.  I jumped at MW5M as it had a ton of potential (set in an interesting and under-utalized time in the BT lore), but I just couldn't get into it.  The BT lore has a ton of stuff they could play with and make me care about, but MW5M just never made me care about anything and the game play was repetitive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top