Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2024 1:02:33 PM EDT
noticed I didn’t hear the dryer running also knew that the clothes could not be dry after such a short time.
opening the door the light didn’t come on, closed door and twirled the dial, pushing and pulling the center knob with no sounds or any signs of action.
briefly looking at you tube my first blush off the cuff diagnosis is a thermal fuse
checked electrical box and the dryer circuit is not tripped
replaced something back around 2011ish but can’t remember what it was - think the dryer was basically working but without any heat output
this is a basic old school dryer style without any digital displays etc

any input from repairing a similar issue?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry I can't help diagnose but I just had to replace the heating element in my whirlpool dryer over the weekend. what a pain in the ass. Had to take every part off the damn thing to get to it. In the end though, replacing a $40 part was better than spending $600 on a new dryer...Good luck OP!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
bump for night crew
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:33:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#4]
Electric? If so, the high limit or thermal fuse tripped. On MOST, gas dryers will tumble but no heat, electric, if the high limit or t fuse trips, the entire unit shuts down. If the door switch breaks, that will shut down a dryer right now also.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The thermal fuse blowing wouldn’t trip the breaker. Given that it’s an older electric dryer with very little going on electrically, it seems like a solid lead. Not sure where it’s located in the dryer but once you find it all you’d need to do is test continuity.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a volt meter?  Easy to check the thermal fuse by checking for ohms on the leads.  It's typically right behind the rear access panel.

It's also like a $5 party off Amazon.   I just put one in our dryer after the kids loaded it down with rugs without cleaning the dryer vent out...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Probably your thermal fuse, when you replace it, you should probably also replace your high limit thermostat and then clean the lint out of your dryer and check the duct in the wall for clogs.
Top Top