Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2022 8:33:16 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I have to replace a couple of interior doors and they're the tract house, contractor grade doors in a kind of oak/cherry color (the right side of the pic). We're going to be selling the house so we don't want to spend a bunch of money on replacing the doors with nicer ones.

I was disappointed to learn that these prefinished, bs quality doors aren't available anymore. You have to buy unfinished doors. The problem is that the unfinished doors are darker than the prefinished doors. (The left side of the picture)

Is there a way to finish the unfinished doors to match the casing and trim that are the same color as the old doors?

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Take door to Sherwin-Williams, do a color match.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take door to Sherwin-Williams, do a color match.
View Quote

Paint it instead of stain?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy crap, what a pain in the ass this has been.

Step 1 was a stain that should have been the same color but because of the color of the wood it ended up way too dark.

Step 2 was me taking a chunk of an old door to home depot and having them match it.  That got me a weird tan/orange color that you can see on the bottom of the door in this picture

Attachment Attached File

I thinned the paint so it wouldn't fill in the wood grain in the door. The color was close but it was too uniform in color. I decided to try putting the stain on after the paint. It settled in the grain of the wood and made the doors about perfect. You can see the test on the top of the door in the picture.

Here's a finished and installed door. The closet door on the left was the target color

Attachment Attached File

It looks closer IRL but the LED lights make it look a little weird on the camera.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Holy crap, what a pain in the ass this has been.

Step 1 was a stain that should have been the same color but because of the color of the wood it ended up way too dark.

Step 2 was me taking a chunk of an old door to home depot and having them match it.  That got me a weird tan/orange color that you can see on the bottom of the door in this picture

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG3598_JPG-2354090.JPG

I thinned the paint so it wouldn't fill in the wood grain in the door. The color was close but it was too uniform in color. I decided to try putting the stain on after the paint. It settled in the grain of the wood and made the doors about perfect. You can see the test on the top of the door in the picture.

Here's a finished and installed door. The closet door on the left was the target color

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG3608_JPG-2354097.JPG

It looks closer IRL but the LED lights make it look a little weird on the camera.
View Quote

Looks good. I would have painted them both white...
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I would have had to do more doors and I was worried that white doors would look bad in the wood finish frames(and trim)
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Be me, happy to be done changing doors out. Getting ready for work this morning, then hearing one kid yelling at the other about not using all the hot water, then a smack sound.

Freaking kid punched a hole in one of the new doors. . Now I'm painting another new door to replace the ~month old one that got broken.

I am actually replacing the door in the picture above. Lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If you’re selling the house, why are you so worried about the doors matching? I mean, I’d try but I wouldn’t stress out over it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you’re selling the house, why are you so worried about the doors matching? I mean, I’d try but I wouldn’t stress out over it.
View Quote

The inspection has already been done and we're less than two weeks from closing, so there's things that we need to be doing instead of doing work over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top