Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2023 9:54:40 AM EDT
I will be going through my 3rd degree In January, during my personal research I have learned a lot, but things can become confusing, because of all the anti-masonic information out there that sometimes seems to be legit.

What websites and books have been essential and beneficial to you?

So far I have found these to be good.

Freemasons For Dummies
The Lions paw
Making good men better
Is it True What They Say About Freemasonry
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ya... I don't think so.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sladekal:

Ya... I don't think so.
View Quote

all the Mason haters will say it,
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I will start, I opened this topic because when I joined the lodge I was looking for information that was not not misleading and was as close as it could be to historical accuracy.

I will add further information as I read other books and put quick notes as to how I feel about them so others may come here and find something of value.

Freemasons For Dummies:
I found this book to be a good introduction especially for new members of the Masonic Lodge.

The Lions paw:
An interesting book written in historical times by a Mason. I found some interesting lessons within this one.

Is it True What They Say About Freemasonry:
With a lot of the slanderous and misleading material out there this is a good reference as to some of the basic hoax that have been plaguing Masonry for generations.

Books that I plan on reading or are currently reading.

The Builders a story and study of Masonry.

365 level steps.

The history of Freemasonry and the Grand Lodge of Scotland.

Books that should be avoided.

The lost keys of Freemasonry:
Even though this book was written by a Mason it was written before he had become one. It is filled with a lot of speculation and incorrect information.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
For entertainment sprinkled with some interesting historical facts and a smattering of conspiracy, I enjoyed The Craft.

If you're wanting to think a little sideways, read The Allegory of the Cave (Illustrated) by Plato, as translated by Benjamin Jowett. Originally translated in 1888, the newest edition was published in 2017 by Enhanced Media. If you look at it closely, either Plato was the first "modern" mason, or the founding masons were well versed in the classics.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 5:45:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PSI] [#6]
You’re going to receive the Master Mason Degree in January? Put the books down and back away from your computer. The best Masonic book was the one on the alter when receiving your degrees. It’s the Great Light of Freemasonry.

I’m guessing you’ve already researched what takes place during the degrees. You’ve maybe read rituals online. I hope not. If so, you may have ruined the experience.

Freemasonry isn’t something you learn from books. It’s what you experience and feel in your heart. Pay attention to what’s happening to you during the degrees. The Brethren have spent countless hours and years learning the work to give you the best experience possible. Don’t cheapen their dedication because you need to know everything right now. Intently listen to the dialogue of opening and closing a lodge. Those are good places to start searching for meaning..

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PSI:
You’re going to receive the Master Mason Degree in January? Put the books down and back away from your computer. The best Masonic book was the one on the alter when receiving your degrees. It’s the Great Light of Freemasonry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PSI:

As I believe it is the foundation that every Mason should have.

I’m guessing you’ve already researched what takes place during the degrees. You’ve maybe read rituals online. I hope not. If so, you may have ruined the experience.

Perhaps, I have tried to stay clear of the rituals, but many past and present examples from all over the world are available so it can be hard to avoid. In my endeavor however I believe that what I did know only enhanced my experience.

Freemasonry isn’t something you learn from books. It’s what you experience and feel in your heart. Pay attention to what’s happening to you during the degrees. The Brethren have spent countless hours and years learning the work to give you the best experience possible. Don’t cheapen their dedication because you need to know everything right now. Intently listen to the dialogue of opening and closing a lodge. Those are good places to start searching for meaning..

As for learning from books I will have to disagree, but the feelings in ones own heart is spot on. We all take our understanding and build our own tool box as we experience life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top