Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2018 2:23:48 PM EDT
I've always had an interest in freemasonry and have even thought of joining a lodge, primarily due to my interest in George Washington and knowing his affinity for the practice.

Aside him though, a lot of the Presidents who were freemasons seem to espouse some pretty liberal thinking and policies and it made me wonder if any of that could have come from masonic teaching or something along those lines. I know you're not supposed to or allowed to speak about politics in the lodge but I've also heard that democracy as the US knew it sprang from Freemasonry as well.

Might be a stupid question, but I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
My lodge is pretty universally conservative, as far as I can tell being very new.

I hear jokes and remarks that I haven't heard in 20 years being an IT guy in a more urban environment (but I did hear when I did some time as an EMT some years back).

It's refreshing, really.

I would imagine that being male (and mostly White) that Masonic lodges would trend more conservative than America in general, but location and member age and other things would definitely affect that, and I'm sure there are some regional differences too.

Also, the type of person who would run for non-local office is probably somewhat different, and has different concerns, than the run-of-the-mill lodge members.

I've noticed from visitors to my new lodge that the guys who come in who are part of the Grand Lodge (I don't know how all the non-local power structure works yet) are very good guys, but seem to have a different perspective than my regular lodge brothers.

Kind of like the kids who you knew every year were going to run for Student Council or whatever back in school.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top