Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At 44?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have millennials filling out retirement paperwork...

At 44?
Can't you still retire from the military with 20 years?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've driven sticks my whole life.  I've owned 6 or 7 different sticks.  I just enjoy them.

There is nothing remotely difficult about driving them.  The only thing that takes practice is pulling out on a hill.  That's it.
View Quote

Kids now need a third hand for their cellphone.  They can’t put it down long enough to grab a stick to shift gears.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can't you still retire from the military with 20 years?
View Quote

Now that I can see.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jesus it's not about millennials. Just quoting this.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71AbuoWyW-L.jpg
View Quote

did you write a 50 page peer-reviewed dissertation explaining that in the OP? No?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Title edited to end the triggering.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Kids now need a third hand for their cellphone.  They can't put it down long enough to grab a stick to shift gears.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]
My 13 year old daughter can drive a manual transmission.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Yessssssss!

My buddy called me last night. He's debating color and stick/auto for his new M2. I'd be stick all the way, but they're significantly slower, so I think he's going auto. His last M3 was auto. His M5 before that was manual. They're fun both ways. I had a SMG E46 M3 and it was a beast on the track.

I've been looking at 911's lately and it makes me sick how many are autos. Gross.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now that I can see.
View Quote

Dropping my retirement papers in 2 months
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Title edited to end the triggering.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Kids now need a third hand for their cellphone.  They can't put it down long enough to grab a stick to shift gears.
View Quote
They don't make them anymore. Automatics accounted for 99% of new car sales last year, and numerous manufacturers have already said they'll discontinue all manual options by 2030. ICE cars broadly are right behind that, meaning that gasoline is going to get harder to source, even for used car drivers, as it's popularity wanes. It's practically guaranteed that shithole states will ban petrol outright.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yessssssss!

My buddy called me last night. He's debating color and stick/auto for his new M2. I'd be stick all the way, but they're significantly slower, so I think he's going auto. His last M3 was auto. His M5 before that was manual. They're fun both ways. I had a SMG E46 M3 and it was a beast on the track.

I've been looking at 911's lately and it makes me sick how many are autos. Gross.
View Quote

The only reason to get the manual is because you're a manual person. Don't get the manual if you want fastest lap times or drags.

I owned 5 Challengers over about 10 years.

They were manual, auto, auto, auto, manual.

While the autos were superior, they were missing something for me that the manual has.

With as pampering and isolating as cars are now, including this M2, the manual is the last vestiges of connection with the car.

And it's BMWs last. Had to preserve one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Born in 83. Learned off a manual.
Not all millennials are phaggots.

Edit also 20 is most likely gen z. But still funny you saw the joke in real life.
View Quote

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials

That's because this is our generation. The last who remember an analog world.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Lol,  a lot of my driver training on a learners permit was stick.  Right after licensing onee of the sticks I drove was a deuce and a half.   That said my military license check ride was in a 5 ton automatic which was nice.   They put the deuce on my license because we were shuttling them around for the army Guard guys that shared a shop with the Marine reserves.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I love a manual on open roads.
I loathe manuals in stop and start traffic, and especially hill starts when the guy behind you has pulled up within 3 inches of your bumper.

I, for one, welcome our sequential gearbox overlords.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Learned at 15 on Dad's company truck, a 70 Ford w/ 3 on the tree. Those things were indestructable.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kids now need a third hand for their cellphone.  They can’t put it down long enough to grab a stick to shift gears.
View Quote

Ha in my college days the trick was trying to eat a whopper and fries in a truck with no cup holder and shift in stop and go traffic on a steep hill due to the light at the top of the hill.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had service porters at the Toyota dealership struggle with my Supra, and it's a ZF8. One was like "I don't think I can drive that...", and the other had to be shown how to put the car in gear.

Only a couple of the "car guy" ones will move it around now, and they're really careful with it - they bring it around to the side to avoid scraping and keep it away from other traffic. I appreciate this.

Still, kind of weird. I have no doubt manual cars would have even more issues with this, given how uncommon they are in the US these days.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#20]
My 25 year old son would not have a problem driving your M2.

He cut his teeth on my 328xi wagon and even got some seat time in my 911.

ETA: I’ve only been without a manual car for probably 10 years of my driving life (50 years). I don’t own a car with an automatic right now. My first manual was my dad’s ‘78 Audi 5000 diesel. My first wife was driving a ‘77 Rabbit diesel with a manual when I met her. Ran through a couple RX-7’s and Ford’s with manuals (Explorer and Ranger Splash) and a cool Nissan Sentra SE-R in ‘92. A bunch of Hondas, a BMW wagon and three Porsches. Oh, and my awesome VW Alltrack I’m driving currently.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I taught my son to drive a manual and he is 25 and still driving one
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don’t know why old people think it’s some giant accomplishment to drive a manual. If I had to drive a manual I would just look up how to do it on YouTube and then 90 seconds later have it figured out.
View Quote

90 seconds !! Not a chance
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#24]
The real anti theft device is a 3 on the tree.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ha in my college days the trick was trying to eat a whopper and fries in a truck with no cup holder and shift in stop and go traffic on a steep hill due to the light at the top of the hill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha those were the days.

Add in the flip phone
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t know why old people think it’s some giant accomplishment to drive a manual. If I had to drive a manual I would just look up how to do it on YouTube and then 90 seconds later have it figured out.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#27]
My 18-year old granddaughter can drive a manual like Mario Andretti.

Her boyfriend (who doesn't have license yet ) and all her friends are awe-struck by it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#28]
When I took my T56 Dakota to the dealer for a recall they put a special tag on it stating it was a manual as only a few people could drive one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The real anti theft device is a 3 on the tree.
View Quote

Somewhere, out there, is an 80 year old car thief licking his chops at the prospect you snagging your ‘65 Ford pickup.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I want a manual bad. Not many cars available with them these days in the trim level I would want.

It would have to be a third car. Wife has an old hip injury that leaves her leg numb after working the clutch.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Just be glad he knew he didn't have the skills, and wasn't embarrassed to admit it.

Your clutch and your gear train appreciates it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The only reason to get the manual is because you're a manual person. Don't get the manual if you want fastest lap times or drags.

While the autos were superior, they were missing something for me that the manual has.

With as pampering and isolating as cars are now, including this M2, the manual is the last vestiges of connection with the car.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yessssssss!

“Porsche has entered the chat.”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ETA: I’ve only been without a manual car for probably 10 years of my driving life (50 years). I don’t own a car with an automatic right now. My first manual was my dad’s ‘78 Audi 5000 diesel. My first wife was driving a ‘77 Rabbit diesel with a manual when I met her. Ran through a couple RX-7’s and Ford’s with manuals (Explorer and Ranger Splash) and a cool Nissan Sentra SE-R in ‘92. A bunch of Hondas, a BMW wagon and three Porsches. Oh, and my awesome VW Alltrack I’m driving currently.
View Quote

Good parenting!
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#34]
It's a retarded meme. It may (and has) stop a random carjacking, it's not going to stop anyone who's stealing cars for a living.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Born in 1990.  Learned do drive a manual in a little blue Chevy Luv.  My daily driver is a manual transmission and it will be the rig my Daughter learns to drive in.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ve seen some brains hydrolock when they take a look inside my manual ‘85 Toyota pickup with dual transfer case. I find it amusing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've driven sticks my whole life.  I've owned 6 or 7 different sticks.  I just enjoy them.

There is nothing remotely difficult about driving them.  The only thing that takes practice is pulling out on a hill.  That's it.
View Quote

And once you realize that using the emergency break to assist in pulling out on a hill is an option then even that becomes trivial.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm proud my wife can drive a manual.

I daily drive manuals for twenty years before buying my first automatic.

Have always had one MT car in the driveway.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Learned on a 1970's Toyota pickup.  Single cab, short bed.  I forgot if it was a 4 or 5 speed.  

Years later I bought the same setup Tacoma.  One of my favorites to drive.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Born in 83. Learned off a manual.
Not all millennials are phaggots.

Edit also 20 is most likely gen z. But still funny you saw the joke in real life.
View Quote

Meh. Can't really put the blame on an age group, it's only because the car manufacturers stopped making a standard trim level that had manual transmissions.  I can't stand auto transmissions, but I hate paying an extra premium just to get one too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's a retarded meme. It may (and has) stop a random carjacking, it's not going to stop anyone who's stealing cars for a living.
View Quote
This.  It's like the guys who think a manual safety in a pistol will save them if they get their gun grabbed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Only one of my three (adult) kids can drive a manual.

we don't have any manuals, so why would they know how?

I don't see this as a significant deficit for them.  Both my wife and I learned to drive sticks at a young age, but there simply aren't that many around anymore.

Now if they ever travel to Europe and rent a car  that will be funny!  

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Congrats on being old?
View Quote

Yeah I personally love manuals, especially in an M, but other than the fun factor, they are completely obsolete.

Might as well make fun of the kid for not being able to ride a horse.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#44]

How does it compare to the F87? I've been thinking of pullung the trigger on one myself.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#45]
IIT we measure our manhood with our ability to operate a 100 year old transmission system.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Even though it's hands instead of feet, riding a motorcycle definitely helps with the concept of clutch engagement vs throttle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh. It's not very hard to figure out, but I've only driven a couple manuals and that was probably 15 years ago. Still regularly ride a motorcycle so I'm very familiar with the concepts involved. There just aren't very many manual vehicles around anymore to where it would be intuitive for me.

I wouldn't want to back up an unfamiliar manual vehicle in a confined area. Just not worth the risk of damaging someone's property.
Even though it's hands instead of feet, riding a motorcycle definitely helps with the concept of clutch engagement vs throttle.

Actually the manual car and truck were before I started motorcycle riding regularly (goofed off with dirt bikes a few times before ever driving any car). I could probably pick it up pretty quickly if I had a need to with the decade of subsequent motorcycle experience.

I don’t really need to, though, and there just aren’t any real opportunities to do so.

If I dedicated myself to the task and bought one of the few remaining manual vehicles, I don’t see what I would really accomplish. Just make traffic more tedious? Decrease the likelihood that someone else can easily drive me to help if I become incapacitated in a remote area?

It seems the only good reason to learn would be to carjack old people, but so far in life I’ve avoided needing to do that. Just doesn’t really affect my life at all, and it’s kind of weird when people make it an integral part of their personality.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#47]
My niece can drive a manual transmission, and can even back into small spaces to parallel park using only her rearview mirrors..doesn't have to turn her head to look behind her...with a manual transmission.  I am proud of her.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
IIT we measure our manhood with our ability to operate a 100 year old transmission system.
View Quote
A system that the average teenage girl in most other countries can also operate.  

I still like my manuals though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How does it compare to the F87? I've been thinking of pullung the trigger on one myself.
View Quote

People say the G87 is less edgy, but I suspect they're people that don't one or haven't spent much time in one. I'm at 2300 miles now and my G87 is superior to my F87 in every metric that matters to me.

What G87 doesn't do is try to kill me. F87 is known for have a twitchy rear end that is easily unbalanced, including wheel hop, and while that IS very fun at times, it also almost put me into a ditch once when taking a corner and the road elevation sunk down on the outside (truck ruts). The car lost all composure but I was able to correct and keep it out of the ditch. G87 doesn't do that. G87 is planted and I can take the same roads much faster in this car.

Some will say that's G87 losing edginess compared to F87, and I agree to a point. However, G87 has the fancy traction control of the other G8X cars and you can dial it all the way down and that edginess is back. It's just not a normal character of the car. When you knock the traction control down to 4 or less..., you better understand how to correct a car that's stepping out. Jackie Ding is building a G87 race car and he learned this when he almost put it into a wall a couple weeks back.

Looks are subjective. Some argue F87 is more beautiful..., and I agree from a beauty perspective. G87 is obviously more bold and in your face. In person it's haunches and angles show it means business. It has a much greater presence than F87. My F87 blended into the background and the rest of the BMW line, G87, not so much. The attention this car draws is unlike anything I've ever experienced with a car. I'm not sure I like it really, everywhere I go, and I mean everywhere, people stop me to talk about the car. Filling up with gas? Lady wants me to take a photo of her with it. Pulling into my hotel last night? Gaggle of people come out to talk about it before I could get in and check into the hotel. Etc. I do like interacting with people, but it's becoming inconvenient at times.

I like that BMW went bolder to separate their cars from each other and all the others, though the buck tooth grille of the big brothers never did grow on me. Point is, there's no confusing G87 for any other car in the line up, that's for sure, whether or not you like the looks.

Interior there's no comparison. It's a fact that F87's interior was from 2012. G87 gets all the new stuff and tech. I personally like the tech. If I'm buying a modern M car, I want the modern tech. I do wish they would have thought hard about how to integrate the screens. That is the one knock I'll give the interior. I also wish that with all of this tech, they could give us many more options for gauge configuration other than the 2 we have. Another big miss is the "sport" gauges can't be tied to the M1 and M2 buttons. So, to get my car set up for full sport driving, I have to press the M2 button twice, then press the "M mode" button to bring up display selection, then turn the dial right and click to select the sport display. For a 2023 car, that's a lot of manipulations when they simply could have let us tie the displays to the M buttons.

Another thing I don't like is that in the USA, there is no option for a plain steel roof. You get a sunroof from the factory, or you're forced to buy the 2600 carbon roof if you want a slick top. Now, I DO love the carbon roof, but I would have optioned a steel roof if given the choice.

One other big difference is that F87 power stopped rising at about 4500-5000 RPM. It was a flat line to the red line. Those of use experienced at driving it would often shift well before red line since there was no point in revving it out. G87 pulls all the way to red line. It's clear she has so much more to give, too, absent the neutering tune she has to keep her a little less than the bigger siblings. That said, G87 takes an extra second to build boost and get going when less than 3500RPM, that's something F87 didn't do. However, I would rather have G87's grunt to the red line over the low end grunt of the F87 with the manual and the way I drive. My car spends most her time at 5K RPM and above. (ETA This is all regarding the MANUAL version. The auto version is drastically different, keeping revs where they need to be the whole time).

Yes she's a little bigger and heavier too, but that goes unnoticed when behind the wheel.

For me, the weekend warrior PA backroads guy with an occasional track day with BMW CCA, BMW knocked it out of the park. It's everything I was hoping for, and then some, in their last fully ICE manual M car.

Hope that helps!

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Congrats on being old?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been driving stick longer than he has been alive.

Congrats on being old?

He may not be old. I'm 31 and I've been driving a stick longer than that kid has been alive. I had only driven one automatic by the time I was in highschool and had no idea how a collum shift automatic worked when I took drivers Ed. The instructor thought I was joking when I asked how to put it into gear.

In 2001 my dad got a new super duty with a 6MT. The guy at the place he got the bed liner had no idea how to drive a stick and needed us to move it around the yard to where the bed liner was.

I've never owned an automatic and my folks at 70 years old just got their second ever automatic because it wasn't available in a stick. They still have 2 vehicles with a stick. First automatic for them was in 1997 and didn't last long.
Page / 4
Top Top