Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2024 11:34:26 AM EDT
So me and wife bought a whole hog. We asked for as little ground pork as possible, whole cuts such as collar steaks which is by the way amazing.
Any way I have a wonderful ham piece with nice thick fat cap and everything and its a big boy.
How do I go about cooking it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#1]
If you don't cure it first using regular salt and pink curing salt (NOT Himalayan pink salt), it's just pork roast.  You need the nitrites for that "hammy" taste and color.

You can also use Morton's TenderQuick.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Brine Box? Or would you end up with something more like country ham?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
Brine Box? Or would you end up with something more like country ham?
View Quote

I am not sure.
What would such a cut of meat be suitable for?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Also is smoking ham a good idea?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Curing Ham consists of a long brine, wet or dry in salt or sugar, or both.
The Ham is then usually smoked and then left to hang, sometimes for a considerable length of time.

In general, such a Ham must then be soaked to remove excess salt prior to serving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top