Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2024 12:15:44 AM EDT
The Mexican food options here are generally awful, so I've been working on making my own.

After making some difficult and time-consuming things, I decided to try some more basic stuff. Today I made  tortillas and refried beans. The beans were great, the tortillas were not.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, that's one thing that we have no problem with here, real (not TexMex) homemade Mexican food
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
….. Joe ordered you some more Mexicans unfortunately the girls cook and only the boys came so concrete work and roofing is all you get.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
Yeah, that's one thing that we have no problem with here, real (not TexMex) homemade Mexican food
View Quote

Trust me; I know.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my favorite make-at-home Mexican recipes

https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe

Don't skip the fish sauce. (I know it's not from the same continent)  I will also braze this recipe in the oven for about 8 hours if I have the time it's better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Was lard involved?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Frijoles, frijoles, la fruta mágica
Cuanto más comes, más tocas,
Cuanto más tocas, mejor te sientes
¡Así que comamos frijoles en cada comida!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Your problem with the tortillas is your cooking them wrong. You don’t use a pan they go directly onto the burner.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BigFatDog:
Was lard involved?
View Quote

Of course I used manteca - I'm not FROM the Midwest.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
Your problem with the tortillas is your cooking them wrong. You don’t use a pan they go directly onto the burner.
View Quote

It's acceptable to use cast iron.

Another problem is my masa was from 2016. I've replaced it now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:35:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#11]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
I grew up in SoCal and also lived in AZ for a while, I never realized how reliant I was on good Mexican food until I was away from it. We do have some decent places here but a lot of them are food trucks downtown and not really local. Chipotle and Qdoba definitely aren’t the same as what I’m used to.
I also miss Tommy’s, In-N-Out, Hawaiian BBQ, Mongolian BBQ, etc. the west coast really has the best fast food (no offense to Philly sammiches and NY pizza and Miami/Tampa cubanos).
View Quote

I'm from Texas and lived there most of my life, so I have a similar feeling. I used to buy fresh tortillas at the supermarket bakery. There are also great taco counters in gas stations and tons of good Mexican restaurants. It's one reason I didn't bother to learn how to cook the stuff myself earlier.

Another observation I've made while trying to cook stuff, is how mild the peppers are in the stores here. The jalapenos I buy here are barely hotter than bell peppers. The serranos hardly even have any kick. I have to get habaneros to even get a reaction.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
My Mom put some bacon grease in her tortillas. I make this Chile Verde (green chile pork) once in a while. It's really easy and goes good with frijoles and tortillas.

https://www.isabeleats.com/

I buy Mission tortillas, lol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Gotta DIY here too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top