Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/30/2021 9:38:14 AM EDT
But a study announced in December from a team of researchers in the journal Icarus now claims the IAU’s definition was based on astrology — a type of folklore, not science — and that it’s harming both scientific research and the popular understanding of the solar system.
View Quote

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/pluto-planet-debate-rages-rcna8848

I believe @DK-PROF is a planet denier of I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess that we can expect a barrage of Tweets from Mr. Black Science Man now.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Pluto has always been a planet when I was in school.

My Very Educated Mother Just Sold Us Nine PIZZA's
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess that we can expect a barrage of Tweets from Mr. Black Science Man now.

View Quote
I think he's working on getting ready to tweet fest how cupid isn't real.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Only if they stop mining plutonium!!
Then the ecological devastation and climate change on Pluto will stop.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Pluto has always been and will always be a planet in this house.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a giant object that rotates around the sun and has it's own moon. It's a planet.  This is easy stuff.

Now what the hell is a mammal with an XX or an XY chromosome supposed to be called?? That's the hard science.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Bullshit, if planetoids like Pluto were given full status we’d need to give the thousands of Pluto size and larger planetoids we’ve been finding here all over the place new names!

The list of planets in Sol would be so long no one but competing middle schoolers would bother to learn it.

No keep the dwarfs off the list. You need to be sphereacle  and big enough to have cleaned up your orbitals.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#9]
We were treating Pluto's influence as a planet on astrological charts when I was taking courses at the North Star Group in Tacoma in 1969-1970-- I question their methodology, but of course I question everyone's methodology, because that's Science (no, really)
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a giant object that rotates around the sun and has it's own moon. It's a planet.  This is easy stuff.

Now what the hell is a mammal with an XX or an XY chromosome supposed to be called?? That's the hard science.
View Quote

If we use that criteria, we have hundreds of planets.  There are many asteroids, including rather small ones, that have moons, even multiple moons.

Still, I grew up with Pluto, and it will always be the ninth planet to me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#11]
The "folklore" of astrology pegs the discovery of Pluto with the birth of the United States. There's an 80+ year cycle with Pluto that correlates to the revolutionary war, us civil war, us entry into WWII, and now...this period

It's no wonder they want to cancel Pluto...

...also, astrology has more scientific credence than most of the shit I've seen spouted by our scientific community in the past couple decades
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bullshit, if planetoids like Pluto were given full status we’d need to give the thousands of Pluto size and larger planetoids we’ve been finding here all over the place new names!

The list of planets in Sol would be so long no one but competing middle schoolers would bother to learn it.

No keep the dwarfs off the list. You need to be sphereacle  and big enough to have cleaned up your orbitals.
View Quote

We would not have to classify other Pluto-like objects, even ones larger than Pluto, as planets.  We could classify Pluto as a planet because it earned it by being the first of that kind of body to be found, and for being classified as a planet for many decades.

Granted, large asteroids like Vesta and Ceres were classified as planets for periods of times until they too were dropped off the planet list, but I think Pluto is the exception.  It had a longer life classified as a planet, and it was the first of its kind found.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#13]
There’s a Gamilon base under the ice on Pluto
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Pluto is planet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Pluto always has been a planet. Period. End of story.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is it really a moon if the barycenter is outside it's main body? Looks more like a two body system to me.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

New Horizons proved how stupid astronomers were.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Me, desperately trying to hold back a Uranus joke:

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Case for making earth not a planet. Earth had not cleared it's orbit path just like Pluto. Earth size compared to its moon is much more like Pluto then other planets. The center of the moon orbit actually comes out to being 75% from the center of the earth and the moon is moving away at 1.5 inches a year. Put earth in mercury orbit and Earth will look like a comet as the oceans boils away. There are thousands of very large objects in the Ort cloud. They are so far from the suns light that next to nothing is known about them. Could be a lot of them larger then earth.  Pluto was knocked out of the plant club after the planetary scientist had left the meeting. So obviously there is leeway for stunts to. Would of made actually sense to wait for the pictures from the space probe but nope they noticed who had left the meeting and went with it. Let's face it no matter how much a few scientist have contributed the vast majority are just like everyone else. The label of planet is a category system and Pluto is not a planet because of a joke.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Pluto is a planet. If you got a problem with Pluto being a planet then you got a problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate!
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://s1.r29static.com/bin/entry/4c1/0,0,2000,1050/x,80/2167315/this-pluto-retrograde-its-time-2167315.jpg
View Quote

will that put an end to plutoquakes and shrinkage?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#24]
If Mickey is a mouse, Donald is a duck, Pluto is a dog then what the hell is Goofy?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Pluto is a transgender planet.

Can't even clear its own fuckin orbit.

Or even stay in it's own orbit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#26]
"Poor old planet Pluto now he never stood a chance
no how When he got uninvited to the interplanetary dance
Once a mighty planet there, now just an ordinary star
Hangin' out in Hollywood in some old funky sushi bar"
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#27]
They could have easily come up with their dumb new planet definition but kept Pluto officially a planet for historical tradition. The whole thing was a joke.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They could have easily come up with their dumb new planet definition but kept Pluto officially a planet for historical tradition. The whole thing was a joke.
View Quote

Nooooooo, Black Science Man just had to make his mark!
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interplanetary scientists say it's a planet. They study planets for a living.

Astronomers said its not. They look at stuff through a tube.

HMMMM WHO SHOULD WE BELIEVE? OH BOY I CHOSE THE STUPID GLASS TUBE FAGS
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Science is really getting harder to trust.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://s1.r29static.com/bin/entry/4c1/0,0,2000,1050/x,80/2167315/this-pluto-retrograde-its-time-2167315.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Ceres was called a planet when it was first discovered.  Then they discovered the rest of the asteroid belt and realized Ceres was something different, and they stopped calling it a planet.

Pluto has gone through a very similar path.  Years after it was discovered, it was later realized that Pluto is in a similar belt of orbiting objects.  The final nail in the coffin was the discovery of Eris, which is about the same size as Pluto and has even more mass.  They realized that Pluto was just the first body in this new belt to have been discovered, and again it's something different.  But it is significantly bigger than Ceres.  A new "dwarf planet" designation for Pluto, Eris, and other similar "in-between" bodies makes sense.

its all semantics anyway.  It's not like they care what we decide to call them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pluto always has been a planet. Period. End of story.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pluto has always been a planet when I was in school.

My Very Educated Mother Just Sold Us Nine PIZZA's
View Quote

RAH taught me: Mother Very Thoughtfully Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest (Includes the asteroid belt).
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

RAH taught me: Mother Very Thoughtfully Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest (Includes the asteroid belt).
View Quote

That's harder to remember than Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune and not a planet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I remember when all this stuff got going. A man from the IAU made a public statement on this and the anchorman broadcasting the announcement on the CBS News burst out laughing, asking the question.

"When was the last time you saw someone wearing a monocle?"

I don't think we are supposed to take those people seriously.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is it really a moon if the barycenter is outside it's main body? Looks more like a two body system to me.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Pluto-Charon_System.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Charon doesn't orbit Pluto, they both orbit around a point in space.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is true of the Earth and the Moon, about the Sun and Jupiter, about literally ever pair of bodies in the universe.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Clearing your orbit doesn't mean having or not having a moon, it's that nearly everything in your orbit is either ejected or gravitationally bound to you. Pluto has not done this. Orcus is another dwarf planet orbiting at about the same distance. If anything they're both bound to Neptune.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#41]
In the last 20 years, technical societies have made two reprehensably bad random decisions

1) delisiting Pluto as a planet
2) removing double spacing after the period at the end of the sentance

We need to bring back tar and feathering for this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Amen. And while we are at it, can we get the Brontosaurus back too?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#43]
I grew up with Pluto as a planet and nothing a bunch of hacks say will change that. What I want to know is when Nibiru is going to get some respect?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Pluto is a dog.  And he is the pet of an anthropomorphic mouse. How is this complicated?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Scientists need to stop overthinking this…

If its mass is big enough to be a sphere, it’s a moon or a planet.

If by itself or has moons, it’s a planet.
If it’s orbiting a nearby planet, it’s a moon.

If it’s mass is not large enough to be a sphere and it’s a rough object, it’s a space object, and you can take your pick on classifying as a meteor, comet, asteroid, dickfer, etc.

Done.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In the last 20 years, technical societies have made two reprehensibly bad random decisions

1) delisting Pluto as a planet
2) removing double spacing after the period at the end of the sentence

We need to bring back tar and feathering for this.
View Quote

Someone can stop doing that if they want, but it doesn't affect me.  I will continue to do it correctly.  I wasn't aware of any "movement" to change this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Didn't astronomy start with astrology?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Amen. And while we are at it, can we get the Brontosaurus back too?
View Quote

Wait a minute! Wtf did they do to the Brontosaurus?!
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
King Flippy Nips approves
View Quote

So does Jerry from earth. He's a scientist who's making a model of our solar system.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Didn't astronomy start with astrology?
View Quote

I think it started when someone looked up and said, "I wonder what that stuff up there is."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top