User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2022 11:42:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
What’s the name/town?

Ever been to George Miller in Union City OH/IN?
I haven’t been for a number of years, but they specialize in quarter sawn white (and red) oak.  And they often have some really nice curly red oak - which ai would pick up some pieces every so often on my work trips out to IN.
Also cherry walnut ash.   I bought lots of 8/4 ash from them just after everyone started cutting it down when the emerald ass borer die off started and the stuff was being cut down like crazy.  And prices were cheap.  Used lots of it to build the top of my Roubo style workbench.  
Lots of other stuff there too, including some exotics that they probably don’t cut and dry there
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What’s the name/town?

Ever been to George Miller in Union City OH/IN?
I haven’t been for a number of years, but they specialize in quarter sawn white (and red) oak.  And they often have some really nice curly red oak - which ai would pick up some pieces every so often on my work trips out to IN.
Also cherry walnut ash.   I bought lots of 8/4 ash from them just after everyone started cutting it down when the emerald ass borer die off started and the stuff was being cut down like crazy.  And prices were cheap.  Used lots of it to build the top of my Roubo style workbench.  
Lots of other stuff there too, including some exotics that they probably don’t cut and dry there
View Quote

Almendinger Sawmill
Johnstown, Ohio
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a happy place, that's for sure.

Where I go isn't too far, but it's one of the last ones within easily a 100 mile radius that sells rough, random length and width boards that you can hand pick yourself, each and every one. They also offer milling services. Most places now offer surfaced lumber in "standard" lengths and widths, which is rarely helpful.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You should check out Wible's U-Pick Hardwoods in South Milford, IN
https://wiblesupickhardwoods.com/
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Well?, what did you get?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Are those pics of the lumber yar or is that what you came home with and squirreled away in your barn?  Either way cool pictures.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well?, what did you get?
View Quote

Some quarter sawn white oak, ash, and picked the stack for rift sawn white oak.
And a nice 8/4 piece of ambrosia maple.
Had my son’s car, so couldn’t buy much.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]
We've got a place that looks exactly like that here.

My wife won't let me go there alone.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top