Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2019 7:48:30 PM EDT
have looked into a variety of sources and have found varying info (like T Nation vs others). The differences in protein/carb/fat ratios bother me as I am so anal about this stuff. Just looking to bounce this off you.

I have been doing Phraks GSLP lifting routine for a month now (a linear progression lifting program) along with a few days of cardio and HIIT a week. I plan to switch to a 5/3/1 program in July after a vacation if I’ve deloaded a number of times on my linear program.

I am currently skinny fat at 150 lbs but I’ve also read that novice gains aren’t necessarily diet dependent as long as you’re not cutting. For this reason I am going to attempt to maintain weight at first, until eventually bulking, and know that after a month I can reevaluate weight gain or loss and change calories accordingly.

I am transitioning from Weight Watchers so this seems like a lot of food to me.

What I ended up at based on different calculators (all said about the same calories value which is 2000-2100 so I am calling it 2030 for my first month after looking at macro breakdown), is 145 G protein (29% calories) 50 g fat (22%) and 250 g carbs which seems insanely high (49%).

I am 35 yo male.

If those are right can you hear me out on the last bit? I have very regular snacking and eating habits (lunch and dinner have been unchanged for years, dinner is varied and new recipes).

I can make 117 protein 167 carbs and 35 fat from the following: breakfast (1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup milk)

1 egg white and banana morning snack

Sandwich, 3.5 oz chicken breast, 2 servings vegetables

1 egg white, banana, protein shake PM snack, 2 servings vegetables now or with dinner

That leaves 28 G protein , 83 carbs and 15 fat (600 calories) for dinner.

Most of our meals fall relatively around this ratio. Should I just target the 600 calories and figure I’ll be over or under a particular macro depending on what the meal is? For instance chicken breast and rice I’ll probably miss the carbs and fat, pasta and meat sauce likely come up short on the protein. Will this stuff work itself out over time typically and hitting the caloric number should be my dinner target?

Macro targeting at dinner has driven my wife relatively crazy for the last month and that was just hitting a calorie and protein breakdown without regards to carbs and fat.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
How tall are you?

Why were you on weight watchers .... did you recently lose a lot of weight?

I wouldn't worry at all about the macros. Your diet seems fine.
Lift heavy and bulk (thus building muscle) while you're still light, then cut if you have to and repeat.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you a girl? That doesn't seem like enough calories or weight.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
don't make it more difficult than it has to be

hit your protein and calorie goal for the day, let carbs and fat kinda fall wherever. track fiber as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you need to eat more.

You can either cut some fat first, then try to bulk, or just work hard at a bulk and then cut 10-15 lbs later when you fill out.

Despite what people like to believe, losing fat is pretty easy as a young person, just eat less and keep junk food mostly out of your diet.

If you go the bulk route make sure you add a little bit of volume and get your conditioning in after each workout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top