Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2021 9:47:49 PM EDT
Ran across this on YouTube awhile back. This is an M3 howitzer, the same type of cannon my Grandpa crewed on during WWII. It's a rarer gun than the more common M2 -- the M3 was only used by airborne troops and infantry regimental cannon companies. This is the only video I've ever seen of one being fired. Pretty neat to get a "glimpse" of what my Grandpa was doing in 1944-45 in Holland and Germany.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ran across this on YouTube awhile back. This is an M3 howitzer, the same type of cannon my Grandpa crewed on during WWII. It's a rarer gun than the more common M2 -- the M3 was only used by airborne troops and infantry regimental cannon companies. This is the only video I've ever seen of one being fired. Pretty neat to get a "glimpse" of what my Grandpa was doing in 1944-45 in Holland and Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkXYvZmTRnM

View Quote

Huh, interesting.  There is a VFW hall with a pair of those rusting away in front of it.  I stopped and checked them out a couple of months ago when I was doing some business next door to the place.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I should buy a howitzer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Huh, interesting.  There is a VFW hall with a pair of those rusting away in front of it.  I stopped and checked them out a couple of months ago when I was doing some business next door to the place.
View Quote

Where at in KY? Maybe I can find a pic of that. Been trying to track down all the ones that are on static display.

Here's a bonus pic of my Grandpa and two of his buddies with one of their howitzers during desert training in 1943 that I've posted before. He's the tall one standing at parade rest.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The 105mm was kinda fun...

Attachment Attached File

REDLEG!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top