Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2023 12:19:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GripnAK47s]
Wanted to ask for some advice. I appreciate any help.
Update post 10

Since having kids I had put on some weight. 6' 230ish - Get my blood work done annually and other than slightly high cholesterol, everything seems ok. Im active outdoors almost daily weather permitting.

Decided to drop some weight / flab ...  get myself into some kind of shape again. To preface, I was pretty much eating whatever I wanted... including desert after dinner every single night. Late night junk etc etc.  

First I cut out all sodas, candies, deserts. Then started eating cleaner, no more fast food.

Pretty much eat the same thing everyday now. Coffee 2 eggs and 2 bacon breakfast. Basic ranch salad with grilled chicken and an orange for lunch. "normal" dinners such as tacos, or chicken wraps or burgers etc. If I crave sugar anytime in the day I have a peanut butter banana ice blend shake.

The weight is literally dropping off me.....got on the scale yesterday naked at 195. I haven't even been doing this that long, 4-6 weeks or so.

Fast forward to this morning. My arms feel asleep, painful, pins....my head feels like its full of water and im disoriented/nausea. For whatever reason I thought low blood sugar....rushed home and took a spoonful of honey. 15 minutes later I feel pretty much normal.

Really wild feeling and was kinda scary at first! So im here to ask for advice on how to proceed. Do I just need to make sure have honey in my coffee in the morning? Dont really have anyone to talk to about this, I know its alot to ask. Thanks guys.

Edit: I dont want to sound like a smart a** , but I do know the best thing is to speak to a doctor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 12:33:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#1]
My wife has diabetes. Apple juice works well when she gets low. Other fruit juice’s work as well. Juice seems to work faster than foods. She also keeps starburst in her purse.

Definitely get in to see your doctor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You have cut back most of the bad stuff your body is used to being feed daily.   The new way your eating has your body scraping around for the old ways.    The body is gonna take a few months to adapt to the new changes in the eating process you have now begun.  Remember it is a lifestyle change that you are doing now.   And the old eating habit has not been changed in your body.    Depending on movement and exercise you may have to increase certain amounts to train the body to accept the new diet and changes in weight and muscle.   This is where the doctors come in to advise what is needed go forward.  I went through the same thing during my journey and the body will adapt sooner than expected.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help, it does make sense.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#4]
Buy a blood sugar tester.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GripnAK47s:

Since having kids I had put on some weight. 6' 230ish - Get my blood work done annually and other than slightly high cholesterol, everything seems ok. Im active outdoors almost daily weather permitting.

Decided to drop some weight / flab ...  get myself into some kind of shape again. To preface, I was pretty much eating whatever I wanted... including desert after dinner every single night. Late night junk etc etc.  

First I cut out all sodas, candies, deserts. Then started eating cleaner, no more fast food.

Pretty much eat the same thing everyday now. Coffee 2 eggs and 2 bacon breakfast. Basic ranch salad with grilled chicken and an orange for lunch. "normal" dinners such as tacos, or chicken wraps or burgers etc. If I crave sugar anytime in the day I have a peanut butter banana ice blend shake.

The weight is literally dropping off me.....got on the scale yesterday naked at 195. I haven't even been doing this that long, 4-6 weeks or so.

Fast forward to this morning. My arms feel asleep, painful, pins....my head feels like its full of water and im disoriented/nausea. For whatever reason I thought low blood sugar....rushed home and took a spoonful of honey. 15 minutes later I feel pretty much normal.

Really wild feeling and was kinda scary at first! So im here to ask for advice on how to proceed. Do I just need to make sure have honey in my coffee in the morning? Dont really have anyone to talk to about this, I know its alot to ask. Thanks guys.

Edit: I dont want to sound like a smart a** , but I do know the best thing is to speak to a doctor.
View Quote

See if your insurance will cover a product like a Dexcom G6 I will show your blood sugar in real time I’ve been using one and it works great unfortunately mines usually high but if you want to stabilize her blood sugar get some really good local honey and take a teaspoon of it occasionally throughout the day and it all stabilize your blood sugar or get some glucose tablets and keep them handy for when your blood sugar drops my Dexcom G6 well actually wake me up at night with an alarm if my blood sugar drops too low and tells me to take a glucose tablet or drink juice
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GripnAK47s:

View Quote

See if your insurance will cover a product like a Dexcom G6 I will show your blood sugar in real time I’ve been using one and it works great unfortunately mines usually high but if you want to stabilize her blood sugar get some really good local honey and take a teaspoon of it occasionally throughout the day and it all stabilize your blood sugar or get some glucose tablets and keep them handy for when your blood sugar drops my Dexcom G6 well actually wake me up at night with an alarm if my blood sugar drops too low and tells me to take a glucose tablet or drink juice
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:
Buy a blood sugar tester.
View Quote

This or get a full blood test done.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Dexcom G7 has a free 10 day trial, just need to go online to request it. Make sure to eat something with protein and fat before bed. Think Greek yogurt, cottage cheese or ham slices with a cheese stick. And talk to your doc. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 5:29:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#9]
You might have kicked yourself into ketosis, it can make you feel pretty shitty if you aren't used to it.

How's your sleep schedule?

If I start to fall behind on my sleep I start to get dizzy, disoriented, and generally in some pain in the joints.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Well guys crazy ass update. Just got out from 2 nights in the hospital.

That night it happened again my arms felt so tired and sore real bad, then came the chest pains. Went into the emergency room and the they said ekg shows im having a heart attack.  This was pretty wild to me as im in pretty good shape, active and "young".

It was about 12am raining and had to take a pretty terrifying 35min ambulance ride to the city hospital.

Got there and they went in thru my wrist to see my heart. Turned out to be what is called "SCAD"

Long story short: Probably gonna butcher this, but basically nothing I did...could just be genetic (no family history) A small tear in one main tube closed it off a little causing the problem. The wild thing is, I guess there 2 tubes that happens... and they call the other the "widow maker"

My heart was around 40% and 60-65% is more where it needed to be. Pretty rough couple days, but got out last night with my heart back to 65%. Just gotta take it easy a bit and ill be back to business.

Make sure you tell your loved ones today, what they mean to you....because any moment could be your last and it could really be nobody's fault. Thats life!

This thread was complete wrong fluke, but I do appreciate you guys coming out to help a nobody from no where.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#11]
DAMN DUDE!

Glad you survived. (Glad you had insurance and made yourself go to the hospital!)

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for sharing.

It helps to read stories/anecdotes like this so I can be prepared in the event something similar happens to me.

We're not getting any younger.  And while I'm healthy as I can be now, I wasn't always and I figure my past will come back to haunt me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Great catch!  

Damn, a jar of honey wouldn’t have helped that one!

I have to watch my blood sugar too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad you're o'k and wish you a speedy and full recovery.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rob78:
Thanks for sharing.

It helps to read stories/anecdotes like this so I can be prepared in the event something similar happens to me.

We're not getting any younger.  And while I'm healthy as I can be now, I wasn't always and I figure my past will come back to haunt me.
View Quote

Yea I drank pretty hardcore for about 6 years and ate not healthy at all until 2.5 years ago or so.  Everything seems good as far as bloodwork etc but I always wonder if I have plaque built up in my blood vessels etc that are going to haunt me later.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RandyBroshankle] [#16]
Went through the same thing.

It's fairly normal if you drop weight quick.

Minus your heart issue.

lol
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Guess it wasn't low blood sugar then.

Glad you got fixed up.

I really should go in for a calcium scan. A guy I know had a heart attack in the spring after a month or two of feeling like total dog shit. Could have killed him.

All the warning signs were there, he ignored them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top