Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2023 9:48:18 PM EDT
Cross posted in LA hometown. Posted here on advice:

My son has been accepted to LSU but is concerned with the cost. He spoke with a recruiter when he visited the campus and is now considering joining the Guard to offset the cost. He will be an engineering major.

My wife and I have a ton of questions and no one to ask other than a recruiter.

How much will the guard actually cover of his schooling? What is the real time commitment to the guard? Is it one weekend a month and two weeks a year? How many years after college would he commit to? What type of deployments will he be looking at? I’d assume he’d be sent to areas hit by hurricanes but what about actual combat?

Can anyone provide any information? As much as you could provide would be awesome. Thanks. We’re going to contact the recruiter he spoke to on campus but would like to hear from someone who’s BTDT and not have a vested interest in getting him to sign the dotted line.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking SMP?

That's a good deal for the cadet, not really great for the unit.

Also, the National Guard, and "state guard" are not the same thing. If he goes SMP in Louisiana, make sure he gets a good unit. The National Guard down south is problematic due to their recruiting demographics.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
He emailed the recruiter and it’s National Guard. He was told he gets the benefits of the state he is in, Louisiana. We’re going to investigate further and talk more with the recruiter.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The LAARNG's 256th IBCT is something of a trash unit.  Discipline problems galore.  I last encountered them during their 2019??? JRTC rotation.  Not a fan.  That is not saying the entire organization and its people are bad.  It is also pretty easy to do the right thing and avoid said discipline issues.  

Since 2000, they have had units in Iraq/Syria and also on the TX border.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FDC:
The LAARNG's 256th IBCT is something of a trash unit.  Discipline problems galore.  I last encountered them during their 2019??? JRTC rotation.  Not a fan.  That is not saying the entire organization and its people are bad.  It is also pretty easy to do the right thing and avoid said discipline issues.  

Since 2000, they have had units in Iraq/Syria and also on the TX border.  

View Quote

Ha I was in a unit training at Ft. Devens and we couldn’t shit out of the supply system there like the basics, mattresses and linens.  They wouldn’t budge until they figured out we were from upstate NY not the NYC hooligans of the 42nd rainbow division.  Once that was cleared up they went on a bitch fest about the NYC units wrecking and stealing everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top