Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2023 10:47:03 PM EDT
I’m about 2 hours in and thinking of returning it.  I generally like all his stuff but he’s really dumping some turds the last few years.

I sense some woke culture working its way in now too.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a fan of how he ended Wheel of time... at all...
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
All his books suck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I returned it.

I liked the first three books of mistborn quite a bit, but the more modern era has been my least favorites.

I didnt read any of the wheel of tome and most likely wont after watching season 1.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:
I returned it.

I liked the first three books of mistborn quite a bit, but the more modern era has been my least favorites.

I didnt read any of the wheel of tome and most likely wont after watching season 1.
View Quote

Wheel of time is fine.. great books.. well worth the read. I just dont like the last 50 or so pages of his ending it after Robert Jordan passed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:51:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: markfall] [#5]
Wheel of time was one of the most derivative, thoughtless books I've ever read. Honestly don't understand how people enjoy that guy's stuff.

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:58:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#6]
Originally Posted By Kits4:
All his books suck.
View Quote

Disagree. Vehemently.
I returned it.

View Quote

It’s totally different than Mistborn. It’s on the same planet and some of the magic remains, but it’s great. They felt like pulp westerns with magic. I love Wax and Wayne. As far as “woke working it way in”, I do feel he embraces some culture some, but not to the detriment of his writing and definitely not in Wax and Wayne novels.

ETA: WOT books aren’t very much like WOT show at all. For instance, the lesbian witches in the show aren’t lesbian characters at all in the book and the fact that they aren’t is a big plot point (one falls in love with the main general).  

Nynaeve tugs her braid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I returned it.

View Quote
Did you read the first 3 in this series? Just wondering what you thought of those. I read the original Mistborn and really liked it, but didn't like this series as much. It wasn't bad just not as good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes i did, I thought they were all weak compared to the original trilogy.  There were maybe one or two good moments per book but each got progressively worse.

Ill say the same about the stormlight series.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wvar15:
Did you read the first 3 in this series? Just wondering what you thought of those. I read the original Mistborn and really liked it, but didn't like this series as much. It wasn't bad just not as good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I returned it.

Honestly, I didn’t like the Wax/Wayne first read/first listen nearly as much (I’m an avid audible user) as Mistborn. Now? I think I like Wax and Wayne just as much or better than Vin Era Mistborn.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I absolutely love everything Sanderson has done, I prefer the Vin era books, but I like Wax and Wayne too. He's amazing at tying plot points together. The newest Stormlight books I thought were great too...not sure what everyone is expecting lol.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
I absolutely love everything Sanderson has done, I prefer the Vin era books, but I like Wax and Wayne too. He's amazing at tying plot points together. The newest Stormlight books I thought were great too...not sure what everyone is expecting lol.
View Quote
I'm a big fan of the Stormlight series also. I recently read his first book which he wrote in a college writing club. It's not his best by far, but for a first book I thought it was great.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BDA:
Not a fan of how he ended Wheel of time... at all...
View Quote

I really, really need to revisit my 1st print Hardcover editions of WoT.

I swear they re edited the Kindle series (yes, I double dipped on both the Hardcover prints, AND the series on Kindle. I find it WAY easier to read the Kindle version on a/my smartphone, than the big books, especially since I read them a few chapters at a time mostly at night in bed, mostly. Tried several clip on book lights, and the books were large enough that they were a PITA. Smartphone, black background and white letters = easily legible with no lights on, to not disturb the SO).

I recently reread the whole series on Kindle (when I reached the, "Screw this BS" point, after forcing myself to watch the first few episodes of the woke Amazon BS, hoping it would get better). There's material I don't remember at all in the original Sanderson releases.

When I first read the series, my thoughts were that Sanderson's writing style was noticeably different than RJ's (and noticeably less polished),  AND the last 3 books, ESPECIALLY the final battles, felt really rushed, just to conclude the series.

Rereading the Kindle edition last year, I encountered not just paragraphs, but whole sections in the last books that I don't recall reading before. Maybe I'm just getting old, and dementia and forgetfulness is setting in. Rereading the actual hardcover books should confirm one or the other.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 2:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#13]
I returned it.

View Quote

Wait... you can return books after reading, if you don't like them? Huh... that never even occurred to me before.

Makes me wonder if there are folks who abuse it, and use it like a library? Do they bother flagging someone if they realize that the person has returned almost every book they've bought?

I can certainly understand folks wanting a refund over recent crap like Amazon, and/or publishing houses ninja editing books from the original versions, over PC/Woke BS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The return program is regulated and changes frequently and is hard to find, im sure it gets abused.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a big fan of the Stormlight series also. I recently read his first book which he wrote in a college writing club. It's not his best by far, but for a first book I thought it was great.
View All Quotes

Elantris? Yeah not my favorite either, but IMO it's still better than a LOT of other stuff out there. I thought it was a cool premise.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Elantris? Yeah not my favorite either, but IMO it's still better than a LOT of other stuff out there. I thought it was a cool premise.
View Quote
Yeah Elantris. For a first book I thought it was really good
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:01:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#17]
View All Quotes

Is it the original version of The Way Of Kings? Because I thought it was pretty good.

Edit: Elantris. Yeah, different but good.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Mistborn Era 2, is my least favorite Cosmere series.  I liked Wax and Wayne as characters, I just didn't buy the setting.  The wild west thing seemed forced.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought Mistborn was one of the best books I have ever read.  The Way of Kings was painfully difficult to get through.  In fact I stopped reading it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bandhunter:
I thought Mistborn was one of the best books I have ever read.  The Way of Kings was painfully difficult to get through.  In fact I stopped reading it.
View Quote

same here. first book of WOKs was pretty good, the second was complete garbage. so bad i wrote off Sanderson altogether
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:50:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChickenDaddy] [#21]
WOK has not gotten better, but Mistborn era 2 is the only Sanderson I quit reading.

Well, I’m also not going to delve any further into white sands after the 2nd book.

I’m really enjoying Cytonic series and wish it would have been left as part of the Cosmere.

His shorter stuff has been appealing to me the last five years—the Hel story, fifth of the dusk, etc.  actually Fifth of the Dusk has become my favorite short story of all time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I was the opposite. I really enjoyed the WoK and am flying through Words of Radiance right now.

Sanderson has a style I've noticed in the Stormlight series where he has a lot of different plots building and tons of world building which can kind of be slow at times but then you'll get 2-3 chapters (usually towards the end of one of the books before the interludes or before the end of the entire book) where everything comes together very fast. I find his payoffs are really rewarding and 2/3 the way through book 2, I'm fully invested in the series.

I enjoyed Vin-era Mistborn. I'll have to revisit Mistborn era 2 later as I didn't get entralled by it enough and wanted to start the Stormlight Archive anyways.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top