Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2022 12:47:22 PM EDT
I'm retired and draw only small amounts of cash out of my investments.

I have some recently inherited accounts that have Stepped-up basis that currently show losses.

I also have some long held accounts that have taken hits recently but still have good long term gains.

Would it be Tax Smart to sell some long term winners and also short term losers to offset capital gains?

I would probably leave the proceeds in the accounts and re-invest when I think we have bottomed out (or just past the inflection point).
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
timing the market is usually a losing game

But you could sell your down stocks to capture the loss to offset the sales that have gains then immediately buy the stock back essentially resetting the stock to that price with the left over amount
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But you could sell your down stocks to capture the loss to offset the sales that have gains then immediately buy the stock back essentially resetting the stock to that price with the left over amount
View Quote

Isn't that a "wash sale"?  Would that work to reset the basis'?
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
yes 30 days is a wash sale limit, plenty of ways to game that.  buy a similar stock or fund holding the stock that was your original stock or just wait out the 30 days or just take the comment of immediately buy back in the stock to mean after the 30 days have run
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wash sale is 61 days - 30 before and after the date of the sale.  Also to the OP, the answer to your question depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  Do you have other investments that you would like to get into but no funds?  In that case selling for a loss to free up and use that cash makes sense.   Do you have an unusually high tax liability in this year?  If so, tax loss selling is one tool to mitigate that.  In other words I wouldn't make trades just for the sake of making them, if selling something will put you in a better position, as can be measured any number of ways, the I would consider doing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top