Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2021 7:52:18 PM EDT
I've got a 2011 Toyota Tacoma. Original owner.   4 door, long bed, all stock except front and rear bumpers and the rails.  144K miles.

I'm still sporting the original shocks and looking to upgrade. The last two years this truck drove a lot of miles with the bed full of gravel/landscaping rocks/ etc.   I won't do much more hauling of stuff for landscaping but would like to make this a nice camping rig.

Time to replace the factory gear and upgrade.

I don't really off-road in this.  Mostly forest service roads and logging trails and such but I'd like to upgrade to handle.

Any recommendations for new shocks etc.?  Maybe add a leaf in the rear?

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
For what you do with it, Old Man Emu (OME) with a Dakar leaf pack won’t set you back much and are good quality.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a local leaf spring shop and have them make you a custom pack. If you by old man emu Dakar there going to give you a 3 inch left do you want that?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Just my 2c…

05-20 oem off-road suspension is interchangeable.

I got a super deal on front coils, $200 shipped with 100 miles on them.

People take these off all the time to get aftermarket, I’ve seen them give up the front coils  and rear leafs for less than $200.

Just an option and it will provide your truck with a 2” factory lift. You won’t have to change any other components to make it work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find a local leaf spring shop and have them make you a custom pack. If you by old man emu Dakar there going to give you a 3 inch left do you want that?
View Quote

The light duty springs actually end up closer to 1.25 vs 1.75” claimed. A buddies mom bought a used truck with a saggy rear and it turned out just fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Prefer not to get a lift that high.  Good point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty sure the leafs had a recall.  Are they original or were they replaced at some point?  I would just get a set Bilstein 5100’s and call it a day.  If you are on the fence about keeping the truck and want to stay on the cheaper side, I would just get the KYB struts and shocks with replacement coil springs for the front.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just my 2c…

05-20 oem off-road suspension is interchangeable.

I got a super deal on front coils, $200 shipped with 100 miles on them.

People take these off all the time to get aftermarket, I’ve seen them give up the front coils  and rear leafs for less than $200.

Just an option and it will provide your truck with a 2” factory lift. You won’t have to change any other components to make it work.
View Quote

Spot on . Where did you locate these ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our logging roads definitely...
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Thread relevant to my interests as well.  

OP - I’ve been looking at Billstein 5100s as adjustable from 0-2.5” lift so can keep stock height.  Still researching so unfortunately no first hand experience.  For reference have 2004 Tacoma.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote

I agree! With maybe a set of air bags if you decide to haul something.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I did the OME kit from Wheeler’s Off Road. My 1999 suffered from the bad rear leaf springs as well. Coils Dakar leafs and shocks. You will need a new extended brake line as well. 3 inch lift. They did offer an extra spring option if you carry heavy loads. I didn’t opt for that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Finished product
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Bilstein 5100 for slightly above stock upgrade most budget friendly
Bilstein 6112/5160 for big improvement 2.5” shocks but still budget friendly
Old man emu nitro charger sport shocks. Pretty good deal but I like the Bilsteins personally.

Old Man Emu Dakar leaf packs
Icon leaf pack
Deaver leaf pack

You mentioned add a leafs.
Icon AAL
Headstrong AAL

If you want to go all out. There is plenty of top name brands that will cost thousands

Kings/Fox/Icon/Elka/ADS/Radflo/OME BP51/Bilstein 8100/8112/etc

My buddies Gen3 Taco on BP51/Dakar leafs and mine on Bilstein 5100/icon AAL. I’m upgrading soon. Since I’ve added a lot of weight to the truck.
Attachment Attached File

If you call headstrong off road or Accutune off-road. Tell them what you want to do with the truck and your price range they will help you out. Both are super friendly and want to help.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I wanted a mild lift for my 3rd Gen, so I mixed and matched a little to get what I wanted.  Went with Rouch Country 2” coils in the front, Supreme Suspension 1.5” AAL in the rear, and Rough Country rear shocks to match the lift. I’ve been pretty happy with it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Just go ahead and get Kings. You're gonna end up there eventually anyway
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bilstein 5100 for slightly above stock upgrade most budget friendly
Bilstein 6112/5160 for big improvement 2.5” shocks but still budget friendly
Old man emu nitro charger sport shocks. Pretty good deal but I like the Bilsteins personally.

Old Man Emu Dakar leaf packs
Icon leaf pack
Deaver leaf pack

You mentioned add a leafs.
Icon AAL
Headstrong AAL

If you want to go all out. There is plenty of top name brands that will cost thousands

Kings/Fox/Icon/Elka/ADS/Radflo/OME BP51/Bilstein 8100/8112/etc

My buddies Gen3 Taco on BP51/Dakar leafs and mine on Bilstein 5100/icon AAL. I’m upgrading soon. Since I’ve added a lot of weight to the truck.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/6F33D241-94B3-4EFD-8E5A-2908C05E9932_jpe-2180437.JPG

If you call headstrong off road or Accutune off-road. Tell them what you want to do with the truck and your price range they will help you out. Both are super friendly and want to help.
View Quote

Upgrades happened

OME BP51
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top