Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2021 5:15:30 PM EDT
As the title says, I’m looking for a good historical fiction book.  Just curious if anyone has any recommendations.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As the title says, I’m looking for a good historical fiction book.  Just curious if anyone has any recommendations.
View Quote

I have always enjoyed the Hornblower series.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]
QB VII by Leon Uris
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll never pass up an opportunity for most Ken Follett especially his WWII stuff and I personally enjoyed his Kingsbridge and Century Series.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Edward Rutherford.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The Frontiersmen

Jack Hinson's One Man War
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Gentle Propositions.  The author is a member.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll never pass up an opportunity for most Ken Follett especially his WWII stuff and I personally enjoyed his Kingsbridge and Century Series.
View Quote

Have you read “ On Wings of Eagles”? It’s non fiction but it reads as good as his fiction.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Totally, either the summer of '84 or '85 that poor book got its pages read blank by 11/12yr old me. Helped fill the afternoons when Aug west TX was blistering while spending the summer with grandparents.

Reply fail, but f it it's Tuesday....
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, these all look like great options!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Frontiersmen

Jack Hinson's One Man War
View Quote

I’ll second The Frontiersmen and recommend Jeff Shaara’s books, especially the 3 parter civil war series: Gods and Generals, Killer Angels (written by his dad) and the Last Full Measure.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell on the Napoleonic war.

ETA    Chronological order  https://www.thoughtco.com/the-sharpe-books-in-chronological-order-1221110
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Seconds on the Richard Sharpe series. I've read through it 2X, my absolute favorite books.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]
The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie was a good one.

ETA: Oh, and try Blood Meridian.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#14]
The Brotherhood of War series by W.E.B. Griffin
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Matterhorn.

Though after listening to Marlantes' interviews and reading his other works, I presume that the "fiction" designation seemed like a legal maneuver. IE there is at least one personal recollection from his tour given during PBSs Vietnam series that appeared in the above book.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:20:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell on the Napoleonic war.
View Quote

I will have to try the Sharpe series, I loved both The Warlords Chronicles and The Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The Winter King, Excalibur, and Enemy of God by Bernard Cornwell.  The King Arthur story set in post-Roman Britain where it belongs, complete with lice and a high infant mortality rate.

ETA someone beat me to it.  Damn good books.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Men with Green Faces.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Hornblower, Sharpe, WEB Griffin as mentioned.

Partrick O'Brian novels. (Master and Commander movie was adapted from these)

Steven Pressfield novels.

Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian and Border Trilogy.

Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle

Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem.  Romans on the German frontier, this is on my top 10 books ever.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Siege, A Novel of the Eastern Front 1942 by Russ Schneider.  Germans surviving on the eastern front.  Another of my top 10 ever.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Casca the Eternal Mercenary series.

ETA,
I also like an author named Harry Turtledove, he writes some very interesting alternate semi historical stories.
Try "Guns of the South", a civil war story with a heck of a twist.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
"Gilgamesh: the King" by Robert Silverberg.  A cognizant retelling of the Gilgamesh Epic in novel form.

I have read it...I dunno...50 times?
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Ridgeline by Punke
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I , also would second W.E.B. Griffin. Some of the best series I've read.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree K. F has some great stuff! I read the Saboteur by Andrew Gross and it was probably my fav WW2 historical fiction book to date.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Brotherhood of War series by W.E.B. Griffin
View Quote

This. Or The Corps, anything by Griffin is entertaining.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Lonesome dove series.     The order of release is different than the story itself and I read lonesome dove first and then realized there was a book prior to it but written after.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Conn Iggulden has a Mongol series (Conqueror series), a Roman series (Emperor), a medieval series (Wars of the Roses), and a Greco-Persian wars "series". The latter is not technically a "named" series, but the books cover Marathon, Thermopylae/Artemisium, Salamis, Plataea, the Peloponnesian War, and Cunaxa/The Anabasis.
Bernard Cornwell's series (Arthur, Saxon/Uhtred, and Sharpe books) have already been mentioned, and are excellent reads. I'll add his Archer/Grail quest series (English bowmen and Crecy), as well as 1356 (Poitiers) and Agincourt. While not fiction, Cornwell's "Waterloo" reads as easily as any of his novelizations, and is a great book on the battle.
The ultimate historical fiction series, however, is Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series. In that Age of Sail genre, Julian Stockwin's "Kydd" series is fairly good, "Hornblower" is quite good, but Master and Commander is far and away superior, IMO.
C.S. Forester is typically linked with the Horatio Hornblower books, but he also wrote some excellent stand-alone historical fiction: "Rifleman Dodd" (Napoleonic guerilla war in Spain), "A Pawn Among Kings" (Napoleon's invasion of Russia), "The Ship" (WW2 Mediterranean Royal Navy), "The Good Shepherd" (aka "Greyhound").  
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#29]
The Flashman Papers is a good read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Flashman
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top