Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2022 6:21:16 PM EDT
I finally have my crust the way I like it but now I need a good pizza sauce to up my game. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a can (28oz) or two of Rega or Flora DOP San Marzano tomatoes and put it in your blender juice and all with a tablespoon of sea salt (per can) and pulse it until the tomatoes are just broken up. Don’t over do it. 3 quick pulses does the job for one can.
That’s your sauce. It’ll cook on the pie.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife buys..whatever brand. It's not terrible, but I make it great.

I smoke a beef roast (chuck is perfect) and make a sort of braciole w/ it. Drop those rolls into the sauce, sometimes I'll add 2 slices of bacon, and let it simmer for at least an hour. You can jazz the sauce a bit more, if needed.

Eat the meat w/ some fresh pasta. The rest of the sauce is used for homemade pizza (over coals in the Kamado) w/ fresh, homemade, mozzarella. Spettacolare!
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a can (28oz) or two of Rega or Flora DOP San Marzano tomatoes and put it in your blender juice and all with a tablespoon of sea salt (per can) and pulse it until the tomatoes are just broken up. Don’t over do it. 3 quick pulses does the job for one can.
View Quote

I like the simplicity, and will be watching for that brand of tomatoes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any brand of genuine San Marzano tomatoes from Italy bearing the DOP will do. Those two brands in my post are readily available in my AO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
While just tomatoes and salt are good, I like to simmer a couple cloves of garlic, crushed red pepper and oregano in olive oil, then put that mixture, a 28oz can of whole tomatoes,  and some salt in a blender. Blitz it down to whatever consistency you like, then back in the pot to simmer for a bit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I love the flavor and texture of 6 in 1 canned tomato sauce, it is great plain, or with garlic, oregano, basil or salt added. Excellent.

Stanislaus Full Red is also very good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I’m going to try to get some DOP tomatoes. I think most of my sauce problems are due to the lack of flavor in the base tomato sauce. I know the store bought tomatoes available here are flavorless compared to the ones from the garden. The same flavorless tomatoes are probably used in the sauce I have been getting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#8]
1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive  oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 medium cloves garlic, grated on microplane grater (about 2 teaspoons)
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
pinch red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
2 (6-inch) sprigs fresh basil with leaves attached
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and split in half or ½ onion plus ? tsp of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Pulse tomatoes in food processor until pureed, or puree with hand blender. Puree should not be completely smooth, but should have no chunks larger than 1/16 of an inch. Set tomatoes aside.
Combine butter and oil in medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and large pinch salt and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil sprigs, onion halves, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting (bubbles should barely be breaking the surface), and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/2, about 1 hour. Discard onions and basil stems. Season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

This is my basic sauce. Now in the winter I use dried basil. In the summer I use fresh tomatoes from the garden and do a par boil/remove skin.  I use this sauce for every thing calling for a red sauce.
Also I like powder cayenne pepper in place of red pepper flakes and omit the sugar. Tweek it to your liking.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks passgas55, I’ll give it a go as soon as I get some quality tomatoes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:02:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1 tablespoon olive  oil
pinch red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and split in half or ½ onion plus ? tsp of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Pulse tomatoes in food processor until pureed, or puree with hand blender. Puree should not be completely smooth, but should have no chunks larger than 1/16 of an inch. Set tomatoes aside.
Combine butter and oil in medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and large pinch salt and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil sprigs, onion halves, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting (bubbles should barely be breaking the surface), and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/2, about 1 hour. Discard onions and basil stems. Season to taste with salt. Allow to cool and store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

This is my basic sauce. Now in the winter I use dried basil. In the summer I use fresh tomatoes from the garden and do a par boil/remove skin.  I use this sauce for every thing calling for a red sauce.
Also I like powder cayenne pepper in place of red pepper flakes and omit the sugar. Tweek it to your liking.
View Quote

I'm going to second this. Its pretty close to what I do as well. I add a little marjoram if i have it.

but as said, the tomatoes really matter, IMO. Find you some real deal DOPs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1 tablespoon olive  oil
pinch red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and split in half or  onion plus  tsp of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar

View Quote

I do something very similar.  it's stupid easy and makes great sauce.  I make big batches and freeze some for another day when I do it.  

San Marzano peeled tomatos
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do something very similar.  it's stupid easy and makes great sauce.  I make big batches and freeze some for another day when I do it.  

View Quote

Cento lawsuit
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
huh, learned something today.  I have a few cans left (and they seemed fine to me) but maybe I'll try to find the legit ones next time.  thanks for the info ElrodCod
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The San Marzanos I grew last year put out a ton. So I have my own canned San Marzano sauce. For a pint jar of sauce I add 1/2 tsp of: black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper and 1 tsp basil. We also dehydrated some tomatoes and made a powder, if the sauce is a little runny I throw some of that in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Best pre-made I've ever had is Don Pepino.

Don Pepino
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I stopped using pizza sauce and instead just run a couple Roma tomatoes through the mandoline and spread them out in a single layer on the dough, then season w salt, pepper, oregano, chili flake and a little drizzle of olive oil before adding my cheese and whatever else.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#17]
3 tbls extra virgin olive oil
1 tbls garlic puree
28 oz can Cento San Marzano tomatoes hand crushed (best I have tried)
2 tbls dried oregano
1/8 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 large pinch baking soda
Salt to taste

Saute garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes, add tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Add oregano, fish sauce soy sauce and sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in pinch of baking soda. Salt to taste.

Link Posted: 3/18/2022 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cento lawsuit

Interesting.

My wife is from south Italy and really likes Cento.  Another one we like is the Kirkland Organic canned tomatoes.  For some reason the flavor is similar.

We have also grown our San Marzano tomatoes and canned them.  The flavor is amazing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top