Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2021 10:12:38 AM EDT
Going in on a group gift for a Bourbon drinker.  I'm more of a scotch guy myself.

5 guys are throwing in $50 each.  What should we get?  Recipient likes just about anything, Four Roses is one of his favs.  One really nice bottle? Two nice bottles?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I received some Weller 12 for my birthday, you could find two bottles of that for your budget. Problem will be finding it as it will be any good bourbon unless you have an inside somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#2]
$250 buys A LOT of really good bourbon. No joke, I’ve spent a small fortune on bottles but my go-tos are all $50 or less a bottle and will last me several weeks of sipping. I’ve spent $100 on bottles like Calumet and while good, it isn’t worth the premium.

The one exception was an Evan Williams 23 year that was intended for the Japanese market. Heaven Hills had overrun bottles for $400 each at the distillery back several years ago and it was incredible. The opportunity for that batch is long gone.

Four Roses single barrel is usually great. I like Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. I’m also a fan of 1776, Bib and Tucker 6 and 12 year and New Riff. I could go on and on.

ETA: I’m by no means a Sommolier.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#4]
A great bourbon is Breckenridge Rum Cask.... one of our favorites. It will run about $60 a bottle. Another one we recently discovered is 1792. Being that your friend likes Four Roses, the two mentioned will be in his wheel house.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Garrison Brothers Cowboy or Balmorhea
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
For $100-$150 I'm enjoying a bottle of Old Pogue.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Going in on a group gift for a Bourbon drinker.  I'm more of a scotch guy myself.

5 guys are throwing in $50 each.  What should we get?  Recipient likes just about anything, Four Roses is one of his favs.  One really nice bottle? Two nice bottles?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Spend $50 of the entire total on a bottle of Laphroaig and open their eyes to real whisky.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Just bourbon or would you consider Irish Whiskies as well?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Garrison Brothers Cowboy or Balmorhea
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
For that money...  I'd grab a bottle of Stagg jr and Angels envy rye
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet spot for bourbon is ~30-80$.  Anything under is usually too young and not good and anything over is just overpriced.  Yes there are exceptions but in general I have found this to be true.  As a bourbon lover I would be much happier with a number of bottles rather than just one unless that was one of the Pappy Van Winkle expressions.

So I would recommend a number of bottles in the range above.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I received some Weller 12 for my birthday, you could find two bottles of that for your budget. Problem will be finding it as it will be any good bourbon unless you have an inside somewhere.
View Quote

The only bottle of it I’ve seen on a shelf was marked something like $325. Where are you getting it for so cheap?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Pappy 23 year old is in that price range (at MSRP).

Problem is at that price point, all of those bourbons are hard to find and typically only available at inflated secondary prices.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Problem is at that price point, all of those bourbons are hard to find and typically only available at inflated secondary prices.
View Quote

Lol. MSRP doesn’t exist for the OP who doesn’t have connections like that.

Pappy 23 goes for about $5000 now.

I would see if you could score a four Roses limited edition which should be close to your price range if you can find one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would see if you could score a four Roses limited edition which should be close to your price range if you can find one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can, depends depends on his state and location.  I bought 3 bottles of pappy 23 for $230 back when I lived in Kentucky (a long time ago though ).  This spring I picked up some George T Stagg for msrp through utah's dabc lottery system.

More to the point (and the purpose of my post) is that any bourbon in the $250 price point is going to be very hard to find to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$250 buys A LOT of really good bourbon. No joke, I’ve spent a small fortune on bottles but my go-tos are all $50 or less a bottle and will last me several weeks of sipping. I’ve spent $100 on bottles like Calumet and while good, it isn’t worth the premium.

The one exception was an Evan Williams 23 year that was intended for the Japanese market. Heaven Hills had overrun bottles for $400 each at the distillery back several years ago and it was incredible. The opportunity for that batch is long gone.

Four Roses single barrel is usually great. I like Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. I’m also a fan of 1776, Bib and Tucker 6 and 12 year and New Riff. I could go on and on.

ETA: I’m by no means a Sommolier.
View Quote

Username checks out
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Jim Beam black
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#19]
If he likes 4 roses, a bottle of Single barrel, Small batch select and stupid hard to find this year's limited edition.  Also worth considering, Stagg Jr., Booker's, Baker's 107, etc.  There are hundreds of "good" bourbons out there and you could easily pick up a couple bottles that are relatively easy to find.  Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, Old Forester 1920 prohibition, Knob Creek has several expressions, Elijah Craig Barrel proof or toasted barrel.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Blanton's and Whistle Pig (Its a rye)    Noah's Mill

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top