Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2019 10:29:25 AM EDT
Good morning. I wanted to share my experience I had training for a 26.2 mile ruck march.

In January I stopped lifting weights to focus on ruck training. I did stairmaster, swimming, biking, running, and rucking.
Rucking sessions were 2-3 hours in length, 1 time a week.
I also did a high fat / low carb diet during this time to lose some weight.
Well, my ruck march went really well, but then I went back to the gym for weights.

The strength loss was shocking.
My Bench press is probably down 50 lbs. I think my squat is down 80 lbs.
This is from about 3 months off of weights.  The diet probably had something to do with it as well.
You can do low carb + strength training and you don't lose too much strength. You can't do low carb + cardio and maintain strength.

Which is why, if you want to run a marathon, strength goals aren't conducive to a fast marathon. And if you want to be strong, don't do lengthy cardio.
I'm guessing MOST of you know this already, but it was informative for me to see such drastic effects.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#1]
A coworker left my employer to sell "muscle food supplements." He was a good walking display of what it could do. His super is a cardio guy and the biggest running joke in the office is the "beach muscle" vs "endurance" ego contest.

He notes that anytime something heavy needs to be done, "beach muscle" gets the job. Meaning, him. He also notes his workouts are about half the time during the week as the other guy.

And rubs that in.

Brings up, with the NEW Army APFT, are we moving to more muscle?
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Please put your approximate age in this so data is useful to us old farts (mid 40's).
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, your results are not surprising at all.

On the plus side, if you get back into lifting quickly you should gain back your strength a lot faster than it originally took to acquire it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
...typically you maintain one and focus on the other...

Wanna gain strength? Minimalist condition needed to maintain suitable level.

Wanna gain endurance? Minimalist strength routine focused on keeping strength whilst you hammer the conditioning.

Or maybe I’m just crazy
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Your mission should determine your training.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
If you had kept lifting, even just once a week, your strength loss probably would have been minimal at worst.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running 3 miles twice a week.  With mile runs in between.

My strength has dropped about 10%. But I'm also in a huge calorie deficit and keto.

I'm still lifting. And I know once I start eating I will get 5% back withing a week.

It's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please put your approximate age in this so data is useful to us old farts (mid 40's).
View Quote
I'm 37 years old.

As a data point for comparison.
Last year I also did a very similar keto-like diet during weight loss wars.
I did weight training 2-4 times a week, cardio 2-4 times a week for 30 minutes max, high intensity interval and Stairmaster.

Last year I lost no strength at all, even during the keto phase. I even increased my squat.
This year with very little/no strength training, I lost a lot.

And the kicker- last year during weight loss wars, I lost 23 lbs.
This year during weight-loss wars I lost 21 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you had kept lifting, even just once a week, your strength loss probably would have been minimal at worst.
View Quote
I am certain you are correct.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't do both, but I can't quit either.

i typically run 5k three times a week and do hill sprints on the same days.

then I lift on opposite days.

I usually hit hit a wall every month or so that I can't eat my way out of.  Such is life, we can't all be superstars.

lately I've been doing CrossFit on cardio days mixed either 5k or hills.  I think I like it better.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can bench over 300 pounds once, you are in the top 1% of humans on earth for strength.

I think I’m willing to call that good and put some of my focus more towards cardio. I think many here who work out a good bit are already super human anyway, so why get upset about dropping into the top 2% for strength in order to bump up your cardio into the top 5%?
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you can bench over 300 pounds once, you are in the top 1% of humans on earth for strength.

I think I’m willing to call that good and put some of my focus more towards cardio. I think many here who work out a good bit are already super human anyway, so why get upset about dropping into the top 2% for strength in order to bump up your cardio into the top 5%?
View Quote
I have benched 300 once in my life. Right now I think I'd be lucky to put up 235 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much.

High levels of strength are worthless to most people.

You end up training just to maintain strength and muscle you do not need for vanity purposes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pretty much.

You end up training just to maintain strength and muscle you do not need for vanity purposes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much.

You sound weak.
When was the last time someone chased you for 5K?
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I did. Cut back my weight lifting routine and focused on hardcore cardio. I'm down 27 lbs. this year and my maximum strength is down no more than 10%. I'll lift weights once or twice a week.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You sound weak.
View Quote
I would rather get my ass beat than run 5k. I found this one neat trick that lets me avoid both of those
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pretty much.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much.

As long as you're not wrecking your body, what's wrong with that?
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would rather get my ass beat than run 5k. I found this one neat trick that lets me avoid both of those
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound weak.
Same here
Lift heavy and you won't get your ass beat or have to run
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Winter - lift more, run/row a bit less and no paddling

Summer - lift less, run a bit more, paddle a lot more, row a lot less
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You sound weak.
View Quote
Right after I the last time I had to lay flat on my back and push 225 pounds away from my chest 5 times...
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Right after I the last time I had to lay flat on my back and push 225 pounds away from my chest 5 times...
View Quote
No. It's 275 for 4 and then your run at cola warrior. It was 225 that one year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As long as you're not wrecking your body, what's wrong with that?
View Quote
Nothing.

If that is what you want then knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No. It's 275 for 4 and then your run at cola warrior. It was 225 that one year.
View Quote
I'll go be old and weak somewhere else
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was just about to ask age.  That seems to be the biggest issue with my training.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Update 5/14:
My squats have been progressing pretty well. I just did a set of 360 x7 yesterday. I think I'm about 20 lbs off my max right now, if I had to guess.

Bench press has been progressing too, but I'm still much weaker than I should be. Strangely most of my other lifts are 90% or so back, except bench press.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Its weird how that looks on a bigger scale when so many people claw into the 400s and beat the hell out of their body.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#28]
If you do it again lift weights full body twice per week.

You won't lose as much strength.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Having both tremendous cardio, and tremendous strength would require lots, and lots of time.  Going to a gym to lift or work on strength 4x-5x per week, and running for a half hour to an hour 5x per week to develop cardio would pretty much be a full time job.  Lots of people who say the gym workout only takes an hour forget to count in the time to drive to the gym, changing into and out of workout clothes, waiting for people to get off the equipment you want to use.  The same applies (without waiting for equipment) for the cardio.

Unless someone is a full-time fitness instructor, most people are pretty well limited to either one or the other, or to some compromise of ability in two areas.  Even cross fit is in reality half way between both, and while it is a great workout, it isn't like focusing on one or the other.

Few high end lifters, or high end marathon runners are also high end cross fit people.  There usually just isn't enough time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pretty much.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much.

High levels of strength make everything easier.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread scares me.. I dont want to lose too much strength, But I was Just invited to run a 1/2marathon with church and I accepted.

What would JIM say? Will I lose NOV in a NOVember 1/2 marathon?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

High levels of strength make everything easier.
View Quote
I have a high level of strength and my muscles don't even look that big.

I can also run 3 miles in 21:30.

And everything is easier.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#33]
My lifts go to shit when I am low carbing it.  I also tire quicker.  I know the ketomites will tell me it isn't so but I cannot move as much weight when in ketosis.  Everything else feels great but weaker.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My lifts go to shit when I am low carbing it.  I also tire quicker.  I know the ketomites will tell me it isn't so but I cannot move as much weight when in ketosis.  Everything else feels great but weaker.
View Quote
I do keto a bunch. It's awful for lifting. You have to keep your protein intake perfect or your lifts will go to shit quick.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
My first couple of weeks on keto. I kept rechecking my weights after my lifts because I thought that I loaded the bar wrong. Everything felt 20lb heavier.

I can run the same, but I cannot move weight the same.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Having both tremendous cardio, and tremendous strength would require lots, and lots of time.  Going to a gym to lift or work on strength 4x-5x per week, and running for a half hour to an hour 5x per week to develop cardio would pretty much be a full time job.  Lots of people who say the gym workout only takes an hour forget to count in the time to drive to the gym, changing into and out of workout clothes, waiting for people to get off the equipment you want to use.  The same applies (without waiting for equipment) for the cardio.

Unless someone is a full-time fitness instructor, most people are pretty well limited to either one or the other, or to some compromise of ability in two areas.  Even cross fit is in reality half way between both, and while it is a great workout, it isn't like focusing on one or the other.

Few high end lifters, or high end marathon runners are also high end cross fit people.  There usually just isn't enough time.
View Quote
A garage gym pays for itself quickly then when accounting for gas and membership.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Its weird how that looks on a bigger scale when so many people claw into the 400s and beat the hell out of their body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got up to a 585 dead,  540 squat and 325 touch and go bench, in a fairly short period of time in the gym.  About 2 years.  Ive always been strong so i wasnt suprised.

I was still making constant gains and being ready for my first powerlifting meet. That was my entire focus. I got divorced and gave up my stressful career so the gym was my escape.

I workout with a guy who was a partner in the met rx gyms and i watch a lot of YouTube lifters so i felt like nothing. I wasnt lifting what eddie coan lifted at age 16 i kept thinking.

Kept pushing.  Hard.

Tore my bicep, had constant sciatic pain to the point i couldn't squat and got rabdo all in a short period of time.  Stopped lifting for 9 months.  Felt like crap.  My hormones were all screwed up and it took me awhile to realize it.

My body absolutely fell apart when i started getting heavy. Im easing back into things as of the last 6 weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top