Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
E-Z mode:

Take screenshot of VM

Get Windows Server 2016 install disk/image
Boot to Windows Server 2016 image
Open CMD prompt once loaded (should be Shift+F10)
Navigate in CMD to the C drive of the main OS
Rename Ease of Access to CMD
Reboot into OS and from the lock screen open up Ease of Access (CMD)
Either force rejoin to domain or reset password from CMD

Easy peasy, but will require some downtime.
View Quote

the more you know
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on this puzzler:

Windows Server 2016.  The domain trust relationship is broken.  Normally, I'd log in as the local admin user and leave/rejoin the domain.
The local admin account had its password changed.  It isn't what it should be, and we don't know it.  For added fun, we found that someone used the local admin account to run some local services.  If we reset the password, the server gets borked.

Anyone know any Mission impossible way to either reset the trust relationship or add a second local admin user without being able to log in?

View Quote

If it isn't the primary DC or a DC, kill the virtual network adapter temporarily and try to sign in. Often disconnecting network will send it into cached credential mode then you can correct.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.top-password.com/blog/reset-forgotten-windows-server-2016-password/
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

the more you know
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
E-Z mode:

Take screenshot of VM

the more you know

Ya, it takes all of about 30 seconds not including loading screen time to do. Zero external tools/CD/thumbdrives needed.

The fix is BitLocker drive encryption. The downside is if you need to recover the OS later you'll need the BDE key, otherwise your data is toast.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

the more you know
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
E-Z mode:

Take screenshot of VM

the more you know

It's quite handy, I've had to use this method more than once to get back into a system lol.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well that's an interesting idea.  Might have to try that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clone to template and use vm customization to rejoin the domain. Then migrate to the new one during maintenance.

Just an idea, never tried it.

Well that's an interesting idea.  Might have to try that.

If you do please let me know if it works

ETA if you restored to snapshot your time is probably way off. In that case the clone won’t be able to pull a kerberos ticket. Might have to try and hack it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on this puzzler:

Windows Server 2016.  The domain trust relationship is broken.  Normally, I'd log in as the local admin user and leave/rejoin the domain.
The local admin account had its password changed.  It isn't what it should be, and we don't know it.  For added fun, we found that someone used the local admin account to run some local services.  If we reset the password, the server gets borked.

Anyone know any Mission impossible way to either reset the trust relationship or add a second local admin user without being able to log in?

View Quote
Boot to the install CD.  Change local admin password, reboot.

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in!

I was able to use the "UtilMan trick" as suggested.  I'd used it on a Windows 7 machine years ago.  I didn't expect it to still work on 2016R2, but it does.
Once I had a command prompt, I was able to use that to add a new local user and make them an administrator.  Then I logged in as that new user and was able to rejoin the domain and reset the trust relationship.

The original administrator account still has an unknown password, and the vendor's services are still using it, but the server is up and running, and I have full control again.  We will get with the vendor and get them to change their shit to use a proper account for their services and not the local administrator.  Then we can reset the local admin password.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!  I'll file them away for possible future use.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top