Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/9/2022 1:25:51 PM EDT
So long story I live in northern Minnesota, have had my county concealed carry permit for over two years now. Got pulled over got asked to inspect my weapon. Well they had no idea what they were looking at. The next day a detective came to speak with me and told me he ran the serial # PF940CL (lol the model #) and told me it linked to a crime in Florida. Well I told him I have receipts for all the parts and I've never been to Florida (which is true). He tried to reference me to Minnesota 609.677 (3) and said to expect a letter with felony charges after he speaks with the county attorney. Well that code references title 26 which is tax stuff for NFA I believe. Any advice?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
When the letter comes, write "Deceased Return to Sender" on it and put it back in the mail.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
How would they have a serial number linked to a crime?

Did they seize it? He sounds like a blowhard.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Hahaha I'm moving to western North Dakota in a few weeks and wanted my Glock back....
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

View Quote

Yup he seized it. Told me he ran the #, which was the model #, told me they need to do a atf trace on it. No charges filed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok now that I’m paying more attention lol. Some dipshit cop in Florida put the model number in as the serial and so did this guy. You might need a lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#6]
View Quote
Because he actually queried the model # in the serial number field, and some dumbass cop in FL also entered that same model number into NCIC as a s/n previously.

Most LE personnel aren't used to finding a firearm with no s/n (that isn't ground off, anyway) so at some point someone somewhere is going to erroneously assume that model designation is a s/n and enter it.

I wouldn't worry about it OP. Just wait to hear back after the trace is complete. Call if over 2 weeks and get the status. Get the name of the investigator working the case. You should already have a property # or evidence inventory # from the seizure, and they should've provided you with a receipt.

If you don't have your gun back in 3 weeks, follow up again with the investigator and then consider petitioning the local court for release of your property. You don't need an attorney to do so.

The duty judge can order it to be released back to you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
He sounds like a moron.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Barny Fife level Police work.

Real criminals run unencumbered.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
See if there is a statewide 2A organization like VCDL and see if they have any recommendations for lawyers.  Do you know any local lawyers and/or 2A friendly politicians.  If you have a liberal DA, they may look to make an example of you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
You're at the point where you know they're retarded and they're about to figure out they are retarded too.  I wouldn't talk to them further without an attorney, if you need one.  Don't cooperate with them, let them in the house, check your car, or answer a single question.  Once they figure out that they are stupid, it'll go one of two ways, they'll either give you back your gun and that's it, or they'll try and talk you into incriminating yourself on some unrelated.  I don't know the disposition of the PD there, but they already sound like retards and I would expect them to continue down that road.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok now that I’m paying more attention lol. Some dipshit cop in Florida put the model number in as the serial and so did this guy. You might need a lawyer.
View Quote

I just retained a guy from the cities. Also spoke with FPC and the Minnesota gun owners caucus. Apparently this hasn't been tried here in Minnesota yet so could get ugly.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m not seeing any connection in 609.67 to anything involving a home made handgun.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Call the detective's supervisor and explain the circumstances. If he isn't willing to fix it, goto IA and file a complaint. Have all your paperwork with you. Be as civil as you can be.
Expect it to take weeks to get it back.
The way guns are entered into NCIC promotes confusion.
The officer reads the serial number to dispatch(assuming it's a serial number and not the model number) and she( assuming gender, a room temperature IQ, lack of menstrual fury, limited dyslexia and a basic knowledge of the alphabet and the first 10 digits) types it in.
The system(assuming it's not down-or she claims it is) spits up a list of stolen guns with that series of alphanumerics attached to it. This will be all makes, models and calibers...
If it's not too long a list(and assuming she hasn't left on break) she might read it and ask you the caliber and make(because she didn't write that shit down).Assuming that the officer who took the stolen report had handwriting legible enough for the report review clerk to read(...) and that she( assuming gender, a room temperature IQ, lack of menstrual fury, limited dyslexia and a basic knowledge of the alphabet and the first 10 digits) entered it correctly...then the officer requesting the check will be advised that it's a stolen gun.
In my county, no warrant could be obtained on a stolen gun that had occurred more than a week earlier, because of the possibility of resale. They would be seized and returned to the owner unless they were tied to a violent crime.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m not seeing any connection in 609.67 to anything involving a home made handgun.
View Quote

"(3) receives or possesses a firearm that is not identified by a serial number."
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]
As already stated:  Don't be surprised if as they discover their mistake, they try to find something, anything to charge you with in order to make them look better (save face) and perhaps persuade you to forfeit the gun.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bazmancrash:

"(3) receives or possesses a firearm that is not identified by a serial number."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

609.667 FIREARMS; REMOVAL OR ALTERATION OF SERIAL NUMBER.
Whoever commits any of the following acts may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both:

(1) obliterates, removes, changes, or alters the serial number or other identification of a firearm;

(2) receives or possesses a firearm, the serial number or other identification of which has been obliterated, removed, changed, or altered; or

(3) receives or possesses a firearm that is not identified by a serial number.

As used in this section, "serial number or other identification" means the serial number and other information required under United States Code, title 26, section 5842, for the identification of firearms.

title 26, section 5842, is in regards to a licensed manufactured of firearms.

(m) Manufacturer
The term “manufacturer” means any person who is engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms.

https://www.govregs.com/uscode/expand/title26_subtitleE_chapter53_subchapterB_partI_section5842#uscode_1
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Oh look an admission that it’s not stolen.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#19]
“Local Police” means what, rural Sheriff’s Office or small town PD?

What court has jurisdiction?

I’d go to the SO or PD main office, ask to file a formal complaint that your weapon was seized without probable cause to believe that it was evidence of a specific crime. Demand to talk to the highest ranking person present. File a records request for all reports and documents. Make sure they provide you with a specific and named point of contact so you can track the progress of your complaint.

If it’s a small county, your next stop is the board of supervisors, if it’s a town, the mayor.

This is some dumb ass that shouldn’t even be a meter maid, much less a detective.  He was too fucking lazy to read the code and the definitions.

I’d make that dude miserable with weaponized bureaucracy.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag to see where this goes.

Pepper your Angus, OP. As previously mentioned they will most likely try to fix this by doubling down on dumb.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#21]
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:11:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#22]
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
I'd go to the SO or PD main office, ask to file a formal complaint that your weapon was seized without probable cause to believe that it was evidence of a specific crime. Demand to talk to the highest ranking person present.
View Quote
That's not going to work because the Supreme Court has already ruled that LE can seize property without PC and without showing any connection to a specific crime.

It's only searches and arrests that require PC.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:34:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bazmancrash] [#24]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
“Local Police” means what, rural Sheriff’s Office or small town PD?

What court has jurisdiction?

I’d go to the SO or PD main office, ask to file a formal complaint that your weapon was seized without probable cause to believe that it was evidence of a specific crime. Demand to talk to the highest ranking person present. File a records request for all reports and documents. Make sure they provide you with a specific and named point of contact so you can track the progress of your complaint.

If it’s a small county, your next stop is the board of supervisors, if it’s a town, the mayor.

This is some dumb ass that shouldn’t even be a meter maid, much less a detective.  He was too fucking lazy to read the code and the definitions.

I’d make that dude miserable with weaponized bureaucracy.

View Quote

Edited due to legal advice.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:
You're at the point where you know they're retarded and they're about to figure out they are retarded too.  I wouldn't talk to them further without an attorney, if you need one.  Don't cooperate with them, let them in the house, check your car, or answer a single question.  Once they figure out that they are stupid, it'll go one of two ways, they'll either give you back your gun and that's it, or they'll try and talk you into incriminating yourself on some unrelated.  I don't know the disposition of the PD there, but they already sound like retards and I would expect them to continue down that road.
View Quote

This, or contact local media about the cop being too stupid about the serial number.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:12:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#26]
I would not willingly allow a cop to inspect a legally carried firearm.   If they insist I'd tell them I won't stop them but they are doing it without my permission.  Seems strange for a cop to even bother unless they are looking to harass gun owners.

I'd probably call the supervisor of the person who called you and explain the situation UNLESS there is a law in your state requiring you to serialize a home build in which case I'd lawyer up.

How did they confiscate the pistol if the hit came the next day? Did you hand it over?  I believe you are within your rights in that situation to demand a court order.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#27]
OP, I know I don't need to tell you this, but for everyone else, the cops said they were going to charge him with a life destroying felony.  Do not call the detective, supervisor, patrolman, or anyone other than your attorney.  Cease all contact with anyone who takes a government paycheck.

Everyone in law enforcement is now an adversary.  Best case scenario is, your attorney contacts the detective to inform them that you have legal representation, and a few weeks from now, your attorney gets a call from the detective informing them that they are closing the case.

You'll come out the other end of this with a profound hatred of law enforcement, if you don't have that already.

I wouldn't really sweat it.  Its extremely unlikely that you, OP, are going to be the first mother fucker in the state to get taken to court over this.  But when a detective shows up and tells you that they're going to recommend a felony charge to the DA, and tell you that to your face, its still serious business.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:
OP, I know I don't need to tell you this, but for everyone else, the cops said they were going to charge him with a life destroying felony.  Do not call the detective, supervisor, patrolman, or anyone other than your attorney.  Cease all contact with anyone who takes a government paycheck.

Everyone in law enforcement is now an adversary.  Best case scenario is, your attorney contacts the detective to inform them that you have legal representation, and a few weeks from now, your attorney gets a call from the detective informing them that they are closing the case.

You'll come out the other end of this with a profound hatred of law enforcement, if you don't have that already.

I wouldn't really sweat it.  Its extremely unlikely that you, OP, are going to be the first mother fucker in the state to get taken to court over this.  But when a detective shows up and tells you that they're going to recommend a felony charge to the DA, and tell you that to your face, its still serious business.
View Quote

This. Lawyer up!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm sorry this is happening to you too. I walked into my local NY police department to turn in my pistol license when I was moving out of state. All of my handguns are registered on the license in NY. As I told the lady I wanted to do that, she suddenly looked concerned after looking at the computer and told me to have a seat in an adjoining room.

Shortly after 2 cops came in and started giving me the third degree about me having a stolen gun on my license and trying to get the truth out of me as to who I got it from. Long story short, the person entering my S&W revolver on my license 2 years previous put the model number as the serial and a north carolina cop did the same thing when reporting a stolen gun there. Bingo, match!, we're eating steak dinner tonight Johnson!

After a minute or 2, I regained my composure after being grilled and said "hey wait a minute, don't you have a copy of my receipt from the well respected local gun shop where I got it from? I know you keep that stuff in your records, why are you even asking me about this?"  So they went and dug it up and realized the model number/serial mixup and let me go after confirming my license was now cancelled.  I feel for ya dude, cops are horrible. They grilled me, a literal model citizen with a security clearance and enough stamps to cover my floor. They will ruin anyone's life without hesitation.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
That's not going to work because the Supreme Court has already ruled that LE can seize property without PC and without showing any connection to a specific crime.

It's only searches and arrests that require PC.
View Quote

If you reread what, I suggested it was the “weaponized bureaucracy” route, not going to court.  Supreme Court decisions about asset seizure don’t have shit to do with PSB.

They already said they took it because it has no serial number, but the problem is the detective didn’t read the definitions too (he’s probably an Arfcommer, you see that same mistake in GD all the time), so they already asserted a reason for seizure that doesn’t exist. It’s evidence of a crime that doesn’t exist. Too late for the asset seizure routine, and pretty sure they don’t want his shitty fake Glock. You can’t say, “ you possessed an illegal gun” and also assert “ come prove you legally own it” at the same time.

I’d be talking about IR memorialization and time off with his bureau commander.

Maybe if you ruin his day, he’ll learn to read the law before he acts.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Are you required in your state to let them "inspect" your weapon?

I'd simply reply I don't consent to any search or seizure and whatever they do after that is on them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Yup he seized it. Told me he ran the #, which was the model #, told me they need to do a atf trace on it. No charges filed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

What Total & Complete GOOF Ball ...

You should refer him for charges for theft of your property if the idiot doesn't know the difference between a MODEL # and a Serial # (of which your P80 doesn't have as a self made firearm I'll bet...

Remember, "Cops are our FRIENDS & would NEVER assist in taking Guns AWAY from us Citizens..."

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#33]
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#34]

City Cops. Polk County court jurisdiction. I grew up here and all these fuckers know me which kinda pissed me off. I'll see what my lawyer wants to do on Monday and will post updates. I hope the DA here isn't a liberal jack.
View Quote

Show this thread to your lawyer and see if recommends continuing to post details of your case.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like guilty until you prove your innocence.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MkTwain:
Are you required in your state to let them "inspect" your weapon?

I'd simply reply I don't consent to any search or seizure and whatever they do after that is on them.
View Quote

I'm not, but my state law specifically authorizes LE to take custody of it for the duration of the traffic stop in the name of 'officer safety'.
I suspect the same applies in many others.

Then when it's in the custody of LE, if it's the same sort of douchebag who would demand custody of it in the first place, he'll view that as license to do whatever the fuck he wants to do, run a 'stolen gun check', unload it and confiscate the ammo, field strip it and hand it back in pieces (if he has fantasies of a lawful CCer shooting him in the back as he walks away).
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

I'm not, but my state law specifically authorizes LE to take custody of it for the duration of the traffic stop in the name of 'officer safety'.
I suspect the same applies in many others.

Then when it's in the custody of LE, if it's the same sort of douchebag who would demand custody of it in the first place, he'll view that as license to do whatever the fuck he wants to do, run a 'stolen gun check', unload it and confiscate the ammo, field strip it and hand it back in pieces (if he has fantasies of a lawful CCer shooting him in the back as he walks away).
View Quote

This is the first time i've heard of a cop inspecting a weapon in the state. You are likely right, but I don't know the specifics. OP messed up by informing the cop at all though. One more vote to never inform a police officer unless required.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:

This is the first time i've heard of a cop inspecting a weapon in the state. You are likely right, but I don't know the specifics. OP messed up by informing the cop at all though. One more vote to never inform a police officer unless required.
View Quote

Yup thought I was doing the right thing. Was always told cops hate ya and I just experienced it hahaha no new updates yet.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:

View Quote

Michigan requires it, putting it in such fine CC company as Hawaii and DC. That law needs to change.

Apparently Minnesota is tell them if they ask.
The vast majority of cops don't give a shit.
The ones that care are the ones you don't want to tell. OP found one.

Remember the guy in Canton, who tried to inform the cops twice and got interrupted and shut down twice, and then the douchebag threatened to murder him when he finally found out the driver was legally armed? Yeah, that's why it's stupid to make failure to notify a crime.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Officer-Daniel-Harless-Who-Threatened-CCW-Holder-Fired-From-Dept/5-1275748/?
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Why_was_Daniel_Harlessandapos__partner_not_terminated_/5-1316946/
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By hoodfu:
I'm sorry this is happening to you too. I walked into my local NY police department to turn in my pistol license when I was moving out of state. All of my handguns are registered on the license in NY. As I told the lady I wanted to do that, she suddenly looked concerned after looking at the computer and told me to have a seat in an adjoining room.

Shortly after 2 cops came in and started giving me the third degree about me having a stolen gun on my license and trying to get the truth out of me as to who I got it from. Long story short, the person entering my S&W revolver on my license 2 years previous put the model number as the serial and a north carolina cop did the same thing when reporting a stolen gun there. Bingo, match!, we're eating steak dinner tonight Johnson!

After a minute or 2, I regained my composure after being grilled and said "hey wait a minute, don't you have a copy of my receipt from the well respected local gun shop where I got it from? I know you keep that stuff in your records, why are you even asking me about this?"  So they went and dug it up and realized the model number/serial mixup and let me go after confirming my license was now cancelled.  I feel for ya dude, cops are horrible. They grilled me, a literal model citizen with a security clearance and enough stamps to cover my floor. They will ruin anyone's life without hesitation.
View Quote

YOU HAVE TO TURN IN YOUR LICENSE WHEN YOU LEAVE? LMFAO
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By hoodfu:

View Quote

look on the bright side, once you've seen the bs face it's easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#42]
So long story I live in northern Minnesota, have had my county concealed carry permit for over two years now. Got pulled over got asked to inspect my weapon. Well they had no idea what they were looking at. The next day a detective came to speak with me and told me he ran the serial # PF940CL (lol the model #) and told me it linked to a crime in Florida. Well I told him I have receipts for all the parts and I've never been to Florida (which is true). He tried to reference me to Minnesota 609.677 (3) and said to expect a letter with felony charges after he speaks with the county attorney. Well that code references title 26 which is tax stuff for NFA I believe. Any advice?
View Quote

Why didn't you tell him that you legally made it, it has no serial number and that he must have input the model number in the serial number block?
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Mach:

Why didn't you tell him that you legally made it, it has no serial number and that he must have input the model number in the serial number block?
View Quote

Hahahah I did. He said well I have to run a forensic trace with the ATF, you probably won't get this back, and I'm bringing it to the DA so keep an eye on the mail for charges.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#44]
UPDATE 7/15/2022

Almost got it back today. Station officer said yeah you can have it back but the detective has some questions for you first. So I directed them to my legal council. Was then told I'm not getting it back it's illegal my lawyer can contact the county attorney. So well if it's illegal why am I still roaming around? This shit is starting to irritate me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:22:49 AM EDT
[#45]
UPDATE 7/15/2022

Almost got it back today. Station officer said yeah you can have it back but the detective has some questions for you first. So I directed them to my legal council. Was then told I'm not getting it back it's illegal my lawyer can contact the county attorney. So well if it's illegal why am I still roaming around? This shit is starting to irritate me.
View Quote

So I imagine the "questions" are going to be a string of BS to talk yourself into some criminal charges.  If you haven't start recording every interaction you have with them.  Use two phones, talk on speaker phone and record with the other.  I'd just have your attorney send them an email or phone call to find out what's up.  More about closing the case than getting the gun back at this point.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:26:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#46]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Because he actually queried the model # in the serial number field, and some dumbass cop in FL also entered that same model number into NCIC as a s/n previously.

Most LE personnel aren't used to finding a firearm with no s/n (that isn't ground off, anyway) so at some point someone somewhere is going to erroneously assume that model designation is a s/n and enter it.

I wouldn't worry about it OP. Just wait to hear back after the trace is complete. Call if over 2 weeks and get the status. Get the name of the investigator working the case. You should already have a property # or evidence inventory # from the seizure, and they should've provided you with a receipt.

If you don't have your gun back in 3 weeks, follow up again with the investigator and then consider petitioning the local court for release of your property. You don't need an attorney to do so.

The duty judge can order it to be released back to you.
View Quote

You really should send a registered letter with the information on the mistake they made (putting the model number in error of a serial number since your P-80 doesn't and is not required to have a serial number) along with BATFE information that it is LEGAL to make your own firearm / frame.

If you wait for "The System" to "Do The Right Thing" you'll be waiting a VERY VERY long time indeed.

And I'd document it all by doing it in writing with request for written response back.  (Evidence Trail to put before a Judge)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#47]
You lost me at, "got asked to inspect my weapon".  What weapon? would be the answer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#48]
What county?

How did he come into possession of your gun from a traffic stop?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#49]
UPDATE 07/20/2022

I got a court date and charges in the mail.

Possession of a firearm with no serial number.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By loon_138:
What county?

How did he come into possession of your gun from a traffic stop?
View Quote

Polk. Did what I was told. License with CC. Asked to see it for officer safety. Snowball.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top