Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/25/2024 11:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earl_Basset]
It's streaming on Prime.

I watched it all the time as a kid so I figured I'd watch it and recapture some of my youth.  I'm mid way into season 1 and don't remember a single episode yet, but damn this show has some depressing themes.

- baby died
- half the town died of Typhus
- dog dead
- abused son in coma
- crops ruined, life over

Just terrible.  With that said, it makes me wish I made my sons do more around the house, spoiled brats.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
A more realistic version would probably be worse.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
My mom grew up in the 1920s just a few miles up the road from LHONTP. Her dad died when she was little.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
View Quote

That's pretty much how the books were.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:07:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I was born in the depression and we were happy with didn't live in our heros time, Buffalo Bill.   Be GD glad we got what we got now because I remember my kids watching that show and telling them that was half as hard as it really was.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Go thank God you didn’t have to live it. Great show.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#6]
One of the recurring themes in the book series is how Pa is always making decisions or working on a new project which inevitably turns to shit.

Michael Landon had the "pa is a real fuck-up" vibe toned down for the TV show.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
It's streaming on Prime.

I watched it all the time as a kid so I figured I'd watch it and recapture some of my youth.  I'm mid way into season 1 and don't remember a single episode yet, but damn this show has some depressing themes.

- baby died
- dog dead
- abused son in coma

Just terrible.  With that said, it makes me wish I made my sons so more around the house, spoiled brats.
View Quote

That's what life was like back then.  There's a reason why everyone back then was an alcoholic.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:13:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I started watching it about 2 weeks ago for the first time. On season 3 now. Interesting show for sure.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget Mary going blind.
Unlike the TV series she didn't get married or become a teacher.
One of the boys died less than a year old.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HBPredhunter:
I was born in the depression and we were happy with didn't live in our heros time, Buffalo Bill.   Be GD glad we got what we got now because I remember my kids watching that show and telling them that was half as hard as it really was.
View Quote
You're over 85?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#11]
This show definitely makes you think about medicine advancement and societal downfall. 100%.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Didn't Laura's husband Zaldamo die too?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
You're over 85?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
You're over 85?
If so and still shitposting in GD, I'm imoressed!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

LOL

No you weren't.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#16]
It was never a regular show for me, but I remember an episode with Pa plowing his fields with a broken rib. I wondered what happened to his "right" to healthcare.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Hated that show especially sanctimonious “Pa”.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
It was never a regular show for me, but I remember an episode with Pa plowing his fields with a broken rib. I wondered what happened to his "right" to healthcare.
View Quote

He had a creek full of leaches!  What more could a man ask for?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#19]
My parents were children of the depression and they were tough, resourceful and frugal survivors . I think that  Americans today  are obviously weaker in many ways than our forefathers.  I believe we will not survive our next world war.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#20]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_purge

Not to be reddit, because this predates my time and no one I know noticed, but they didn't notice a lot of shit

Sounds like something reflecting reality, for better or worse
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#21]
My favorite was the one where the boy got hooked on drugs. If my memory serves me, there was this scene where he was basically being held captive to recover from the addiction. He was sick as shit, puked, and the camera is on him violently shaking with spit and a chunk of puke on his lip. I wouldn't take a fuckin Tylenol after seeing that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#22]
The worst was when Laura got to be friends with the old hermit that lived by the riverside.    Then she blabbed about the Gold he had hoarded, and it got stolen and he Died. (Murdered or suicide, they don’t specify).    

The old Italian immigrant struck it rich and got straight up murdered for his troubles.    
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Last year, I shot some trap with some old timers.  One guy said it was his mom or grandmother who gave birth at say noon….inside their farmhouse.

A steam locomotive rolled by and spewed hot embers on their corn crop.

She was out there at 3PM trying to put out the fire.

Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds so much like one of those “I walked two miles to school each way, in the snow, and it was uphill both ways."

But then I watched Memphis Belle last night….

B-17’s during the daylight….

At 36,000 feet where its -20*F….

In an unpressurized aircraft….

To be sitting ducks for Messerschmitts….

And they had to do it 25 times.

Those people were cut from a different cloth.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:
One of the recurring themes in the book series is how Pa is always making decisions or working on a new project which inevitably turns to shit.

View Quote

The family moved a lot because Pa wore out his welcome and would need to move on. I don't think he was ever run out of town, but he had to look for greener pastures
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#25]
Originally Posted By 49north:
My parents were children of the depression and they were tough, resourceful and frugal survivors . I think that  Americans today  are obviously weaker in many ways than our forefathers.  I believe we will not survive our next world war.
View Quote

Wife’s grandad was a cowboy. As a kid his dad took off and left his mom with him and his brother.  Their mom remarried another cowboy and they lived in a one room, dirt floor house in New Mexico.  Their stepdad only let them sleep in the house when the weather was bad. He and his brother got a .22 cartridge for a shared Winchester pump gun and were expected to bring home a critter for the use of that cartridge. He became a sergeant in the Army and went in on D-Day.  Saw the entire ETO campaign out.  Came back and raised a mixed family of his own, you didn’t have to be blood to be family with him and I never heard that man complain once while he was alive.  His brother was the same way.

Different breed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:23:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Hard times. The poster who said they were all alcoholics is full of shit plenty of them weren’t. Couldn’t afford it if they wanted.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#27]
My dad was born in a log house, out on a rural farm in ND, the 2nd American born kid. First 3 born in Canuckistan, the store my grandparents had was hit by lightning and burned down.

Heat was a wood stove, no electricity, no running water, farming was done with horses. One kid died at 6-months, one at 6 years when he fell into the well.  When the war started it was a true blessing, all crops sold at top dollar, they got a tractor so more farming could be done, and electricity.  Floods, hail storms, drought, were all big issues.

They grew up knowing they were poor, but at least they had food they grew and raised, the Canuckastanian cousins, were way worse off, no tractor until the 1950's.

Farming life is fucking hard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:28:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mah_lee:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_purge

Not to be reddit, because this predates my time and no one I know noticed, but they didn't notice a lot of shit

Sounds like something reflecting reality, for better or worse
View Quote

WOW!

We were being psyop’ed even back then.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:36:37 AM EDT
[#30]
The worst part of the entire series was this bitch alive at the end of it.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#31]
My grandfather was a farmer. At 38, her had a pregnant wife and a 3 year old daughter. Early December that year, his wife contracted Spanish Flu. The baby came very prematurely and his wife died in childbirth. The doctor took skin grafts from my grandfather to try to save the baby. The baby died about 6 weeks later.

Imagine wintertime in Minnesota, no electricity, no phone, quarantined so nobody could visit or help out. Your wife just died, you are taking care of your toddler, preemie baby, and livestock , nursing the grafting wounds and it's the shortest days of the year .
Neighbors would ride by on their horses from time to time to hold distant conversations, but weren't allowed to get off the road.

He died when I was young, and I don't remember him. I heard lots of stories about him, almost all are about how tough and strict he was.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:00:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Boingo:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/506899/bitch-3223790.jpg
View Quote

I read recently that in real life she is a very nice and good person, on the show i wished her to die many times.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:02:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mah_lee] [#33]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Little house on the Prairie was after the rural purge. It ran from the 70s into the early 80s. I don't really remember watching it. The Waltons ran during the same time period as Little House
View Quote

I'll take your word for it, before my time

Back to the real subject matter, it sounds like it more or less gave a real taste of life back then. You see the stats on outdoor plumbing and it rings true, i.e. help wasn't just around the corner, and sometimes, maybe often everything wouldn't be alright
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:15:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Back to the real subject matter, it sounds like it more or less gave a real taste of life back then. You see the stats on outdoor plumbing and it rings true, i.e. help wasn't just around the corner, and sometimes, maybe often everything wouldn't be alright
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Little house on the Prairie was after the rural purge. It ran from the 70s into the early 80s. I don't really remember watching it. The Waltons ran during the same time period as Little House

Little House was Michael Landon's series after Bonanza ended in 1973.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#35]
My family owns the property, and runs the museum where they lived near Independence, Kansas.

Life was tough back then.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:21:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Read the books.  We did, as a family, read them aloud while sitting outside in the winter in front of a fire.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Earl_Basset:
It's streaming on Prime.

- baby died
- dog dead
- abused son in coma

Just terrible.  With that said, it makes me wish I made my sons do more around the house, spoiled brats.
View Quote
Try living in Rural Alaska during those times.

My grandma was born in late 1800s and had at least ten kids. Six made it to adulthood.
My great grandparents had at least twelve girls. I am not sure how many survived.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:36:46 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

100 years old and still sh*tposting, that is amazing
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:

I read recently that in real life she is a very nice and good person, on the show i wished her to die many times.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
Originally Posted By Boingo:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/506899/bitch-3223790.jpg

I think everyone did.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I don’t remember that from the books, although I have not read them since elementary school. Examples?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:15:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikertrash] [#41]
You mean they didn't blame their hardships on the boomers of the era?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:17:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#42]
Really anything back then was.

Most young Men would jump at the chance to join an army during times of war just to get fed and not have to keep working in a factory or mine where they will never get ahead or do anything else.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#43]
The guy that played Doc Baker was my brother in law.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
The guy that played Doc Baker was my brother in law.
View Quote

sweet. Damn small world this is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

I don’t remember that from the books, although I have not read them since elementary school. Examples?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

I'm trying to find where I read about his issues
This one talks about the family sneaking out in the middle of the night.
https://pioneergirlproject.org/2013/07/09/pa-ingalls-fact-or-fiction/
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:04:25 AM EDT
[#46]
My paternal grandparents lived through the depression in small town Oklahoma.  They still used an outhouse until the mid 1960s.  When visiting as a child, I made sure my business was done before it got dark.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:09:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Read the books.  We did, as a family, read them aloud while sitting outside in the winter in front of a fire.
View Quote

Didn't the daughter marry a guy from northern Wisconsin and write about his childhood or am I mixing things up? Hopefully I'm not stirring in The Great Brain or something.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:
My paternal grandparents lived through the depression in small town Oklahoma.  They still used an outhouse until the mid 1960s.  When visiting as a child, I made sure my business was done before it got dark.  
View Quote

Up where my mom lives now, when we first moved there we had an outhouse for the first 2 years we lived there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Pa was an idiot in the books and nailed it in the show. It was the grace of god he didn’t get them all killed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top