BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Michael Moorcock - Elric series.

Beware of Stormbringer, the sentient sword.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For some throwback goodness try the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series starting with Lord Foul's Bain.  The first 3 books are really the only ones worth reading.

I actually also like the Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern, in particular White Dragon and the first few after that.
View Quote

I liked the first two trilogies but the first one was the best.  I need to re-read that at some point.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Robotech
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Black Company (about 9 books) by Glen Cook is the best fantasy since JRR Tolkin.

No good guys, just flavors of self-interested bad guys fighting an even greater evil.

If you like fantasy stuff, you are doing a great disservice to yourself by skipping this.
View Quote

Love them. Glen’s a stand up guy as well. His Instrumentalities of the Night is a good series too. I like it better than Black Company because it’s in Third person instead of First.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Man, not a single mention for The Belgariad by David Eddings?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Robin Hobb - the shamans crossing series
Elizabeth Moon - the Paksenarrion series (also have this on audiobook)
John Ringo - The Council Wars (sad that he never actually finished it though)
John Ringo - Ghost/Kildar series (does this count as sci-fi? or would it be military fantasy? )
James SA Corey - The Expanse series (am on book 6)

and... when I was a kid I was really into Piers Anthony's various series. Although as an adult I'd be cautious about letting kids read it.  

Not for kids
Aversion: Piers Anthony's Xanth series starts out very clean-cut. There's violence, and there's off-screen sex, but no more than most fairy tales. Then, he found out that his books were being put into the kid's section and he had the "Adult Conspiracy" break down and the books became more explicit.
View Quote

Well that explains a lot...
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Since we are already off on a tangent.
The Belisarius series by David Drake and Eric Flint was fantastic. I also really enjoyed The General series by David Drake and S. M. Sterling. I'm currently working may through it again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For some throwback goodness try the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series starting with Lord Foul's Bain.  The first 3 books are really the only ones worth reading.

I actually also like the Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern, in particular White Dragon and the first few after that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I liked those too when I was growing up.  I think I read all of them.

A couple of years ago I tried to go back and restart the series but... just couldn't get through the first book.  Maybe I didn't notice it as much when I was a child, but as an adult Lessa (in book 1 at least) just feels rather childish. I may try it again but I'm not sure.

Oh and another series I loved - and revisited as an adult - Bardic Voices by Mercedes Lackey (and several co authors).

Although I personally don't recommend the Joust series.  Maybe it's me but, despite the tragic backstory for the main character, he felt a little like a "Gary Stu" (male Mary Sue) where even in hardship things just went his way.   It felt like the plot was always contrived so that each challenge ended up going his way a little too easily.  Never read the sequels, but I imagine it went the same way.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13993.Joust
The one from "Helen" sums up a lot of how I felt about it.

Joust drowns in its own self-righteousness.

Vetch is honest, kind and humble, everyone else is lazy, incompetent and ignorant. But Vetch makes these snap decisions at first sight. He decides the other dragon boys don't like him so never attempts to say hello to them, yet it's their fault that they are not friends.

Joust continues on like this, in fact, the vast majority of the book spends it's time hammering home how wonderful Vetch is, and how rubbish everyone around him is. It's pages and pages at a time, and it overwhelms the story.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

If you can find them any of the Xanth books by Piers Anthony

Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony My personal favorites are On a Pale Horse and Wielding a Red Sword

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did you not like how he connected the Word and Void series with the Shannara books?  @JMD
View Quote

I tried reading them but lost interest.  For me they were not as good as his series I mentioned above
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Obviously, J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.

And what BFskinner said about Anne McCaffrey's "The Dragonriders of Pern", plus:

The "Chronicles of Prydain" (before Disney screwed it up).

Also:

The so-called "Time Quintet" by Madeleine L'Engle.
But I only read the first three:

A Wrinkle in Time (1962)
A Wind in the Door (1973)
A Swiftly Tilting Planet (1978)

and

"The Tripods Trilogy" by John Christopher.
I read all three:

The White Mountains (1967)
The City of Gold and Lead (1967)
The Pool of Fire (1968)

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Dragon Prince and Sunrunners' Fire series (6 books total) by Melanie Rawn.

The Novels of Tiger and Del by Jennifer Roberson. I forget the exact number of books, but it is a pretty good series. There is a little bit of feminism threaded into the overall theme, but it is not that overt and adds to the story.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Man, not a single mention for The Belgariad by David Eddings?
View Quote

I enjoyed that series.

Here is an interesting list.   Looking over it rang some bells on books that I had forgotten I had read.  

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/318.Fantasy_Classics
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#14]
CS Friedman
Wildfire trilogy
Magistre trilogy

Harry turtledove
Swords of the legion series
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Robert E Howard; Conan, Kull.

David Gemmell;  all his books are great fantasy reads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 1:19:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Deathlands

The Wingman
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Jack L. Chalker, The Dancing Gods Series.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]
It's not a traditional fantasy, but the Cradle series by Will Wight is fantastic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#19]
This forum is just what I am looking for.  Haven't read much Sci-Fi/Fantasy but looking for some good recommendations.

Some favorites that I like are:

as most of noted JRR Tolien LOTR, Hobbit and Silmarillion

C.S. Lewis Chronicles of Narnia

Larry Correia's  Monster Hunter International series.  I would think that on a gun site that someone would have mentioned his books!
Correia is a former accountant and gun enthusiast who knows his guns and it shows in his writing.  
They're not high literature but they are well written with good story lines and make for a fun read.
He and John Ringo also collaborated on some books.

Also like Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series.

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern

Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series

Got into these in college in the late 80s/early 90s and picked them up again last year. I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
LoTR
Chronicles of Narnia
Original Dragonlance trilogy
Glenn Cook's Black Company
Wheel of Time
Game of Thrones
Malazan Book of the Fallen
Joe Abercrombie's 1st Law
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm also a big fan of all the Raymond E. Feist books.  

I've been reading the Michael J. Sullivan books that start with The Riyria Revelations series; these books follow the story of a thief and a mercenary.

The first Gentlemen Bastards book The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch was really fun.  The 2nd one I didn't like as much but I don't remember much either.  The 3rd one is out now and there are supposed to be like 2 more I believe.

Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series is a really meaty dying Earth style story about an executioner who is banished and wanders the world.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I just finished the Deathworlders and then went right back and reread the whole thing.
I don't know if I would call it a series as he only released a chapter a month for the last 9 years and there are some side stories that take place in that universe.

But it was still pretty fun:

https://deathworlders.com/books/deathworlders/chapter-00-kevin-jenkins-experience/
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I've just finished my masters and have time to start up my fantasy reading again.

JRRT - LOTR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin (planning to read)
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn (enjoyed a lot), Stormlight Archive (will start book 1 after I finish LOTR again)
Herbert - Dune (loved it), Dune Messiah & Children of Dune (on my to read list, have the books)

Will probably look at Abercrombie (First Law) or Gwynne once I finish my to-read list of Sanderson and Herbert.

ETA: Finished Fellowship of the Ring and Dune Messiah this last week. Started up The Way of Kings, The Two Towers, and The Silmarillion all simultaneously the last few days. Really enjoying the first 300 pages of The Way of Kings so far, and TTT is amazing the 3rd time through as expected.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Surprised no one has mentioned Andre Norton's "Witch World" books. Yes, they are more "youth" fantasy, but are still good reads.
Larry Correia's Son of the Black sword series is great.
David Weber's 'Oath of Swords' series is another good set of fantasy books.
CJ Cherryh's 'Morgaine' series of books is a great mix of fantasy and hard sci-fi.
Gordon Dickson's Dragon fantasy series is another fun read.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth series  
David Eddings Belgariad and Mallorean
David Gemmell - The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend and all of his other books
Wheel of Time
A Song of Ice and Fire

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I enjoyed the Forgotten Realms Drizzt books until WoTC decided to time jump their setting (forcing their authors to do so as well) and effectively torpedoed any of their authors long running storylines and characters.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Warhammer Horus Heresy has been pretty good so far.  They haven't all been bangers, but the first three are excellent and most range from really good to okay so far.   The Warhammer Primarch books have been pretty good so far as well.

Not a series, but my favorite Star Wars book so far is definitely Darth Plageuis.  I've read it multiple times through and listened to the Audio book.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Discworld series.
Sword of Shanarra series.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#30]
An interesting take I enjoyed was a combination of Sci Fi in historical settings ficing it a fantasy feel,
Is The Time Patrol collections of Poul Anderson.

He grew up and came of age during the pulp era and golden age of Sci Fi.
His first stories were published in college at the tail end of the golden era,
And the Time Pateol stories were started in the transition period and continues through the new wave and into the 90s.

He was quite prolific overall.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Malazan Saga by Steven Erikson

First one drags and you have to get through it (Gardens of the Moon) ....the rest will blow your socks off.

View Quote

I'm reading Gardens of the Moon right now.  Oof.  

I didn't read up on it and didn't know what to expect going in but kept seeing it be recommended.  I put the book down several times before I was half way through to double check and make sure I was actually reading the first book in the series.  There is a ton of characters and lore being throw at you with hardly any explanation.   I definitely prefer the style of writing that will explain a magic system and how/why it can be used instead of "a mage performs crazy, complex magic" and you just take it for what it is in Erikson's book.  

Still enjoying it overall and plan to read the whole series.  Think I'll read something else though before going to book 2.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I have been doing a lot more Audible books lately when commuting or out exercising.  

The Helldiver series by Nicholas Sansbury Smith is pretty entertaining but then again R.C. Bray could read the telephone book and make it enjoyable.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top