Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2021 11:38:15 PM EDT
Does it sound like I need a hard start kit? My electric bill was $550 last billing cycle, normally around $250-$300 a month.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That tends to happen when the capacitor in your outdoor compressor is getting close to biting the big one.
It would be a good time to buy a spare capacitor and/or replace it before it fails.  Plenty of how-to's up on youtube.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol replace your capacitor for like $20. It's 4 wires at max. Just take the outside panel off your outside unit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol replace your capacitor for like $20. It's 4 wires at max. Just take the outside panel off your outside unit.
View Quote

Any concern with getting zapped by the capacitor when removing?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Remove the disconnect or turn off the breaker.
Take a screwdriver and place it across the terminals of the cap.
You can now safely remove the cap without getting popped.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That tends to happen when the capacitor in your outdoor compressor is getting close to biting the big one.
It would be a good time to buy a spare capacitor and/or replace it before it fails.  Plenty of how-to's up on youtube.wouWo
View Quote

Would the capacitor going out lead to a doubling of my electricity bill? My bill more than doubled at my old house and a hard start kit fixed it. Also, I just had the capacitor replaced 2 years ago. Do they shit the bed that much?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank you sir.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you sir.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Would the capacitor going out lead to a doubling of my electricity bill? My bill more than doubled at my old house and a hard start kit fixed it. Also, I just had the capacitor replaced 2 years ago. Do they shit the bed that much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would be a good time to buy a spare capacitor and/or replace it before it fails.  Plenty of how-to's up on youtube.wouWo

Got a good DMM?  You can check it really easily.   But for the money and the effort, may as well just replace it.

Just remembered something- our house was doing that too a couple years ago.  Turns out the feeder wires from the pole with seriously corroded and couldn't provide the current needed to start the A/C without browning out the house.  It's pretty easy to see if thats a case if you have an amp clamp, just look for balanced loads between the hot legs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got a good DMM?  You can check it really easily.   But for the money and the effort, may as well just replace it.

Just remembered something- our house was doing that too a couple years ago.  Turns out the feeder wires from the pole with seriously corroded and couldn't provide the current needed to start the A/C without browning out the house.  It's pretty easy to see if thats a case if you have an amp clamp, just look for balanced loads between the hot legs.
View Quote
You bring up a good point.
Its very common to find loose connections in the disconnect and or at the contactor inside the unit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Isn't a/c in Arizona just a swamp box on the roof?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you actually need to do that?  I have never it done before but this thread is timely, I noticed my lights dimming when my A/C kicks on.

I just watched a few videos on how to replacement, seems stupid easy, but none of them mentioned discharging the cap.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you actually need to do that? I have never done it before but this thread is timely, I noticed my lights dimming when my A/C kicks on.

I just watched a few videos on how to replacement, seems stupid easy, but none of them mentioned discharging the cap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you actually need to do that? I have never done it before but this thread is timely, I noticed my lights dimming when my A/C kicks on.

I usually do it, since I'm right there with a screwdriver anyway, but not always.  I also have a habit of not touching electrical contacts unless i need to.

These help too-
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

China cap? Lucky to last 2 years. Quality USA made one should be good for 5 years or so.  I keep a spare on hand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you actually need to do that?  I have never done it before but this thread is timely, I noticed my lights dimming when my A/C kicks on.

View Quote

I’ve been zapped. So I would. Lol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#15]
PSA to all you A/C users out there. Start capacitor died last Saturday. Replaced it, but the unit was still not quite getting it done. Cleaned a ton of crud and dust from the evaporator. Better, but still running 84-85 with an outside temp of 98 degrees. Was cooling ok at night when outside temps had come down. Had one last thought. Went outside and hosed down the compressor coils. Lot of dust and dirt from that unit as well. Within 10 minutes I was back at a 19.5 degree temperature differential, and the house is back to normal!!! Had to set the thermostat up to 78 to not get chilly.

Being honest, things had been running pretty well and a very mild spring and summer so far had me being a little complacent about my normal care and cleaning routine. About an hour and a half total time had me up and running. Had a buddy stop with his gauges and check the Freon and it is spot on.

Stay on top of your maintenance folks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I usually do it, since I'm right there with a screwdriver anyway, but not always.  I also have a habit of not touching electrical contacts unless i need to.

These help too-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/20210624_212703_jpg-2036775.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/IMG_20210712_180712_637_jpg-2036776.JPG
View Quote
I just did a specific search on "how to discharge A/C cap" and watched a video of someone doing it.  That's a loud pop when the screw driver shorts them and I get why now.  I wouldn't want to feel that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you actually need to do that?  I have never done it before but this thread is timely, I noticed my lights dimming when my A/C kicks on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I was taught.
Havent been hit by a cap in 25 yrs so I'll keep with the same practice.
If you're opening the unit for service more then likely you have some sort of driver handy.
So it's not like a fuck it I'm going for it rather then running to the truck.
Never had one spark or pop
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Now I have this hair-brained idea to replace my fan motor with a 3ph unit, install a thermocouple on the condenser and use the VFD's logic to control fan speed.

No more capacitors, extra air flow and no hard starts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:28:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does it sound like I need a hard start kit? My electric bill was $550 last billing cycle, normally around $250-$300 a month.
View Quote

Check your capacitor, and consider tightening all of the connections in your breaker panel.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Now I have this hair-brained idea to replace my fan motor with a 3ph unit, install a thermocouple on the condenser and use the VFD's logic to control fan speed.

View Quote
Sounds like a lot of time and money. The VFD's we use at work aren't too cheap.

ETA And VFD's have more capacitors in them than one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It would be a good time to buy a spare capacitor and/or replace it before it fails.  Plenty of how-to's up on youtube.
View Quote

FPNI

If your capacitor is shitting the bed, the compressor now requires more power that everything else was using to get started.

I guess it could be a motor too, but most likely is the cap.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$300 will get a drive an enclosure.  Just need an RTD or thermocouple at that point.

Maybe $350 for variable speed fans?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Not an electrician by any means, or worth a shit with power, but I’ve seen houses with open neutrals do that as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
You have a hard start kit.  You would need a soft start kit.

Also, shut off your mains and retorque all of the wires your breakers.  It is a thing.  Maintenance dept. at my work is using an IR device to identify hot spots in a breaker panel.  It is a regular inspection protocol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Isn't a/c in Arizona just a swamp box on the roof?
View Quote
Yes, for the poors.  

It is monsoon season right now.  Swamp box no bueno.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Good information here. Thanks for the post OP and for the replies folks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
$300 will get a drive an enclosure.  Just need an RTD or thermocouple at that point.

Maybe $350 for variable speed fans?
View Quote
Sounds pretty cheap for a vfd. I only work with Powerflex and they are considerably higher. But it's still a lot more than a $20 capacitor
ETA never knew they made them so cheap. Looks like there are a ton of chinesium ones out there that could handle the task.

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’ve been zapped. So I would. Lol.
View Quote

Those will light your ass up (don’t ask me how I know).
Handle with caution
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, this, this.  

Check the tri-plex to see if it's welded itself together over time.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2021 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine does that all the time with or without a hard start kit on a new unit. The hot tub also makes the lights dim. We have a real shitty transformer though that kills the power to about 7 houses way too often.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#31]
This is one of those times where calling an HVAC tech and/or electrician and/or your electric power utility might be a good idea.

1. Determine if you have good voltage from the power utility
2. Determine how much current your A/C is drawing when it starts and while it is running.  There is a clamp-on meter for this.  A decent one will cost as much as a service call.
3. Determine how much your line voltage drops at the A/C unit when the unit starts.
4. Check the contacts on the outside unit contactor.  Be sure you are maintaining good voltage on the load side when the unit starts.

Capacitors wear out over time.  If it's 10 years old, might be worthwhile to replace as PM, but if just replaced 2 years ago, ask the tech to test it.

If you don't already have a good DMM and clamp-on ammeter and comfortable/safe working on circuits, you will be better off calling a tech.  Watch what he does so you will know for next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top