Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/31/2019 2:24:37 PM EDT
I had no idea that this was a thing until I heard about my brother in law's divorce in South Carolina.  It's financial slavery.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Who is John Galt?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't get money from a dead man.  Maybe that is the intention.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Is he retired Military?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep its a damn scary prospect isnt it.

All I'm saying is I dont agree with <COC> but I damn sure understand <COC>
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't get money from a dead man.  Maybe that is the intention.
View Quote
Nor do you have to pay a dead woman.

That shit goes both ways.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
how long were they married? how old were they?
View Quote
I think ten years, married in early 30's, he was already done with medical school and all college, she didn't bring shit to the marriage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is he retired Military?
View Quote
A part of your pension isn't alimony
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is he retired Military?
View Quote
Nope.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I did a divorce where at the end the judge went through the husband's income, subtracted his living expenses and awarded the difference to his wife. I said "Your Honor, those calculations are based on his gross wages, he pays nearly 50% in taxes" Judge made a face and then said "That's my ruling" He hired someone else to do the appeal and that lawyer made a fuck up of the appeal I heard and he still got stuck paying it
View Quote
That's actually frightening
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ten year marriage and lifetime alimony? Wtfffff?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think ten years, married in early 30's, he was already done with medical school and all college, she didn't bring shit to the marriage.
Ten year marriage and lifetime alimony? Wtfffff?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, financial slavery. I got divorced after 25 years of marriage. In NC, lifetime alimony can happen. I dodged that bullet because I  successfully proved that my ex was gainfully employed before and during our entire marriage and at the time of separation, was earning more than me.

What is even worse though is an unfounded and unsubstantiated allegation of adultry can trigger the penalty of lifetime alimony in NC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't speak about his state, but in MD it's pretty disfavored these days.

Permanent also stops if she remarries. I understand Ihlan Omar's bro might be available.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yep its a damn scary prospect isnt it.

All I'm saying is I dont agree with  but I damn sure understand
View Quote
I told him to move to Costa Rica.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's hard to believe
View All Quotes
It's insane.

http://www.scalimonyreform.com/
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Indentured servitude and slavery are both illegal.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Indentured servitude and slavery are both illegal.
View Quote
In name only in SC.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#24]
That's criminal
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#25]
This is why killdozers exist.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nor do you have to pay a dead woman.

That shit goes both ways.
View Quote
Be careful.

A couple of days ago the nazi moderators deleted a thread AND a poster
for talking about deleting emissions stuff on a diesel pickup truck.

In the new and gentle world of arfcom things get deaded post haste.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#27]
And people wonder why young men aren't marrying...
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
an unfounded and unsubstantiated allegation of adultry can trigger the penalty of lifetime alimony in NC.
View Quote
Those kind, compassionate southern judges looking out for the helpless women folk.

The LAST place I would want to be in divorce court would be the southeastern states.  They think they can use the courts to turn a trailer park swamp into Mayberry.  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Slavery is one of the most immoral things you can do to a person. Killing someone in order to escape from enslavement under that person is a fair and just thing to do from a moral standpoint. That's all I have to say about that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#30]
The marriage racket is tilted against Men. It is a wealth transfer from Men to Women. Considering that "no fault" divorce is a recent thing (in the last 40 years) marriage has become a disposable "contract."

2019 America, and the West in general it is foolish for a Man to marry. Men have all of the responsibility and none of the authority. Additionally, the State will force a Man to live up to his marriage duties (pay for shit) and will never require a Wife to do her duty (sex, take care of the home etc...). You have been warned. This is a Leftist, Statist plot to replace strong families with Government and it is working.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#31]
In the People's Republic of NJ they award lifetime alimony. On top of this if there are kids you pay child support as well.

There was a story in the newspaper here about a wall street guy whom used to pull down like $1M a year. The judge awarded the wife 1/2 the assets, lifetime alimony + child support based on that income. Anyway he lost his job and the most he has been able to make is like $80K.  His career was destroyed by some market changing technology. Anyway he couldnt find a job doing what he used to do.

He has been in/out of jail multiple times already because he cant pay based on the $1M. He has told the judge that what he used to do doesnt exist any longer and had to find a new career.

The judge said tough shit - the settlement stands, find another job or go to jail. He said he writes phone numbers on his arm every time before they lock him up for contempt.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In the People's Republic of NJ they award lifetime alimony. On top of this if there are kids you pay child support as well.

There was a story in the newspaper here about a wall street guy whom used to pull down like $1M a year. The judge awarded the wife 1/2 the assets, lifetime alimony + child support based on that income. Anyway he lost his job and the most he has been able to make is like $80K.  His career was destroyed by some market changing technology. Anyway he couldnt find a job doing what he used to do.

He has been in/out of jail multiple times already because he cant pay based on the $1M. He has told the judge that what he used to do doesnt exist any longer and had to find a new career.

The judge said tough shit - the settlement stands, find another job or go to jail. He said he writes phone numbers on his arm every time before they lock him up for contempt.
View Quote
Yeah i'd be killing people at that point. Either way you end up in jail.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The marriage racket is tilted against Men. It is a wealth transfer from Men to Women. Considering that "no fault" divorce is a recent thing (in the last 40 years) marriage has become a disposable "contract."

2019 America, and the West in general it is foolish for a Man to marry. Men have all of the responsibility and none of the authority. Additionally, the State will force a Man to live up to his marriage duties (pay for shit) and will never require a Wife to do her duty (sex, take care of the home etc...). You have been warned. This is a Leftist, Statist plot to replace strong families with Government and it is working.
View Quote
Behind every red pill slinger is a dude who got raped in family/divorce court.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#34]
If you are stupid enough to sign the dotted line and get married today you deserve what you get.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I told him to move to Costa Rica.
View Quote
That would be a real option.  Move out of the country and live in a shack on a beach.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you are stupid enough to sign the dotted line and get married today you deserve what you get.
View Quote
Says the guy living in a communist state.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#37]
As if I needed another reason to never get married...
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And people wonder why young men aren't marrying...
View Quote
MGTOW makes the most sense anymore. Want some kids to carry on the bloodline? Have some, but you can still have kids and never get married.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is he retired Military?
@tc556guy ....... not trying to be an ass here but how does that work? I have a POS family member that divorced her Air Force Colonel husband. Even after the child support stopped she got 1/2 his pension - at least that's the story I've heard for the past 20 yrs or so. It made me wonder if / when he dies does her money stop? God I hope so.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That would be a real option.  Move out of the country and live in a shack on a beach.
View Quote
I’m looking in to health care options down there.

Hammock, mosquito net, shanty, margaritas, Steady stream of senoritas who are only after my money.

I can’t really see a downside.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#41]
My Ex wife paid me a nice lump sum for spousal support and had to buy me out of the house.  She is supposed to pay me $800+/month in child support, but I havent decided to go after that or not.  I don't need it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I know a guy a family member used to work with (he has since passed away) who really got the shaft from his ex, he knew how it was going to go down. So, he quietly sells his practice, quietly sells his house, transfers the money to the Caymans or one of those places where you used to be able to stash money. He loads his new girlfriend (who was a sweetheart) gets on his sailboat and takes off, pretty much vanishes. I think he got some job as the resort doctor at one of those swanky places.

Her lawyer’s investigators were going nuts, hell, I think the cops even got involved, but I a teenager, so it was decades ago.

His ex was a real bitch, act out t functions, was screwing some younger kid. She probably had it coming, I don’t know.

Conversely, I know a guy who’s ex got stuck paying him alimony. He had some low paying job taking blood, she worked for some financial institution. He was a weird guy and probably nuts, but he Damn sure got paid.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Be careful.

A couple of days ago the nazi moderators deleted a thread AND a poster
for talking about deleting emissions stuff on a diesel pickup truck.

In the new and gentle world of arfcom things get deaded post haste.
View Quote
Seriously?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#44]
God damn. Something Washington state is better at than other states. Mine was for 3 years after 14 years.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Definition of divorce:

The fucking you get......
for the fucking you got.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Take heed boys. Don't make the worst mistake of your lives.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#47]
In this scenerio, S.S.S is the key
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#48]
There simply is no reasonable justification for lifetime alimony. None.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I lived in SC for a decade.  I knew several guys that were absolutely destroyed by alimony.  My boss, who was a very good guy, was stuck paying roughly half his income to his ex.  She, of course, wouldn't even consider remarrying and losing that, since he was a six figure earner.  He was always stressed to death.

One day, after about ten years of this, she died from an blood clot.

I swear he levitated over his desk in joy and floated out of his office on a cloud of happiness when he got the call.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#50]
i met a chick online a few years back. The first thing in her bio was.. " if you are looking to get married im not for you, i will never get remarried because ill lose my alimony. "
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top