Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2021 3:57:58 AM EDT
What size Deere or other brand tractor to be sort of a do all around a remote piece of property? Dig a foundation for a small house or cabin, put in a driveway and septic and then later be used for fence posts and plowing snow. Looking for as inexpensive and small as possible, but still get the job done even though it may be inefficient.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]

John Deere 2020
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

John Deere 2020
View Quote

Ron Paul 2012
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Rent a mini excavator.

Buy about a 30-40 hp tractor with a loader as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 5:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
This topic comes up fairly often and it always ends the same way.

Group A will tell you a tractor isn't the right tool for the jobs you are talking about and you should rent or buy the right tool.  The poster before me is in this camp with the suggestion to rent a mini excavator.  If your time is worth as much or more than you money they are correct.  However, if you are in a remote location that might be a difficult proposition.

Group B will tell you to buy a tractor at least one or two sizes larger than you need because a bigger tractor can do almost everything a smaller tractor can do and lots of things a smaller tractor can't do.  They seldom tell you about the downsides or added expenses like hauling it around which also requires a larger truck, trailer, etc. than many people may have already.

Group C will tell you to buy a smaller tractor that fits your needs as they are now.  For the jobs you are talking about, depending upon how rocky the soil is that could be something as small as a subcompact  (but probably not).  If you time was essentially free and the soil didn't have any rocks bigger than two fists held together you could eventually dig a swimming pool out with a subcompact (look it up on YouTube if you think I am kidding).  

Group D will tell you to you need 3 tractors, a full size excavator and a dump truck.  I am exaggerating a little bit but not all that much.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Group A will tell you a tractor isn't the right tool for the jobs you are talking about and you should rent or buy the right tool.  The poster before me is in this camp with the suggestion to rent a mini excavator.  If your time is worth as much or more than you money they are correct.  However, if you are in a remote location that might be a difficult proposition.

Group B will tell you to buy a tractor at least one or two sizes larger than you need because a bigger tractor can do almost everything a smaller tractor can do and lots of things a smaller tractor can't do.  They seldom tell you about the downsides or added expenses like hauling it around which also requires a larger truck, trailer, etc. than many people may have already.

Group C will tell you to buy a smaller tractor that fits your needs as they are now.  For the jobs you are talking about, depending upon how rocky the soil is that could be something as small as a subcompact  (but probably not).  If you time was essentially free and the soil didn't have any rocks bigger than two fists held together you could eventually dig a swimming pool out with a subcompact (look it up on YouTube if you think I am kidding).  

Group D will tell you to you need 3 tractors, a full size excavator and a dump truck.  I am exaggerating a little bit but not all that much.
View Quote

Somewhere in there is the answer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
For what you are doing, a track loader would be best.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

All dependent on time and money. Since the OP wants inexpensive, guess time is less important.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#8]
A small inexpensive tractor will do most of those things. When it comes time to do septic and a dig out rent a trackhoe. Even with a backhoe on your tiny tractor you’ll be miserable.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in group A.

Rent for the big things, buy for daily use.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#10]
We had a John Deere 410 extandahoe

Paid 20 grand for it, owned and used it for 20 years and sold it for 25 grand.

SCUT's and CUT's cost a God Damned fortune for what they are, if you have a the room buy a real piece of equipment, it will do more and cost you WAY less than a compact unit.

If you don't have the room then buy the largest machine you can.  2038R is quite a bit more capable than a 1025R.

You say small as possible, then you don't want a hoe on it for 2 reasons.  1. Adding hoe on a small tractor makes it a bigger tractor, you don't want a 3 point mounted backhoe either, get one with a subframe mount.  2. Small backhoes are pretty limited, namely you can't get enough ballast on the machine. Yes you can get a lot of work done but with the ease and low cost of rentals does dealing with a hoe attached to the back of a small tractor really make sense?  It may for some but consider that before buying.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am in group C but I could be in group B very easily if I wanted to change out all my garden gates to larger ones so I can fit a larger tractor.  I like to be able to use my 25 horse tractor next to my house on my lawn.  I look at as a big wheel barrow.  

I also agree with renting the right tool for the job.  A mini X would dig a foundation pretty quick and are a lot more compact than a compact tractor with a how.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 1025r with a loader and some other stuff. I tried digging a small garden, and some landscaping stuff with it. Eventually... I got it done. After a few projects, I learned a ton. Like, small tractors don't dig real well, and you'll probably break something if you push it too hard.

Then I borrowed a friends 773 bobcat. Ho lee sheet. It works amazing, and had tons of power. If I were doing any serious work, a decent size bobcat would be the goal. in fact, I'm trying desperately to buy the 773 now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd guess in AK you'll be plowing snow more than than any of the rest of those tasks. How deep do foundations and septic systems go up there? Check on the depth reach of the smaller tractor's backhoes before you buy. It's all expensive, the main thing is not spending on something really won't do what you need it to at all.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Digging a foundation is not in the sweet spot for any tractor mounted backhoe. You are definitely better off to rent an excavator for a weekend. That’s a fact no matter what tractor you buy. I have an older 22 horse deere with a loader and hydraulic plow. I have a long gravel driveway I maintain with loader and box blade. Also have a 4’ brush hog. I love my little tractor…but it’s too small to do much real work.  We also have a 55 horse deere with a loader at our hunting property.  7’ tiller and 7’ brush hog. It works great for putting in food plots, mowing fields, cutting firewood, etc. it would be way too big at home…it’s also way to big to maneuver in the woods at all. I think my sweet spot for general use would be a 35 horse. I looked at a Kioti ck3510 this spring. I really loved that tractor. Much more lift capacity than my little guy yet still small enough to maneuver around the house or tighter quarters.

Regardless of having access to those 2 tractors I still rent a skid loader or excavator for projects when needed. Sometimes the right tool for the job is worth the couple hundred bucks for the hours it will save with one of the tractors.  I have a couple local guys that will rent their machines to me at a flat rate per hour on the machines clock when they aren’t using them. If you can find a deal like that you can’t beat it. Guy with the excavator is a concrete guy who mainly uses his skid loader unless doing foundation work. He won’t rent his skid as he uses it pretty much every day. Guy who rents me his track loader is a construction guy. So ask around.  If you get lucky treat the machines right!
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You forgot Group E - the answer is always a zero-turn
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like this?
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Our 36hp John Deere wasn't enough and not having a cab sucked in winter as well as the middle of summer.

60hp kubota with a cab is being prepped as we speak and delivered friday or monday and they are picking up the deere
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of which:  Whatever happened to that moron that wanted to use his ZTR as a bulldozer/tractor and spread a bunch of gravel with it?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For what you are doing, a track loader would be best.
View Quote

You might be right. Which one?
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A small inexpensive tractor will do most of those things. When it comes time to do septic and a dig out rent a trackhoe. Even with a backhoe on your tiny tractor you’ll be miserable.
View Quote

I likely won't be able go get rental equipment to the property. Remote.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got a newholland t4.75.  It replaced a 1985 ford 2810.  It can use all my skid steer attachments, and has a cab.  Cans, unless your in the woods, make everyone happier.  

Tractors, for the most part, aren’t good at digging holes.  All depends on how much time you have.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]

I'm not even mad at that.....redneck engineering is the best engineering
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think many are picking up on your state.

What's your budget and what jobs do you need the machine to keep doing after everything is dug?  Garden, snow removal, road maintenance?

Anything that's a one and done I would try to rent equipment even if it's from a neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Slapahoe is a better choice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 1025r with a loader and some other stuff. I tried digging a small garden, and some landscaping stuff with it. Eventually... I got it done. After a few projects, I learned a ton. Like, small tractors don't dig real well, and you'll probably break something if you push it too hard.

Then I borrowed a friends 773 bobcat. Ho lee sheet. It works amazing, and had tons of power. If I were doing any serious work, a decent size bobcat would be the goal. in fact, I'm trying desperately to buy the 773 now.
View Quote

I have a 1025r with a loader and backhoe....and your not wrong.  They have the hydraulics sized so it basically doesn't have enough power to break itself.....you can still do it, you just have to try harder

95% of the time my tractor is used for mowing (belly mower) and pushing up brush, dragging smaller trees, pushing firewood around, keeping my rock driveway in good shape.  It does a great job at that stuff and I have no complaints with it.  There is another 4% that I do that it's not great at, but will do it....albeit slower that I would like (digging out stumps, moving larger stuff).  That last 1% of stuff for me, it just won't do and I'll need to rent a machine for a day....like OP's example of digging a septic tank hole.

I'm happy with the machine that will do the vast majority of what I need, even if a few of the jobs are bit slower.  Obviously if I had the money, I'd have a machine shed full of different equipment like a mini excavator and bobcat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Our 36hp John Deere wasn't enough and not having a cab sucked in winter as well as the middle of summer.

60hp kubota with a cab is being prepped as we speak and delivered friday or monday and they are picking up the deere
View Quote
MX?  my parents just had one delivered yesterday.   Still has new tractor smell.  Nice machine and not a terrible price.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ron Paul 2012
View Quote

Koney 2012
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Full sized backhoe.

Digging a foundation with a tractor is a fools game.  By the time you get to a big enough sized tractor required to dig it, you’re already paying more than a full sized backhoe costs used.

CAT 416 / Deere 310 / Case 550 / Ford triple nickel.

That’s assuming you can’t rent a skidloader and mini excavator due to your remoteness.

But a full sized backhoe is the way.  You can dig the foundation. Move large quantities of dirt.  Load dump truck height trucks.  Cut a driveway. All “well enough” with a backhoe.

A cheap dozer would also go a long way. Something like an old D3 or TD7E dresser.

Once you’re done with them, sell them.  Buy a lawn tractor/TLB for small projects.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just got a newholland t4.75.  It replaced a 1985 ford 2810.  It can use all my skid steer attachments, and has a cab.  Cans, unless your in the woods, make everyone happier.  

Tractors, for the most part, aren’t good at digging holes.  All depends on how much time you have.  

View Quote

Nice, I have been looking at used tractors in that size range, including that very model.  

Its weird how these are priced.   The dollars per hp seem to go down pretty quick as you move up from compact to utility.    
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you get a tractor there? I would say if you can get a backhoe with a front and loader there that would be doable for your bigger digs. Otherwise the little tractor will help with small projects.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Paid 20 grand for it, owned and used it for 20 years and sold it for 25 grand.

SCUT's and CUT's cost a God Damned fortune for what they are, if you have a the room buy a real piece of equipment, it will do more and cost you WAY less than a compact unit.

If you don't have the room then buy the largest machine you can.  2038R is quite a bit more capable than a 1025R.

You say small as possible, then you don't want a hoe on it for 2 reasons.  1. Adding hoe on a small tractor makes it a bigger tractor, you don't want a 3 point mounted backhoe either, get one with a subframe mount.  2. Small backhoes are pretty limited, namely you can't get enough ballast on the machine. Yes you can get a lot of work done but with the ease and low cost of rentals does dealing with a hoe attached to the back of a small tractor really make sense?  It may for some but consider that before buying.
View Quote

Yep only downside is their big I currently have a 1989 deere 410C extenda hoe does all the work you could ever ask, then if you want to resell it later and get something smaller with a mower or 3pt hitch you can.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How would you get a tractor there? I would say if you can get a backhoe with a front and loader there that would be doable for your bigger digs. Otherwise the little tractor will help with small projects.
View Quote

Should be able to get in there in the right season where the ground is frozen, but not too much snow. Once it gets there it will probably be there forever.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I went from this Kubota BX2360:
Attachment Attached File

To this LS MT347HC:Attachment Attached File

I miss the BX for a lot of reasons. It’s small, nimble, and can mow in areas the big one can’t get to. However, it took for fucking ever to mow the whole place. It was also limited on PTO HP and lift capacity. I made lots of trips moving piles little bits at a time.  On the other hand, I won’t drive the LS over the septic, but had no hesitation with the little BX. The BX also doesn’t create quite the ground compaction.

My father in law had a BX22 TLB subcompact and now has a mid-size compact L3301 TLB. The backhoe is great for repair work or the occasional hole, but we found it terrible for big jobs or those needing us to move frequently, like tree stumps and fence posts. You spend more time parking and setting up to dig than making the hole. It’s a pain. You will like it better than nothing, but it is inefficient.

If you have nothing and need a tractor that is like a Swiss Army knife, a Kubota B or LX is tough to beat. You get small, but powerful. We both miss our BXs. Nothing is quite as handy for odd jobs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#35]
30hp Kubota is the answer you seek
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#36]
This takes the fun out of the thread but just go to the dealers and talk to a few salespeople about your needs. They won't steer you wrong.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#37]
What you should use for what you are planning would be a full size used backhoe.  Something like a case 580M extend  hoe.  It will do what you are asking except set fence posts in stony soil.  With a bucket of stone helping, you may be able to push down pointed posts in light soil.  You might want to use a hose to soak the soil if it is hard.   There not hard to run, my 11 year old runs ours.

The biggest downside is learning where the cutting edge of the bucket is since you can't see it.  You have to learn the feel of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top