Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2024 5:34:15 PM EDT
Stats 49 yo, 200 lbs, 5'11" inches. More of a muscular build but can lose some belly fat. I want to increase strength and cardio but want to ease my way into the weights so that I don't destroy my joints. So I thought I could start with calisthenics to prep my body for heavier weights.
What are some popular body weight routines?
Currently do 10 sets of 15 of push-ups, crunches, leg lifts and air squats (with35lb kettle bell) and 30 second planks each set.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Weights won't destroy your joints unless you do something stupid.

Moderate weight for moderate reps is usually a safe bet for most people.

Something like 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps, using any type of programming you want. Add in body weight work around it all and go easy. If joints start hurting lower your frequency for awhile.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Weights won’t destroy your joints and will make you stronger.
I’ve been training heavy for 39 years smartly, and have no joint issues, and I’m still strong.  Look into Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program with the body weight assistance template. It has you doing minimal volume of weights as the core movement with body weight assistance movements. You’ll be doing squats, deadlifts, bench, and OHP, followed by body weight assistance work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer calisthenics to weights, but you can hurt yourself easily with poor form.

Useful links
Calisthenics movement. They have a website with paid for content. I find it worthwhile.
Fix Your Squat (In Just 3-Minutes)

This book isn't perfect, but it gives a balanced template with progressively harder exercises
Convict conditioning
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
100 Kb swings, 100 push ups, 100 goblet squats, 50 pull ups.  Break it up into whatever amount of supersets you can handle.  Should take 15 to 20 minutes, but you can take as long as you need at first.  You can use assisted pull ups if you need to also.  It might sound like a lot, but it isn't.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Calisthenics!  Look up BrolyGainz007 on youtube.  Dude is a calisthenics master and has given me a lot of ideas to just have more options.  May not be your style but I think he’s funny and keeps it simple.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vim] [#6]
I've used this as a starting point, bumping reps/sets as I moved at my own pace toward their goals.  I'm a fan of progressive exercise toward the target [harder] exercise, so I can focus on technique rather than cheating to complete the motion.  Pullups are a great example.  It's easy to get other muscles engaged when you start, which defeats the goal and reinforces poor form.  I also row for low-impact cardio.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top