Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2020 3:49:14 PM EDT
I managed to keep or obtain a replacement badge to turn in for every single promotion I ever got...

It was funny...Entry level stuff was monitored like a hawk, but the higher rank I got, the easier it was.

State was worse than county for me, but I was well like by the sheriff and wife worked there also.

Thoughts~
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course I got to keep my Badge and Creds....also got to Keep a Glock 17 with a nice letter from my agency showing the transfer of ownership from the agency to me.

what kind of Mickey Mouse agency did you work at?  Lol.

18Z50
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Local PCSD gives a shadow box on retirement with each badge held during the career.  Also, last duty weapon can be kept for $1.  They used to give an 1873 type pistol too, but that may have stopped.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got all of mine
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have all of mine and my wife has both of hers, but with state, it became more difficult because of checklists when you promoted, etc.

County....Easy as Hell.

When I finished with juvenile probation, I had a really nice shield made by "Sun Badge Co", but they gave me two of them but they only required one to be turned in so kept the other for my still unbuilt shadow box.

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I kept all of mine when I retired.  I may have the last ID in existance signed by Dennis Kucinich.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
From my first department I still have the original badge I was issued when I was hired. I ordered three or four more on my uniform allowance over the years or I would just call Blackington up and order one and have it shipped to me. They didn’t give a shit. when I left that agency for my current agency I sold all my spares to other guys still on the job there but I kept my original one. Shit I still have it pinned on a uniform shirt that hasn’t fit me in 22 years :-) However the federal agency I work for now we are specifically prohibited from having more than one badge so even if I want to have another one sent out I can call Blackington but it requires agency letterhead from the SES level to authorize it. When I retire I will get two badges, one for a shadowbox and the one I’m currently carrying right now along with my retired credentials for LEOSA purposes. The funny thing is our badges are actually numbered whereas when I was a real cop they weren’t. Ironically the one I was issued at Quantico was a secondhand badge that someone else had previously had and the one I’m carrying now is my third one as I’ve had to send two previous ones back for repair as the enamel was falling out and they just re-issued a new badge to me with a different number.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have most of mine. One place I was a deputy, they had custom shields made, and the company wouldn't let you order direct. We were told no, nope, we will keep them.

Then I was at a buddys, who retired from there and started a guard company, and lo and behold, he had his. Wouldn't tell me how he did it, but he did lol

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve got 2 for each rank I’ve held- officer, Sergeant, and Lieutenant. Came in handy having 2 because you didn’t have to take it off your coat and put it on your shirt in the winter.  I also have every credential ( I’d card)  I’ve been issued.  When a new chief comes in, new I’d card.  Officers had badge numbers. Detectives and above, did not. ETA :  also kept my Glock 17.  When we update firearms, I’ll swap this one for an upgraded one.  I’m retired, btw.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
As a police officer I was issued one badge, but policy allowed a duplicate badge for credential case at the officers expense. Had to turn in the issue badge at separation.

I have the credential case and badge I bought.

I left the PD when hired by the U.S. Marshals Service. When I retired I turned the credential badge and belt badge and a few months later they were returned to me.

They had the attachment devices removed and were in lucite... and retirement credentials. My first retirement check was under $200!  I inquired and was told "next month" I would get my check including the shortage.

Three months later I received my full check and the shortage for the previous two months.  It took six months to get my retirement credentials.  I was not amused!

After retirement, I was a contract investigator for the Office of Personnel Management and was issued a badge and credentials.

I was prohibited from being armed while doing background investigation even though USMS and Federal law allowed me to be armed after retirement.

Medical issues forced me to give up the OPM gig.  I was told if I "lost" my badge and credential it would cost me $1000.00.

I wanted that badge, but not so much I would pay a grand to do so!
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a police officer I was issued one badge, but policy allowed a duplicate badge for credential case at the officers expense. Had to turn in the issue badge at separation.

I have the credential case and badge I bought.

I left the PD when hired by the U.S. Marshals Service. When I retired I turned the credential badge and belt badge and a few months later they were returned to me.

They had the attachment devices removed and were in lucite... and retirement credentials. My first retirement check was under $200!  I inquired and was told "next month" I would get my check including the shortage.

Three months later I received my full check and the shortage for the previous two months.  It took six months to get my retirement credentials.  I was not amused!

After retirement, I was a contract investigator for the Office of Personnel Management and was issued a badge and credentials.

I was prohibited from being armed while doing background investigation even though USMS and Federal law allowed me to be armed after retirement.

Medical issues forced me to give up the OPM gig.  I was told if I "lost" my badge and credential it would cost me $1000.00.

I wanted that badge, but not so much I would pay a grand to do so!
View Quote

I worked with a guy that had retired from US Secret Service and they sent his badge to him in Lucite as well....Must be a Federal thing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the Junior G-Man badge I got from Post Toasties when I was seven.

A few years ago I wound up a rookie with it much to his partners amusement.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy a dupe.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#15]
My agency over my career changed badge styles four times. Kept them all along with different promotion badges. What they heck are they going to do with them? Badge numbers don't repeat and are useless for anyone else.

They are all in a box somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#16]
They issue us a retired badge. You don't get to keep any issued badge here, either upon promotion or retirement.
If you paid for a badge type they don't normally issue, such as the special 2000 Millennial service or breast cancer awareness badges, you get to keep those.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I managed to keep or obtain a replacement badge to turn in for every single promotion I ever got...

It was funny...Entry level stuff was monitored like a hawk, but the higher rank I got, the easier it was.

State was worse than county for me, but I was well like by the sheriff and wife worked there also.

Thoughts~
View Quote

I've got every single one for each unit and rank I've worked.

J-
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I got mine and my credentials in a shadow box.  It would have been my original badge and credentials, but those went into the ocean one day off my boat (no, really, they did!).  
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got the blank officer badge I was issued for FTO, officer badge with badge number, corporal, sergeant, and now lieutenant. The department issues you one for each rank, but if you want to purchase more or a flat wallet badge you can do so through the department you just have to pay for them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It’s against policy to have more than one badge or to keep your badge or have one made.
So no, I will not have any badges when I retire.
View Quote

It was the same for us but lots of guys had duplicates made that they carried when off duty. I destroyed my duplicate after retiring because my badge got reissued to someone in the academy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Got a nice shadow box when I retired with all my old shields in it.

It was a gift from my  last command.

The originals have to be returned and recycled to new Cops
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It was the same for us but lots of guys had duplicates made that they carried when off duty. I destroyed my duplicate after retiring because my badge got reissued to someone in the academy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s against policy to have more than one badge or to keep your badge or have one made.
So no, I will not have any badges when I retire.

They recycle numbers here but I keep a couple generic ones.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Had to turn in my badge when I left EMS as it would get doled out to whoever filled my seat.  First FD job I bailed before I even got issued my badge.  My current agency once you’re issued it, it’s yours.  So I have my Firefighter, Engineer, and a commemorative Centennial badge.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Our POA pays for all of your stars to be mounted in a nice shadow box.  We can buy flat badges for wallet mount, but it has to be on a letter signed by the Chief.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I started and retired at the same agency and never went up the ranks.

Turned in my badge and received the same one with "retired" on it along with my service weapon.

I do have all the guns I've been issued though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#27]
we recycle so no.  when you retire they get you one that says retired and hand it to you with your duty gun (and deduct $50 from your last check for the gun).
they had a stupid policy on removing the firing pin before giving you the gun.  when i took over i didn't bother removing the firing pin and the administration asked why and i said the second they walked off that stage i would reinstall it for them so why take it out in the first place.

just like we now issue RMRs.  policy says we might remove it upon retirement.  i'm not going to bother, i buy a new one for every person we hire so i don't need old ones sitting around.  i already have spares on hand.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#28]
My first badge as a FF, was a hand me down dug out of the back of the back of a drawer. I have no idea what ever happened to it.

My next FF badge (same dept) I was issued when the chief decided that we needed a new design. That's a back up badge on my sweatshirt.

Current Badge has an old timey steam fire engine on it, as the chief decided that Equipment Operators should have a Special badge, same as Chiefs, and Captains. That hangs on my uniform shirt I never wear.

When I retire, they can have the damned things, I don't want them. Hell, maybe they could be a stand in for me at my retirement party = here is a cake on your last day....  As I'll "Have a thing" and won't be there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I have several of my current rank and they are engraved with my badge number, so they will be staying with me when I retire in a few years.

I actually have (5) badges; 1 on uniform, 1 on outer carrier vest, 1 on jacket, 1 on belt clip and 1 in wallet.

I plan on doing a shadow box when I retire, so one will go in there, along with previous rank badge. When I pass on, my wife has instructions to give one badge to my son and another to my daughter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#30]
They issue a badge & then we can buy a 2nd badge & a flat, wallet badge that we get to keep.  When you retire or promote you turn in the original.  Thankfully we no longer mess with badge numbers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My first agency used badge numbers. My Father and I shared the same badge. When I got hired, they brought it out of retirement and issued it to me.
View Quote

I know several father-son-daughters- that did that.  The father usually came to the graduation from the police academy ceremony.  I still have my mom’s uncle’s badge, I’d, hat badge and motorcycle jacket ( he was a motorman). Oh, and black jack, street guide for city of Atlanta, For reference, my badge number was 3218.  Moms uncle was 690.  Detectives and above don’t have badge numbers.  Detective badge says detective, sergeant badge has sergeant, and so on and so forth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My first agency used badge numbers. My Father and I shared the same badge. When I got hired, they brought it out of retirement and issued it to me.
View Quote

And congrats on retirement.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Still have all mine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I know several father-son-daughters- that did that.  The father usually came to the graduation from the police academy ceremony.  I still have my mom’s uncle’s badge, I’d, hat badge and motorcycle jacket ( he was a motorman). Oh, and black jack, street guide for city of Atlanta, For reference, my badge number was 3218.  Moms uncle was 690.  Detectives and above don’t have badge numbers.  Detective badge says detective, sergeant badge has sergeant, and so on and so forth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool deal.  I use a set of S&W cuffs from my dad’s days, engraved with his old call number.  That agency went thru a few name changes during his time so I know they are nearly as old as I am.    

My first agency I got to keep my badge- it is bent to hell from fights.  About to find out what happens with retirement at the current place.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I was a police officer we didn’t have badge numbers but we had individually assigned call signs and when I left it left with me, never to be re-issued again. As a federal agent I’ve had three different badge numbers, hell the first badge I got in Quantico was a recycled badge for some other former agent so for us badge numbers don’t mean shit, it’s our credential number that we use to identify ourselves.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#39]
when we retire, they will give us a retirement badge.
as it is now, it's stupid, when someone retires, we all move up a badge number so no one takes care of their stuff. my badge is rusty and yellowing, i wear it and tell them to buy me a new one when they complain about the condition.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#40]
My Dad got to keep one of his LT Badges and got several "Retired" badges.  A couple of his ID cards from the 50's and 60's that he promoted out of are still around.  We still have his first paycheck.

My son got the LT badge in a shadow box, along with my grandfather's and several other family member on his Mothers side retiree badges when he was sworn in as a Deputy.  We buried my son with one of the retiree badges this February.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#41]
If we want ours, we can pay to put them in Lucite (about $75).  No chance of keeping the gun or even buying them back when we switch weapons.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@PaDanby, sorry for you loss. No parent should ever bury their kid.
View Quote

It's been rough enough without the political BS these days.  He loved what he was doing.  Ma Danby's brother is an LT with LA Sheriffs in an area that runs up next to the Compton station area.  Her cousin is an LAPD Sgt working Robbery-Homicide,  just transferred from a major multi-agency gang task force so neither of them are on the streets unless they are going some place.  And won't be alone when they get there, so our tension leveld aren't quite as high as they could be.  Well you know the drill.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:02:17 AM EDT
[#44]
We get two badges for our Class A / Class B.   One is engraved with your unique badge number (employee PCN).  

You keep the engraved badge when promoted/retired.  

Up to now, I have all my badges from probie up to officer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If we want ours, we can pay to put them in Lucite (about $75).  No chance of keeping the gun or even buying them back when we switch weapons.
View Quote

Really? That's kinda odd for a state like Texas to have such draconian rules.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#46]
We don't get our badges as we promote or retire.  We get a retired badge when we go but thats it. I've got our millennium badge, an old style Detective badge I acquired during my time in that division and I've already informed my captain that my Sgt. Badge will be lost when it comes time to turn it in.   Cost is not as important as keeping the badges you wore at different times in your life.  Wish I could pound that through the bean counters heads.  I'll take the days off and replacement cost to keep my badges from here on out.

ETA:  @PaDanby, sorry to hear about your son. He holds a place of honor among us and his sacrifice will be remembered for as long as we exist.  To those who gave all in service to their community and nation, I salute you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#47]
I just found the email for our regional sales rep and sent an email from my dept account.

If we want our guns when we retire, we have to pay for their replacements.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I had to turn my badge in, but still had the replacement I had made for wallet carry. The guys did get me a commemorative badge for the 175th city anniversary.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They issue us a retired badge. You don't get to keep any issued badge here, either upon promotion or retirement.
If you paid for a badge type they don't normally issue, such as the special 2000 Millennial service or breast cancer awareness badges, you get to keep those.
View Quote

Our regular badge has a blank banner on it.  When you retire they take it back and send it out and have “Retired” put on the banner and present it back to you with retired credentials.  

I have the old style badege too, they were replaced about ten years ago with the current one.   Our badge numbers are also not reused so they have no use for them back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top