Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2022 8:53:30 AM EDT
In the last few years I have switched from buying lots of stuff to buying better stuff that my kids may want some day. Mostly that applies to guns but I'm ready to pull the trigger on what I think is a top shelf watch.  In the end I'm looking for something awesome for myself and if the kids want it some day they can have something sweet from the old man.

So far my watch collection includes a few nice but ordinary pieces from Hamilton, Seiko, ESQ. My daily is a Tag Formula 1 auto but the cr me of my collection is a Hamilton engineer pocket watch from 1909. It is the tits.

Right now I'm thinking about a higher end daily, more specifically the Sea Dweller, Submariner, or Omega Planet Ocean. I dig dive watches and they're pretty timeless designs. I have tried on the Sea Dweller and Sub and found the Sea Dweller to be a stunning piece of work. The Sub was cool but felt almost dainty in comparison. And every time I see someone wearing a Planet Ocean I get a little tingly. I also tried on a BB58 and while nice it was completely blown out by the Sub.

Now to the ugly part. On the gray market subs are about 100% over msrp but the Sea Dweller is only about 30% over. Planet Oceans are marked up very little if any. So if I'm buying something with the intention of keeping it in the family I can choke on the cost a little but don't want to do anything stupid.

So what says the hive?  Are there any other pieces you recommend and does anyone have tips on buying a Rolex?
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I did this last year. I settled on a circa 1999 Rolex 14060 (two line, no date sub) from DavidSW. No regrets.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive been intimate with the 4/5/6/6.5 series subs.

How big is your wrist?

Bracelet, strap, or both?

What is your budget?
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How big is your wrist?

What is your budget?
View Quote
Wrist is 7 3/4 tight.  My tag is a 43mm and on the big side but I like it.

Bracelet

$5-15k. Even 15 sounds outrageous to me but I probably have a good 30 years left to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at a 16610 to add to my collection for my 40th, I ended up buying a Tudor Submariner MFG date of ‘99 (wanted that gen for the sapphire  crystal), came with box, papers, service records, etc. purchased it off Chrono24. Extremely happy with it, glad I went with it over a 16610.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have always worn SeaDwellers since the original 2000m domed mineral model I bought in the military. I also have a 2007 with the sapphire crystal that’s been great too. Other than that I have my free Rolex DateJust from work (stainless/gold jubilee band with a champagne Roman numeral dial).
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Omega can be found for below MSRP with warranty easly.

Date Just are classic & starting to show up at AD's regularly

Submariner or Sea Dweller  are always a good choices classics!!!

While I personally like rose gold right now. I am not sure how it will age for men's watches.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't go wrong with the Omega or the Sub. I have one of each so both my boys will have something pretty awesome.

My Seamaster is about 15 years old, recently serviced and feels and runs like a champ. The Submariner was picked up as pricing was on the way up. Like another, picked it up at David SW. It's the watch I've always wanted. Depending on wrist size, David SW will price a Sub that's missing a link at a lower price. Make sure you're getting what you need.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bracelet

$5-15k. Even 15 sounds outrageous to me but I probably have a good 30 years left to enjoy it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big is your wrist?

What is your budget?

Bracelet

Go to as many local AD’s as you can. Ask to get on list for (name just ONE model) and give them some “woe is me I want to celebrate “X” or have a heirloom.

New is the only way to go for the dollar and a 126610 or even a SD43 Red Sea Dweller.

If I had a wrist that could pull it off this would be in play.

Also in the same vein you get the excellent 5 digit Sea Dweller which is still somewhat sane price wise on the market.

Ref: 16600

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, fellas. And the best part of this whole thing is that it was the wife's idea. What an awesome chick.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm late to the party, so why are gray market watches 100% over msrp, are legit dealers out of stock, don't they sell at msrp, or are they marking them up 200%?
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm late to the party, so why are gray market watches 100% over msrp, are legit dealers out of stock, don't they sell at msrp, or are they marking them up 200%?
View Quote

Supply & demand on Rolex
Some are found grey market New for below MSRP, some at MSRP, some above MSPR, some models A LOT over MSRP.
It really just depends on the model.
Submariners & Daytona, and GMT are going the most over MSRP.

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks, fellas. And the best part of this whole thing is that it was the wife's idea. What an awesome chick.
View Quote

That is awesome! Sub gets my vote.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The white gold and meteorite Daytona beckons me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've only been researching for about two weeks but have seen plenty of $9k subs on sale for $15-20k. Who knows if they're actually selling for that much but it's wild. The Sea Dweller looks like about $2-4k over.

on another note I stopped into another jeweler today and tried on another sub. It was gold and I don't do gold, but it felt great.  This research business is fun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
Cool. Not my style, but cool.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]
The Sea-dweller is a great watch, but it might seem big on your wrist. I certainly prefer the Sub with my 7-1/4" wrists. After having a chunky watch (Black Bay 41mm), I prefer smaller watches.

Let’s talk size for just a minute. If you’re considering purchasing a watch with intentions it’ll be worn by your children one day, you should consider their wrist size. If you’re considering buying a watch of value for yourself that will be worth something of monetary and sentimental value your children can look at and remember it as ‘dad’s watch’, then you don’t really need to consider the watch size. Just a consideration because the Sea-Dweller and the Planet Ocean are rather large watches. If you want something a little more modest (sticking with the diver theme), a Sub or SeaMaster 300 would be a great option as well. If you go outside of divers, you might consider a Speedmaster, Datejust, Railmaster, or Explorer. Your budget opens you up to a lot of other high end brands such as JLC, Grand Seiko, Cartier, IWC, or Zenith. There are some amazing watches out there for under $15k that aren’t made by Rolex or Omega.

That being said, in either case, Rolex or Omega, you’re getting a remarkable watch that can be handed down to your great grandkids. We have two pocket watches from the late 1800s that have been handed down through our family. They’re incredible and I think make a perfect heirloom piece that will be treasured down the road. My father has a Omega Railmaster that one day he will pass on that I will treasure as well. What you’re doing is special and will likely form the next generation into watch enthusiasts as well.

I would highly recommend not buying a Rolex on the grey market, unless you must have it right away. A good AD is looking to sell to enthusiasts, not flippers. Do your research, understand the market, be friendly and put your name down on a few lists. It's easy to get frustrated as you want to spend your hard earned money, even big money, on a luxury good, but they tell you that your money is no good. Don't get frustrated, some ADs suck, some are great. Enjoy the chase, it'll make finally purchasing the watch even better.

At the end of the day, pick the watch that calls to you most. Think on it for a few weeks, maybe months. If the Planet Ocean continues to ‘call’, that’s the one. Don’t let the difficulty of purchasing a Rolex deter you from getting one. You just have to play ‘the game’ to get one. The Sea-Dweller should be reasonably easier one to get, since many ADs don’t have a mile long list like they do Daytonas or Subs.

Good luck! I think what you're doing is great and will likely ignite a little spark for your children to learn more about watches.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Sea-dweller is a great watch, but it might seem big on your wrist. I certainly prefer the Sub with my 7-1/4" wrists. After having a chunky watch (Black Bay 41mm), I prefer smaller watches.

Let's talk size for just a minute. If you're considering purchasing a watch with intentions it'll be worn by your children one day, you should consider their wrist size. If you're considering buying a watch of value for yourself that will be worth something of monetary and sentimental value your children can look at and remember it as 'dad's watch', then you don't really need to consider the watch size. Just a consideration because the Sea-Dweller and the Planet Ocean are rather large watches. If you want something a little more modest (sticking with the diver theme), a Sub or SeaMaster 300 would be a great option as well. If you go outside of divers, you might consider a Speedmaster, Datejust, Railmaster, or Explorer. Your budget opens you up to a lot of other high end brands such as JLC, Grand Seiko, Cartier, IWC, or Zenith. There are some amazing watches out there for under $15k that aren't made by Rolex or Omega.

That being said, in either case, Rolex or Omega, you're getting a remarkable watch that can be handed down to your great grandkids. We have two pocket watches from the late 1800s that have been handed down through our family. They're incredible and I think make a perfect heirloom piece that will be treasured down the road. My father has a Omega Railmaster that one day he will pass on that I will treasure as well. What you're doing is special and will likely form the next generation into watch enthusiasts as well.

I would highly recommend not buying a Rolex on the grey market, unless you must have it right away. A good AD is looking to sell to enthusiasts, not flippers. Do your research, understand the market, be friendly and put your name down on a few lists. It's easy to get frustrated as you want to spend your hard earned money, even big money, on a luxury good, but they tell you that your money is no good. Don't get frustrated, some ADs suck, some are great. Enjoy the chase, it'll make finally purchasing the watch even better.

At the end of the day, pick the watch that calls to you most. Think on it for a few weeks, maybe months. If the Planet Ocean continues to 'call', that's the one. Don't let the difficulty of purchasing a Rolex deter you from getting one. You just have to play 'the game' to get one. The Sea-Dweller should be reasonably easier one to get, since many ADs don't have a mile long list like they do Daytonas or Subs.

Good luck! I think what you're doing is great and will likely ignite a little spark for your children to learn more about watches.
View Quote
Thank you for the thoughtful response. The idea is that this is a "now" purchase that could be an important piece in the future. If I do the SD43 and my boy is more suited to a sub in 30 years then he can trade it with my blessing.  If he'd rather carry an iPhone and keep the watch in a shoebox in the closet, well, that's ok too.
Either way we're still early in the process and having fun so far.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thank you for the thoughtful response. The idea is that this is a "now" purchase that could be an important piece in the future. If I do the SD43 and my boy is more suited to a sub in 30 years then he can trade it with my blessing.  If he'd rather carry an iPhone and keep the watch in a shoebox in the closet, well, that's ok too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's talk size for just a minute. If you're considering purchasing a watch with intentions it'll be worn by your children one day, you should consider their wrist size. If you're considering buying a watch of value for yourself that will be worth something of monetary and sentimental value your children can look at and remember it as 'dad's watch', then you don't really need to consider the watch size. Just a consideration because the Sea-Dweller and the Planet Ocean are rather large watches. If you want something a little more modest (sticking with the diver theme), a Sub or SeaMaster 300 would be a great option as well. If you go outside of divers, you might consider a Speedmaster, Datejust, Railmaster, or Explorer. Your budget opens you up to a lot of other high end brands such as JLC, Grand Seiko, Cartier, IWC, or Zenith. There are some amazing watches out there for under $15k that aren't made by Rolex or Omega.

That being said, in either case, Rolex or Omega, you're getting a remarkable watch that can be handed down to your great grandkids. We have two pocket watches from the late 1800s that have been handed down through our family. They're incredible and I think make a perfect heirloom piece that will be treasured down the road. My father has a Omega Railmaster that one day he will pass on that I will treasure as well. What you're doing is special and will likely form the next generation into watch enthusiasts as well.

At the end of the day, pick the watch that calls to you most. Think on it for a few weeks, maybe months. If the Planet Ocean continues to 'call', that's the one. Don't let the difficulty of purchasing a Rolex deter you from getting one. You just have to play 'the game' to get one. The Sea-Dweller should be reasonably easier one to get, since many ADs don't have a mile long list like they do Daytonas or Subs.

Sage advise above. Do take your time and enjoy the chase. Your favorite may change over a month or three(or more). Be sure to get something you really enjoy and will continue to enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Heirloom? I thought that was the domain of patek philippe...

Patek Philippe airs new "Generations" ad

I'm pretty sure this is a grey market one...

https://www.jomashop.com/patek-philippe-nautilus-automatic-blue-dial-unisex-watch-5711-1a-010.html

Or if you're feeling flush...

https://www.jomashop.com/patek-philippe-celestial-automatic-baguette-diamond-blue-dial-mens-watch-6104-1g-010.html
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Are we in GD?  Did I just get roasted for being cheap by contemplating buying a friggen Rolex?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are we in GD?  Did I just get roasted for being cheap by contemplating buying a friggen Rolex?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A quarter million for a new production stainless watch is absurd, and I love expensive watches. The Nautilus is well made but it doesn’t even really look like an expensive piece.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wasn't roasting you... a used Patek is far cheaper (rolex territory).

Complications tend to cost a lot though... like the solid gold celestial.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wasn't roasting you... a used Patek is far cheaper (rolex territory).

Complications tend to cost a lot though... like the solid gold celestial.
View Quote

I'm not sure how you were not trolling him with a recommendation of a Nautilus and Celestial.

Have you actually seen prices of a used Nautilus? The Nautilus is a neat watch, but I'm not sure they fall within his specified budget. Patek is so much more than just the Nautilus too. Patek has some really cool watches, but all of them blow his budget by a long shot. Based on the OP, I doubt he wants a vintage Patek either.

OP, you're in good hands looking for a Deep-Sea or Planet Ocean. I think you'll be able to snag one fairly quickly if you go talk with ADs and discuss you're really just looking for that one. Just make sure, once you get it to post pics here
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A quarter million for a new production stainless watch is absurd, and I love expensive watches. The Nautilus is well made but it doesn't even really look like an expensive piece.
View Quote
My own opinion is that most of the stainless steel Patek Phillipe watches look like a $200 watch you could see in the display at Macy's.  Maybe that is why the millionaires like them--to blend in with the hoi polloi.  Some of the gold calatravas look nice, though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#26]
This
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#27]

My dad's Deville, not a great picture though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144174/85538.JPG
My dad's Deville, not a great picture though.
View Quote
Awesome. Cool to have a piece of your old man.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#29]
So I stopped into another Rolex / Patek dealer in a really hoity toity part of town today. Apparently they've only been open for two weeks so I might be early in the game. The sales dude I talked with also said that several ADs in the area have shut down recently so they may get more stock. Dude was also wearing a $200k Patek, ugly as hell and I don't get it but good for him.

Fingers crossed, fellas.  If they do call with good news I'll have to take part in their fine whiskey selection while they size my new Sea Dweller.  I've made up my mind and that's the one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So I stopped into another Rolex / Patek dealer in a really hoity toity part of town today. Apparently they've only been open for two weeks so I might be early in the game. The sales dude I talked with also said that several ADs in the area have shut down recently so they may get more stock. Dude was also wearing a $200k Patek, ugly as hell and I don't get it but good for him.

Fingers crossed, fellas.  If they do call with good news I'll have to take part in their fine whiskey selection while they size my new Sea Dweller.  I've made up my mind and that's the one.
View Quote

OK, timer started [*rotates bezel]. Congrats and post pics when you get it!
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought a Rolex GMT 2 to celebrate my divorce. It will go to my son
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
ADs selling to known flippers for a cut of the profits.  Easy money without getting their hands dirty and without the wrath of Rolex directly. Hell, Rolex knows it's happening and could eliminate almost all of it if they used SN to see who they shipped to and where it was sold retail. They're candidly enjoying the run up of prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top