Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2021 9:33:15 AM EDT
Thinking of getting a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens from B&H.

I currently use my 24-120mm lens as my walk-around lens & I love the damn thing. It does anything I ask of it BUT sometimes I find myself wishing for a bit more reach on the zoom.

Would I be happy with a Tamron & saving $4-500?

Thoughts?

Link
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
maybe try ebay for a good used Tamron?  even more savings.   don't know how the Tamron compares to the Nikon, tho.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
80-400 is a better lens for reaching out. Faster motors ime, and one of the all-time greats for Nikons.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
80-400 is a better lens for reaching out. Faster motors ime, and one of the all-time greats for Nikons.
View Quote

I would think that is a bit too bulky for my tastes.

ETA: I went back & looked at the 80-400 lens. At 3lbs or so it may not be as bad as I thought. Do you always use a tri or monopod with your lens?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
28-300 is probably your best bet. I haven't used one but from what i have seen/heard it is a good one.

I have also used an 18-300 and was surprised to see that it performed better than what the internet said.

Also used a 70-300 VR FX my friend paid less than $300 used which is probably hard to beat at that price.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of these for walking about, but i wouldn't pay for new.

I went to Norway in March and i just missed the travel ban on the way out, I brought Tamron 24-70 G2, Old Nikon 200mm f4 ai and Voigtlander 58mm. That is my high speed low drag option for now

I have a Tamron 70-200 G1, both my Tamrons are damn good!
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never been a fan of the superzooms like the 28-300mm due to the optical corner cuts needed to keep the lens affordable.

The 24-120mm is reported to be a great lens. If you are willing to go with a two-lens solution, my recommendation would be to get the 70-300mm AF-S VR lens $500-ish.

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have never been a fan of the superzooms like the 28-300mm due to the optical corner cuts needed to keep the lens affordable.

The 24-120mm is reported to be a great lens. If you are willing to go with a two-lens solution, my recommendation would be to get the 70-300mm AF-S VR lens $500-ish.
View Quote

I've got a 70-300mm Nikon AF-S VR 4.5-5.6 but the one time I used it the photos didn't seem "sharp" to me. I probably need to revisit that lens, see if I was doing something wrong with it?

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would think that is a bit too bulky for my tastes.

ETA: I went back & looked at the 80-400 lens. At 3lbs or so it may not be as bad as I thought. Do you always use a tri or monopod with your lens?
View Quote

I never used it with a tripod, etc., I think with good camera posture just about anyone could handle it easily. It's roughly the same size as Canon's 70-200 if you've ever used one (since they're so popular/common).

That said, I am a fairly big guy, so imo. The only lens that I ever really needed a tripod was a 800mm f5.6 prime...that thing was a beast, but it sure was fun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The superzooms are always a compromise.
View Quote

Shit, so are the women I go out with...............  
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#12]
What camera are you using, OP?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If your body supports automatic fine tuning, it might help a bit. It's more effective for primes and smaller range zooms, but for the few minutes it takes to set up, it's probaly worth it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a 70-300mm Nikon AF-S VR 4.5-5.6 but the one time I used it the photos didn't seem "sharp" to me. I probably need to revisit that lens, see if I was doing something wrong with it?

If your body supports automatic fine tuning, it might help a bit. It's more effective for primes and smaller range zooms, but for the few minutes it takes to set up, it's probaly worth it.

Definitely check to see if AF fine tuning is an option for you.
Also check your hand-holding technique and your VR settings.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What camera are you using, OP?
View Quote

Nikon D600. Love this camera.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Definitely check to see if AF fine tuning is an option for you.
Also check your hand-holding technique and your VR settings.
View Quote
\

Hand-holding is ok as my other lenses are all sharp on pics except for this one. I probably had an incorrect setting when I was using it. I'll try it again this weekend if the weather co-operates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top