Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2023 12:14:53 PM EDT
What's the secret?  
I have strong legs, I always have and have been able to move decent weight.  But my legs are skinny.  Like chicken skinny.  And let's not even talk about my calves.  So what's the secret?  Over the past 30 plus years I've done every form of leg workout.  Big weight, small weight, big reps, low reps.  splits, days on, days off.  More recently, I've been inundating myself with workout videos.  You know, the ones that start with "If you want big legs, you have to do this.."  Or  "You've been training legs wrong your whole life."

I kind of gave up a few months back and just continued with the 5x5s.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Genetics.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Genetics is probably the biggest factor.

I've got small legs and probably always will.  I've found though making sure I focus on hamstrings a good bit has helped fill mine out a little more. I do quad stuff both leg days but one day is a little more quad dominant and one day more hamstring dominant.  I feel stiff leg Deadlifts and Nordic Ham Curls the most as far as hamstring stimulus.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The PERFECT LEG WORKOUT (The Science LIES!)
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
It's pretty well accepted that calves are only going to be big if you've been blessed genetically.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#5]
When you say strong, give us some numbers. Are we talking 225 or 495++? What's your body weight and height?

I think most people stick with the posture that they can lift the strongest/best, which is a mistake. I think* that's the just of the video above, but that dude was way too annoying and long-winded.

For example, if you can do 405xreps or whatever in your best stance, you should also try a lower weight and close stance with feet straight forward for example. Try some other stances too. Obviously some lifts with machines you don't want to create a rotational force, but for most lifts youre gtg.

Width also is helped by deep movements, which is another part where people go wrong. That's why things like Bulgarians S/S are so effective. Yeah, it hurts more and you lift less going deep on a squat, but that's what helps muscle growth, even if it's an ego blow.

Lastly for volume, even though it might be counter-intuitive, less weight and more reps (up to a point, like 10-12reps maybe, depending on your body) will build more volume than heavier and a lower weight.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Not currently, but squatting 450 at a bw of 160.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Not currently, but squatting 450 at a bw of 160.
View Quote

450 at 160 puts you into pretty darn strong. Did you ever try different stances or always the same stance?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:26:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cooper1] [#8]
No. Always the same shoulder width. Bar as low on my back as possible. I'm about as flexible as a hockey stick.
That was a max, not working weight.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Mainly genetics but calves seem to like a lot higher reps than other body parts. I’m actually seeing growth with 4 x 20-30 reps.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]
No one wants to hear this but squats aren’t the best exercise for hypertrophy of leg muscles.  I’m strong on squats for my body weight as well and always believed in them.  

My quads really started to grow when I started doing tons of super high volume leg extensions.  Isolation movements work well for size.  Lots of reps for lots of sets with high intensity to failure.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:
No one wants to hear this but squats aren’t the best exercise for hypertrophy of leg muscles.  I’m strong on squats for my body weight as well and always believed in them.  

My quads really started to grow when I started doing tons of super high volume leg extensions.  Isolation movements work well for size.  Lots of reps for lots of sets with high intensity to failure.
View Quote

That's interesting.  I always viewed ext/ curls as more rehab exercises.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]

That's interesting.  I always viewed ext/ curls as more rehab exercises.
View Quote

Watch all the top body builders...  very few squats and tons of high rep sets of hamstring curls, leg extensions, and other isolations.  

IMO low rep sets of squats for strength and lots of high rep sets of isolations for growth is the way to go and what I’ve been doing lately.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#13]
No. Always the same shoulder width. Bar as low on my back as possible. I'm about as flexible as a hockey stick.
That was a max, not working weight.
View Quote

If I were you I'd try adding close stance squats into your routine. I'll normally add them at the end of my normal squat sets (no real reason why at the end I guess), but whatever works for you. You will be doing a lot less weight, but I'll bet they'll grow your quads quite a bit. I know they have mine. They're uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it. Here's Arnold (size, not strength) doing what I'm talking about.

Like lefty said, more reps for size. Into the 10-12-14-15 range for the squats.

Arnold and Ed Corney- Squats
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d disagree with this, but EVERYTHING in fitness/health is debatable. IMO, squatting is the best mass builder for quads. I’ve always had decent size legs, not the strongest but good size legs. I struggled with leg size in my early 20’s until I became friends with a power lifter who WORSHIPPED squats. Since that day, I focused on squat technique and form and have maintained big legs. A$$ to GRASS
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Squats will grow legs strength and size with higher reps and sets resulting in more size gains than lower rep sets.  

Isolation leg movements done with extremely high reps and large numbers of total sets will result in more hypertrophy though.  

There are pro body builders who never do squats and have the largest quads and hams in the world.  

Dr Mike will also tell you squats aren’t even necessary for hypertrophy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got black guy calves, so does my dad, he's 20 years older than me.

I've played sports, hiked, hunted, worked outside my whole life and they are still just average. Training them for weeks at a time only gives me sore calves.

My dad's are about 1" bigger than mine....so I figure in another 20 years of just continuing to walk a lot I should see some serious growth.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Squats will grow legs strength and size with higher reps and sets resulting in more size gains than lower rep sets.  

Isolation leg movements done with extremely high reps and large numbers of total sets will result in more hypertrophy though.  

There are pro body builders who never do squats and have the largest quads and hams in the world.  

View Quote

This.

You need more volume OP.  

Your squats should be in that 4 X 8-12 reps.  Leg extensions into that 10-12 rep range for 4 sets.  You can mix in progressive overload and drop sets if you've got the energy.  If your 1RM is 450, try the above at 315-335 and add plates as necessary.

I love squats and deadlifts, but I'm using them to work my legs/core/back for overall strength.  For size, I use isolation exercises.

Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
I've got black guy calves,.
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rob78:

LOL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

LOL.

It's a joke, but not inaccurate. Very high insertions. I was always a decent sprinter and they've never petered out on me during any activity.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#20]

It's a joke, but not inaccurate. Very high insertions. I was always a decent sprinter and they've never petered out on me during any activity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

LOL.

I've heard it before, just not seen it posted.  Still funny cuz it's true.

An old buddy of mine was a drummer.  Massive calves.  We biked a lot, mostly XC and some single track.  My legs were smaller, but I'd crush him on uphill.

Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I like to keep squats in the 5-8 rep range for working sets with occasional heavy doubles.  Leg extensions and hamstring curls I like to push in the 20 plus rep range for tons of sets.  Even to the point of stopping for a second without getting up then forcing out a few more partial range reps to complete failure.  

I also like giant sets occasionally for legs.

Warm up with squats then get started...

Squats 5-8 reps, then immediately jump to leg extensions 20 reps, then go straight to calves to failure, then over to hamstring curls 20 reps.

Take a good 3 minute break then repeat the cycle.

Major pump and inability to walk after a few rounds of that if you choose the weights correctly and have everything setup to go from one exercise straight to the next.  

I have my own weight room so this is easy to setup with no one else to be in the way.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for the responses.  I'm going to try some of the things mentioned.  
I also really hate training legs, which is partly why I find 5x5 doable.  This feeling of "Here comes 20 minutes of giant suck" always gets me. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:30:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SWFLdude] [#23]
Who are these pros that don’t squat? Yates?? But the truth is he did squat,now he’s pushing the new agenda it’s not necesssry….and let’s not leave out the fact the guy was on enough juice to make an ant look like a rat. And just like every other pro bodybuilder. So it’s not even an apples to apples comparison to argue squats aren’t the best when you’re talking average fitness person versus a bodybuilder.

I’ve competed and trained; and squats are a staple in my workouts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:43:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lefty-weaver-g19] [#24]
Originally Posted By SWFLdude:
Who are these pros that don’t squat? Yates?? But the truth is he did squat,now he’s pushing the new agenda it’s not necesssry….and let’s not leave out the fact the guy was on enough juice to make an ant look like a rat. And just like every other pro bodybuilder. So it’s not even an apples to apples comparison to argue squats aren’t the best when you’re talking average fitness person versus a bodybuilder.

I’ve competed and trained; and squats are a staple in my workouts.
View Quote

Very few pro body builders do a lot of squatting but they all do a ton of leg extensions, hamstring curls, and other isolations though.  

Dr mike will even tell you compounds aren’t necessary for hypertrophy.  Not that he’s against compounds they are great but they aren’t necessary if hypertrophy is your goal.

Take away the drugs and pro body builders at the Olympia level would still beat us in hypertrophy gains because their methods and diet discipline work.  It’s not like you can do everything wrong and still look like them just because of drugs.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Nick Walker do squats although I’m sure he did at some point in his life.

I’m not against squats I do them at least 2-3 times a week, but I didn’t gain much size until I started adding high volume isolation movements on top of squats.

ETA: squats are the best at working the most muscles in a short period of time with a single movement.  Compounds in general are best for that and building strength, but when it comes to hypertrophy high volume isolations work very well.  

I lift as well but I dont think you want pictures of me in my underwear I get enough shit for posting shirtless pictures lol.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Touché. Btw, didn’t mean to come off like I’m coming at you. I just get a little passionate about working out. Outside of guns it’s my only other hobby. 🥸

I almost take offense to people who degrade squats.😂 I know that’s not what you were doing but, IMO, there is no equal substitute for squats. I have hurt my back deadlifting in the past(that’s a whole other topic) and couldn’t squat for quite a while. I was scared to squat for almost a year, so I spent that whole time killing my legs with all kind of accessory work and lost about an inch of size on legs. Finally, I saw enough and started squatting again, don’t remember the time frame but it seemed like no time, the size came back. And again, I went through it in my early 20s and finally was taught HOW to squat. The results came.

I can do 7-8 sets of squats and call it a day for legs and not be able to walk straight for 2 days, versus go in and do 5-6 different accessory exercises and feel like I could run a marathon the next morning.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Many different ways to do things.  I'm 49 and still do squats 2-3 times a week.  I believe they are important, but I started seeing size gains when I added in high volume isolation work after squats.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Rio Olympics 2016 | 3 lifters @ 217kg Clean and Jerk | 85kg bw

Which set of legs you want OP?  White boy on the right, right?

He don't give a fuck about aesthetics.  You know what he did?  An absolute FUCK TON of volume in movements that involved legs, at UNGODLY intensities, with the help of a SHIT LOAD of drugs.

When nearly every movement you perform engages your legs, and your "assistance work" is squatting variations, (and you do lots of exotic drugs), you gonna get legs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Genetics.
View Quote

five minutes of research would reveal that FPNI
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#29]
You may just have to experiment, but:

A low-bar back squat with knees spread is going to be more hamstring/glute dominant.

A high-bar back squat with knees closer, or a front-squat is going to engage more of the quads.

Squats are good and a critical strength component, but different variations will focus more on the “aesthetic” muscles.

If you want “big” legs for aesthetics, you’re going to want to engage the quads. Front squats, quad extensions, split squats, etc.

If you want “strong” legs for maximum power, youre going to want to focus on your glutes and hamstrings. Low bar back squats, good mornings, and deadlifts.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for all the advice.  I think I'll stick with the strength training and not worry about size.  I'm in my 50s so it's not like I'm going to be cruising the beach looking good.  LOL.

The genetics thing makes sense.  I have friends with bodybuilder legs that never workout.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#31]
If you want better calves switch to zero drop, flexible shoes for your daily walking around, running, and unweighted hiking.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

They also inject a pharmacy every day
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Need a video of you squatting op. Not calling you out just want to see to see what advice would be prudent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top