Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2021 5:16:06 PM EDT
The site has already moved its name server away from GoDaddy to a more friendly provider.

It should do the same regarding Amazon Web Services (AWS), if still running there.

With all the information coming out into the open about collusion against us by technology companies, staying on a potentially adversarial (if not adversarial already) platform is not a long-term option.

If this community is disrupted for more than a day or a week with a service outage, it could do lasting harm to the community as we've seen with other social platforms and groups on social platforms.

Some options include:

* Moving to a friendlier cloud (with a subset of feature parity), if one exists.
* Moving to a friendlier hosting-style provider, if the current software is not very cloud-dependent
* Self-hosting in a friendly data center, using traditional or cloud-style infrastructure (such as OpenStack or Kubernetes)
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We are working on a number of changes to provide us even better flexibility on moving. Portability, tech specific limitations, etc.  It's high on our priority list.

Outside of the norms of what it takes to run and/or move, we have been working with partners on hosting options from across the globe to keep companies who fall into someone's naughty list.

Folks do have to keep in mind that ARFCOM has always had base rules and will continue to enforce them. They have been there since day one (most of them) and will always be adjusted and clarified. Our goal is not to stifle discussion, but to keep out the things which do not belong.
View Quote

Any progress on the name change option?
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, but no eta still. On the shorter side of things though. So, soon-ish?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any progress on the name change option?

Yes, but no eta still. On the shorter side of things though. So, soon-ish?

I bet that work is similar to the alternate ID work that a lot of medical software providers had to do when they were banned from using full SSN in their systems as the primary identifier.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazon to remove more content that violates rules from cloud services

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Amazon-to-remove-more-content-that-violates-rules-from-cloud-service-sources-say/5-2484210/?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Agreed,  I support ARF getting far away from AWS if possible, if possible. (I know it's slim pickin's)
It's not about rules on this site,  ARF can play nice and fair but eventually AWS will change their rules and just maybe decide that simply being "pro gun" is itself a terroristic threat.
If you see Amazon stop selling holsters, gunsmith tools, and accessories, you'll know it's coming.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in favor of anything that allows the site to remain viable in spite of whatever the rest of the web does, or has done to it¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If that means going indie on our own....... Gotta keep the signal going man.........
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
General Discussion -> Amazon About to Break Out the Censorship Hammer
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Amazon-about-to-break-out-the-censorship-hammer/5-2484506/
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We are working on a number of changes to provide us even better flexibility on moving. Portability, tech specific limitations, etc.  It's high on our priority list.

Outside of the norms of what it takes to run and/or move, we have been working with partners on hosting options from across the globe to keep companies who fall into someone's naughty list.

Folks do have to keep in mind that ARFCOM has always had base rules and will continue to enforce them. They have been there since day one (most of them) and will always be adjusted and clarified. Our goal is not to stifle discussion, but to keep out the things which do not belong.
View Quote
Add my vote to this request.

Also, I'm unsure about your answer here. Do you mean that you're working on moving either way or that you are making preparations to move in case they force your hand?

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Just bumping to keep the archive monster at bay.

GB mentioned maybe talking about this some more but he has a lot on his plate right now. So, no rush.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just bumping to keep the archive monster at bay.

GB mentioned maybe talking about this some more but he has a lot on his plate right now. So, no rush.
View Quote

I was just noticing that several of my threads from the fall have fallen off my my topics list.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would table this for now and actually trash it for opsec. ...

I'll leave this for a day or two then probably trash it. I suggest we pick it back up, if needed, with a more generic topic and should refer to it simply as hosting or provider.
View Quote

Message received.

Thanks for the info. Your original post here makes a lot more sense now. In the future if I'm asking for something you all want to keep a lid on, you or mods/staff feel free to PM me and tell me to STFU  
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I would hope this has been accomplished by now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top