Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2022 12:29:41 PM EDT
I’ve carried a 9mm Shield IWB for the last few years.  I recently got a Glock 17 and 19X and want to carry OWB.  I have a Brovo Concealment holster for the 17 but nothing for the 19X yet.  I’d like to get 2 new OWB holsters for these guns and was thinking of all leather or that leather/Kydex hybrid material that some use.  What would you suggest?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I never recommend leather holsters for handguns that have their safety built into the trigger.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Galco. Combat master is a really good CCW holster option, if you don't want a thumb break
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like this DeSantis.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just received my owb holster for my Kimber 9mm. Diamond D Custom Leather. Wasilla Alaska. It did take almost 6 weeks to get it. Have bought from them before, always impressed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Kramer.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Aker Flatsiders for leather OWB, well made and confortable.  I also stsrted using a 1791 holster for my G43, that one is surprisingly good.  Definitely a snug fitting holster, need to follow the break-in instructions.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a look at 1791 holsters. Their owb holsters have a reinforcing piece of leather sewn outside at the mouth.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Galco. Combat master is a really good CCW holster option, if you don't want a thumb break
View Quote

So much this/Galco all the things. The Fletch high ride is pretty much the Combat Master with a thumb break. I often keep the thumb break unsnapped when concealed, but snapped when OC. I also have their Cop 3 Slot for the 17 and 19. Tend to be more expensive than the other brands but quality is excellent and worth it IMNSHO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
You leather daddies sicken me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Black point tactical has those hybrid kydex holster with leather wings so it’s more comfortable but you get the trigger safety of kydex.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Wright Leatherworks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Mitch Rosen all the way for me for OWB.  Had a few plainclothes assignments as a cop.  They conceal great, comfortable, durable, and the boning of the leather around the pistol is great.  You can practically feel it "lock" in when you reholster.  

To this day I still carry one daily for my G43.  Even in the Arizona summer, it's still pretty easy to conceal under a T-shirt.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I use both of these for OWB. Bianchi.

Black Widow Belt Slide Holster

Serpent Belt Slide Holster

Piranha Holster (Correction, I've got the Serpent not the Piranha).
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Take a look at 1791 holsters. Their owb holsters have a reinforcing piece of leather sewn outside at the mouth.
View Quote

I have four of their holsters, they are very basic but very tough and well made.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Black point tactical has those hybrid kydex holster with leather wings so it’s more comfortable but you get the trigger safety of kydex.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
this
View Quote

Have the same holster. Works well but recommend the 1.5in belt options
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Tucker Gun Leather.

My G20 has been riding in this holster for a quarter century.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Very happy with 1791 for my 17.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#21]
G17 in a Combat Master holster.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I never recommend leather holsters for handguns that have their safety built into the trigger.

View Quote

Use nature's kydex. Horsehide is thin and stiff.

Something like a 55bn style. This one is from Ryan Grizzle
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#24]
While Galco holsters are /nice/ they're pretty floppy. I have a three slot cop Galco with thumb break and it's been in the holster drawer since I became mature enough to know better.

A Safariland ALS holster or OWB is better than anything else in my opinion.

If I were to want a leather holster for a Glock it would be IWB and made by Comp-Tac (kydex hybrid) or Milt Sparks (horse hide).
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote

Because unless they're horse hide they're some floppy fucker and that floppiness can wind up in the trigger guard while re-holstering.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tucker Gun Leather.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20220112_025506417_jpg-2386082.JPG

View Quote

You guys cool with that big ass gap NOT covering the trigger guard? That is asking for an object to get in there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve been very pleased with the holsters I have purchased and used from 1791.

My G19/G45 holsters are the leather/carbon fiber offering from 1791.  I carry my Defender in an all leather model

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Milt sparks
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’ve carried a 9mm Shield IWB for the last few years.  I recently got a Glock 17 and 19X and want to carry OWB.  I have a Brovo Concealment holster for the 17 but nothing for the 19X yet.  I’d like to get 2 new OWB holsters for these guns and was thinking of all leather or that leather/Kydex hybrid material that some use.  What would you suggest?
View Quote

Milt Sparks, without a doubt.

This is an IWB example, but the point still stands.

Attachment Attached File

I have a Safariland OWB that I like as well, but I always prefer leather.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

It's fine if the opening is reinforced.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#31]
+1 for Wright Leatherworks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This really is the best answer. Quality leather made for the gun won’t interfere with the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Another question, thumb break or not?  This will be used mostly for out side activity’s like hiking and dog walks.  Might conceal it under a jacket when I go to the bad part of town.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

Wilson Combat for G19.Attachment Attached File

Azula for G21
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You guys cool with that big ass gap NOT covering the trigger guard? That is asking for an object to get in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tucker Gun Leather.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20220112_025506417_jpg-2386082.JPG

Those really aren't bad.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in this camp.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Another question, thumb break or not?  This will be used mostly for out side activity’s like hiking and dog walks.  Might conceal it under a jacket when I go to the bad part of town.
View Quote

I have a Galco holster without a thumb break for my G19, and have never been concerned about retention. The holster fits snug as it is, and once my belt is cinched up it holds the pistol even tighter.

I haven’t tried doing somersaults or anything crazy like that while wearing it, but have had no problems carrying while hiking and such.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.   Not really a good reason for Leather these days, and even less so on a modern striker fired pistol with the "safety" on the trigger.

If Kydex isn't comfortable, you could always do a hybrid but for securing the gun, I'd much rather have "not leather".

But it's a free country so you do you.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote

There’s been a few instances where the leather deformed and on reholstering activated the trigger causing Glock leg.  Sweat can make leather pliable.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There’s been a few instances where the leather deformed and on reholstering activated the trigger causing Glock leg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

There’s been a few instances where the leather deformed and on reholstering activated the trigger causing Glock leg.

Attachment Attached File

A well-made leather holster shouldn't have that problem though. Even if a leather holster does start softening up over time, it should be replaced long before it gets to that point.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because unless they're horse hide they're some floppy fucker and that floppiness can wind up in the trigger guard while re-holstering.
View Quote

I love leather holsters for non-Glock style handguns.  Nothing fits better or molds better to you.  But I'm 100% kydex for the tupperware.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I completely agree with this. Picked up a couple new Mitch Rosen Holsters recently to expand my carry options.

If you like Galco, M.R. Holsters are a step above in quality, even for the express line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mitch Rosen all the way for me for OWB.  

I completely agree with this. Picked up a couple new Mitch Rosen Holsters recently to expand my carry options.

If you like Galco, M.R. Holsters are a step above in quality, even for the express line.

Just took a gander at the M.R. site - very impressive products. I also like how they have a wider variety of belt shades (a guy needs to match his shoes ??).
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I like the DeSantis Speed Scabbard for OWB and the Inner Piece for IWB for my G17.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had one....ended up hating it.  After a while the leather wings loosen up and the gun doesn't stay tight to the body.  I threw it in the drawer and ordered a Blackpoint Tactical all kydex model and it's fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#47]
delete
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Check out Grizzle Leather
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I like my DeSantis
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.   Not really a good reason for Leather these days, and even less so on a modern striker fired pistol with the "safety" on the trigger.

If Kydex isn't comfortable, you could always do a hybrid but for securing the gun, I'd much rather have "not leather".

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Good leather is better than kydex. Cheap leather is worse.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top