Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2021 11:28:32 AM EDT
Looking at a good deal on a Phenix TL-2 leather with Miller upgrade.  Don't see a lot of reviews online within the last 2-3 years.  Anyone running a Phenix helmet?  I have been getting a lot of the "get a Cairns...just because".  Looking for a bit more info than that.  I've seen some not so great reviews on the Cairns N5A post-MSA buyout.  So looking at the Phenix to weigh the +/- on both.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Don’t have any direct experience with actual use but I’ve played around with the Cairns Sam Houston and the Phenix TL-2.  Between the N5A and Phenix we’d have to go the Phenix route since the N5A only meets OSHA but not NFPA requirements (unless that has changed, haven’t looked into it in a while).

From what I remember the TL-2 is lighter (again, compared to the Sam Houston) and seems to be pretty well customizable and rides comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
One is a leather helmet and the other is a larper. If you want a leather there is only one brand. Choose wisely.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
We wear them at work since they’re NFPA compliant.  No complaints.  Comfortable, sits pretty low and hold up well.  I would recommend the Nape strap suspension vs the ratchet.
Only really destroyed one in the last few years.  I was in a place i didn’t need to be and the shell began to separate from the liner.  It held up, but no helmet would’ve done well in that environment.

MSA Cairns is not the same as it used to be.  They’re shit and overpriced now.

If NFPA is no concern, find a refurbed pre MSA N5a.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses fellas, I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top