Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2021 9:41:00 PM EDT
So I’m remodeling my basement, and during this process, my washing machine died. In order to get that out of its spot, i had to remove the washing machine, which involved taking out the slop sink. Shut the valves off, and all was fine. Put a 5g bucket under the valves just in case.

Well, went down today and a slow drip has the bucket full. So now looking what’s the best route to take. Watched a little YouTube and they said to try and tighten a 1/4 turn or so B (on the valve). I’m thinking i May be better served to just replace from the valves to the sink (pex?). Any help, or advice, is appreciated.

Sorry for the rambling, venting after a long day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Turning on the nut usually works once or twice. Definitely try it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes, on valves that don't get used much, when you shut them off, they leak. But, when you turn them back on, they stop.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#3]
pics are always helpful
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sometimes, on valves that don't get used much, when you shut them off, they leak. But, when you turn them back on, they stop.
View Quote

This has been a problem with stop vales for many many years.

Buildup on the rubber contact surfaces accumulates and the valve will not close completely.

I have long made it a habit to operate every stop valve at lease one a quarter.

Any that fail to close completely are marked for replacement the next time I
have by soldering equipment out (B-tank and air-acetylene Goss torch).

When I was doing a lot of renovation work I paid for the B-tank.
had it for years now.
Exchange it when it gets empty.

Use it with oxygen for oxy-acetylene welding and cutting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top