Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2023 9:36:02 PM EDT
Our towns Solicitor is also a local defense attorney. He represents my PD in all legal matters. A while back he represented me personally in a federal civil suit that was dismissed.

My question is would it be a conflict of interest if he represents people I arrested? He was the defense attorney today in a jury trial. I asked our district attorney in court and was told he didn't want to hear any more about it. Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Our towns Solicitor is also a local defense attorney. He represents my PD in all legal matters. A while back he represented me personally in a federal civil suit that was dismissed.

My question is would it be a conflict of interest if he represents people I arrested? He was the defense attorney today in a jury trial. I asked our district attorney in court and was told he didn't want to hear any more about it. Inquiring minds want to know.
View Quote

Did you share with him, in confidence, information that he could use to obtain an acquittal in an unrelated criminal case?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The  obvious answer is that the question is moot based on the lack of ethics practiced by attorneys.

That being said, I am not sure what the conflict would be.  Lawyers and judges know cops.  Simply knowing a cop does not create a conflict.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you share with him, in confidence, information that he could use to obtain an acquittal in an unrelated criminal case?
View Quote

I haven't shared anything confidential. The civil suit was a sovereign citizen suing because a traffic stop took over 11 minutes. It was a nothing case but he represented me. He also was involved in our contract negotiations last year.  I'm just curious if this is a conflict.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does he still represent you? If so, then the potential conflict would be with the guy he's representing who you arrested. Which could be waived.

I would think that would go for any criminal defendant involving the agency he's also representing.

I once sued a cop in a 1983 case, had two jury trials and also a 4th circuit opinion, where I won. Then later I represented him and sued his employer sheriff's department, and they then were represented by the same lawyer who originally represented the cop back when I sued him. So who knows...
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure on that.  Smaller areas have a lot more back and forth like that.  Larger places it tends to be years of doing one side, then jumping ship to the other side.

One of our better traffic court judges used to be a traffic lawyer that I also dealt with frequently.  No issues in either role.

Seen plenty of lawyers who would say anything if you paid them.  So long as they are not one of those I would not be too worried.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
He’s a lawyer. Hell work for whoever is paying him. I’m sure it’s fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother hammered a large corporation for  close to $150 million in a corporate dispute.  After they watched him kick their ass in court, they fired their lawyers and hired him to represent them in other cases.  

No conflict since the new cases are unrelated to the beating he gave them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top