Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2022 1:59:21 PM EDT
I adopted a cat last year and he has grown big. Half Maine Coon, 22 pounds, and is about 5+ feet long tip to tail when stretched. Big dude. He's roughly 3 years old so hopefully done growing.

However, he is too big for the litter box that I bought when I got him. I'm looking for a bigger box, but nothing seems right. From what I have seen, he likes to turn around when he goes. He covers his poop (most of the time) but not the pee.

Also, as a big critter he can destroy a clean box in a day or two (I feed him good food). I thought about one of those robotic boxes but am not sure if he would use it....or get used to it. I don't know if he likes confined spaces as he hasn't been in a box since I brought him home (he walks on a leash like a dog when I take him to the vet).

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I have an idea.

I have a friend here who has two Maine Coons.

They got an extra large plastic hunting dog crate and use the bottom part for the litter box.

I think the Main Coon cats are pretty cool, but no longer want them around.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Large Mixing Tub

Creative Plastic Concepts  Large Mixing Tub 24-in W x 36-in L x 8-in D Drywall Mud Pan

Item #1176703

Model #206126

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crash55:
Actually, I have an idea.

I have a friend here who has two Maine Coons.

They got an extra large plastic hunting dog crate and use the bottom part for the litter box.

I think the Main Coon cats are pretty cool, but no longer want them around.
View Quote
Yup.  Or go to Target, Menards, or something like that and find a 3x2.5x2 tub for clothes storage and cut a square or round hole on the long side.  Use the lid for a tray. Open top lets air circulate so it dries out.  Extremely high sides keep accidents from happening and you can put a whole bucket of litter in at once.

This isn't a substitute for cleaning it daily but it should let your cats be more comfortable and reduce the mess.

Somehow a plastic tub with a picture of a cat on it brings a price 5 times what a storage tub without a picture of a cat does.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZCOP] [#4]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

This box will easily handle a couple of 22-25+ pound cats.

We have two of them in service.

Edit: Amazon seems out of them, but if they can be found elsewhere, I would still recommend it.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grimjaw5:
Large Mixing Tub

Creative Plastic Concepts  Large Mixing Tub 24-in W x 36-in L x 8-in D Drywall Mud Pan

Item #1176703

Model #206126

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/productimages/90931c17-90e1-4f1d-9c57-31eaa9efc03e/09827094.jpg
View Quote

That’s what I use and was going to suggest. They don’t cost much and are bigger and better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Use this litter.  Excellent odor control (I mix extra baking soda into it when I add litter) and the no-stick claim is real.  It clumps hard, and you don't get anything sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I use storage totes that are about 30x20x16, some of my cats send litter flying like a cartoon gopher digging so the extra height is very nice. None of them have any problems getting in, not even my 18.5 y/o before I had to have her euthanized.

Arm & Hammer Naturals is what I use for litter, the stuff is amazing. Pee doesn’t clump as hard as with clay litter but it’s still easy to get out without crumbling into pieces that fall through the scoop. I don’t ever have to change the litter, just top it off with an 18lb bag per box once a month. I put 2 bags in each box so they have plenty of depth. Tracking is a slight issue but with 6 cats I expect some.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my girls would back up to the side of a regular sized litter box and pee right over the side onto the floor.  Ended up getting a high sided box like below and use elastic jumbo liners.  Works well.  No more "accidents".

High sided litter box

Jumbo liners
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top