Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2021 10:46:48 PM EDT
I was traveling and now that I am home there is no wireless adapter showing in the Device Manager.  Could the adapter have come loose from the motherboard?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It is possible, usually two wires with little round connectors.
You could also try scan for hardware changes, could also be a driver thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Windows laptop...

Go to Device Manager...Network Device right click
Remove device...reboot.

It should reinstall the device IF it was a built in
Wireless connector.

If it was a usb adapter you may have lost it in your travels.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was traveling and now that I am home there is no wireless adapter showing in the Device Manager.  Could the adapter have come loose from the motherboard?
View Quote

Is it a Dell by any chance?  My dads just did this.  I tried the reboot idea and nothing worked.  It was a few years old, he was going on vacation and had to have wireless, he went out and bought a new Lenovo.

He has since put this one in the house and connected to Ethernet cable. Works fine like that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
That seems a little extreme - if the wireless adapter is toast (the little wires are the antennae, and won't affect whether the computer sees it or not) then you can get a usb adapter for less than $20 without even having to open it up.  You could also buy a new module if you want it to be internal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Windows laptop...

Go to Device Manager...Network Device right click
Remove device...reboot.

It should reinstall the device IF it was a built in
Wireless connector.

If it was a usb adapter you may have lost it in your travels.
View Quote
The wireless card does not appear in the Device Manager anymore.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is it a Dell by any chance?  My dads just did this.  I tried the reboot idea and nothing worked.  It was a few years old, he was going on vacation and had to have wireless, he went out and bought a new Lenovo.

He has since put this one in the house and connected to Ethernet cable. Works fine like that.
View Quote
It's an Asus.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That seems a little extreme - if the wireless adapter is toast (the little wires are the antennae, and won't affect whether the computer sees it or not) then you can get a usb adapter for less than $20 without even having to open it up.  You could also buy a new module if you want it to be internal.
View Quote
This is what I was thinking too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is what I was thinking too.
View Quote

OP, If you im me your address I will send you a Belkin USB wireless adapter

I have one ill send you n/c it's really no problem.
Windows finds it and installs the drivers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not entirely loose, but might have a flaky connection.  If you're intrepid, strip it down until you find the mini PCI-E card that will have wifi & bluetooth, and reseat it.  Don't fiddle with the two antenna-looking wires, those just go from the card to the antenna(s).
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there a button (toggle switch) to enable/disable wireless adapter?

Model should be on the bottom, google model # to help diagnose.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#11]
so some machines have an external switch to cut off wifi and bluetooth. mostly airplane mode.
it could have been toggled on accident and you never knew you had it. I would look for that first.

the wifi chipset is actually separate from the board. it is typically something up near the hinges on the case.
it doesn't usually come loose.

finally, I have noticed this happen on a couple of computers recently.
If you ignore windows updates long enough it takes away the wifi and network on it. you have to plug in a network cable and update windows for it to come back.
not sure if this is intentional or just coincidence.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Helped a friend with a Lenovo, Win10. He kept losing wireless adaptor.

Oddly, downloading the Win10 distro and putting it on a bootable flashdrive seemed to be the fix, at least once.

Win10 detected it and reloaded/repaired the main install.

Haven't heard back if it's gone flakey again.  Just another thing to try. (Unless I can't read. Which happens.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top